PDA

View Full Version : Dainese Lid

hydromonkey
23-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Was in the Dainese shop the other day an took a bit of a liking to one of the lids, so after trying it on and much deliberation I bought on (well to be precise my wife bought me it :) )

So as I normally do after buying anything big, I started researching the product after buying it. Always a good way to work :dizzy: So after much searching I found very little info on them so thought I work give a quick review of my experience so far.

To start with my pervious lid was a shoei xr1000 which I have had for years and really like. I had a fear that when going for a spin I would still use it over the Dainese lid. The lid itself is a similar weight to the shoei and as, if not more, comfortable. The first run I had with it was in about 21C temp and I had no heat issues so it seems like the vents work well, although you cannot fell the air coming through the vent like I could on the shoei. It was a bit quieter in terms of wind roar, but there was a slight whistling at certain speeds which was not distracting but could be heard. The vents in the top of the lid also rattled a bit at walking pace (sounded like one or two drops of rain hitting the lid as the wind pressure on vents dropped) but I would say that this will go away as the lid ages due to flies and other objects get lodged in them. While one the subject of the vent on the top of the lid they do seem a bit flimsy, so will be keeping an eye on them.

So to the question, which lid will I be using?

I have to say it will be the Dainese for one main thing. It seems to have better aerodynamics that the shoei. This causes substantially less neck strain, which I am sure you all can appreciate is a big plus when it comes to monsters. It would defiantly not be the same quality as the shoei but it is close and at £280 with a dark visor thrown in I think it was not too bad price wise. As for crash protection, I have no idea and hope not to find out, but so far I have no reason to doubt it from what I have seen so far.

I will keep you updated. Plus hope to add some pics soon

Albie
23-07-2009, 01:14 PM
interesting review. you know for sure that you will get a safe lid with that brand. i think a lot of reaons they may not be as popular as say an arai or suomi is that advertising or lack of top riders promotion whilst their leathers and boots are premier class. i must say i prefer the look of my agv lid but nice to know your liking it.

hydromonkey
23-07-2009, 01:21 PM
To be honest at the time it was the AGV that I like more but I could not get one to fit, I must have an odd shaped head.

Albie
23-07-2009, 01:26 PM
To be honest at the time it was the AGV that I like more but I could not get one to fit, I must have an odd shaped head.

well there you go i have. :twak:

buzzbomb
23-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I wore a shoe Wayne Rainey for years but on the way back from WDW 2007 I bought a dainese lid from the dainese shop in Riva and a find it much quieter and a hell of alot lighter, the only thing that i don't like is the way the strap threads through the D clips I prefer the old style press stud.
It's a great helmet and the tricolore colour scheme is the "dogs", plus I got a tinted visor thrown in and a pair of dainese gloves for £29.