PDA

View Full Version : Monster 695 Won't start

mfosker
22-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi,

Sounds like a lot of similar threads, I've had a search and seen some words of advice that I will try when I get home,in this thread:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=29121

but I could also do with being let in on any other tips or voodoo that I need to know when my bike won't start.

Whilst I recognise that there may be some kind of component that is at fault, I suspect that it is more likely that I am doing something wrong, since I only got the bike last week and have only used it for 5 journeys in that time it would be too much of a coincidence that something just failed. More likely that I am daft.

It's a monster 695, 56 plate and it has the Datatool S4 alarm fitted.

I turn off the alarm, the indicators flash as they should to show that the alarm is disarmed. I insert the key, turn it on, check that i am in Neutral, the headlight comes on fine, I raise the kickstand, give it some choke, and press the starter button. the headlight Dims as I would expect, there is a click (presumably a relay somewhere) and then there is silence.

I've tried with the clutch in, with the kickstand down, with the kickstand up again and numerous combinations of that. I've tried kicking it into first and back into netural (although kinda tricky when the bike isn't moving) and I've also tried taking the seat off and giving a flick to what I think is the relay mentioned in another post.

Is there anything else that I should be trying?
The 5 journeys I have taken on it were all since Wednesday, the first 90 miles, the rest between 4 and 8 miles. Could it be that the journeys are too short and don't give time to charge the battery? There was no indication that it was struggling when I last started it on Friday (although it only got moved about 5 yards on that occasion). I would guess that if the battery was low that the headlights would not come on so bright. (?)

Is there some technique to definately get it into neutral?

Failing all that I'll try finding the Solenoid and giving that a whack.

Or could there be something up with the immobiliser?

Any advice for what I can try greatly appreciated. Sympathy also appreciated, I can't tell you how frustrating it was to have this happen on the first dry day on my first bike that I've only owned for 6 days.

Cheers
M

Scootaboy
22-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I know people do sometimes have problems with the alarm draining the battery and maybe thats at fault, but I'm not too technically minded to be honest.

I start mine on the stand, just turn the key, wait for the dash lights to calm down, press the starter then use the fast idle if it needs it (its not a choke as such).

I've never had any problems starting regardless of the weather, and I know these bikes have a real good reputation for reliability, so I'd say its the alarm, but you'll get better advice from others on here :)

good luck and dont give up hope, its a fantastic bike!!

Lucati
22-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi,

I hope this doesn't sound like a really stupid suggestion but I did it once! You didn't accidentally hit the 'kill switch' (red one with the picture of a round arrow and a line through it).
I sat in a bike park for half an hour once checking all sorts before I realised that the curly cable on my disc lock had pushed the kill on!

Alternatively it might be the ignition switch. (That went a bit dodgy on my 695 once)

or

Check there isn't any muck or stuff in the side stand where the other kill switch is located. Does it start in neutral on the stand?

That's about as far as my technical knowledge goes i'm afraid!

mfosker
22-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks, If it is the kill switch then I shall be kicking myself. Definitely something to check when I get home, no idea why I didn't check that this morning.
Any other suggestions? This has got me thinking that I need to check the battery and get an Optimate as well.

Paivi
22-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I know people do sometimes have problems with the alarm draining the battery and maybe thats at fault, but I'm not too technically minded to be honest.

I start mine on the stand, just turn the key, wait for the dash lights to calm down, press the starter then use the fast idle if it needs it (its not a choke as such).

I've never had any problems starting regardless of the weather, and I know these bikes have a real good reputation for reliability, so I'd say its the alarm, but you'll get better advice from others on here :)

good luck and dont give up hope, its a fantastic bike!!
What he said. The alarm drains the battery at a rate of knots.

mfosker
22-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I'll definitely be digging out the Multimeter as well, assuming that the kill switch isn't off ;-)
Thanks for the suggestions.

Duke Konan
22-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll definitely be digging out the Multimeter as well, assuming that the kill switch isn't off ;-)
Thanks for the suggestions.

This may be a daft response to this but I had something similar happen when I first picked up my Monster from the shop last year. The key ring had 2 keys on it (one red one black) and for some reason this resulted in exactly what you're referring to. I removed the red key from the key ring and that sorted it right out.

mfosker
22-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks,
The Red one is hidden away in the house with the paperwork, but useful to know that could be an issue in the future.

retskcid
22-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Definitely check your battery first. I had starting issues and sorted them by replacing the battery, R/R and sprag clutch! I now have a voltmeter on the bike.

I prefer these to the optimate (i have three of them now):

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=104&gclid=CPngqIjc6ZsCFd0B4wodAUUo7A

costco were doing them for £35, and if the battery is toast it will tell you because it indicates when the battery is fully charged.

*edit* I think the previous owner had probs with my bike because he didnt know the R/R was fecked and just kept charging the battery, a voltmeter would have saved lots of head scratching and possibly the battery and sprag clutch.

Cutter
22-07-2009, 04:47 PM
+1 on battery voltage. Had this many times with my wife's 695 when left not running for a while, even though only has factory immobiliser. Am having similiar problem with my honda CB1300. It seems these modern bikes with fuel injection etc don't turn over even if the voltage is only slightly down. Headlights are on, dashlights don't dim if you put it on high beam etc etc but there just isn't enough juice to satisfy something in the electronics. You just get clicks. On an old bike it would try to turn the starter and if battery too drained you would hear it was too slow... Just my old git tuppence worth. If you get a tester on and it suggests this is the case then you need an optimate charger/conditioner. They are great.

Nickj
22-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I sat in a bike park for half an hour once checking all sorts before I realised that the curly cable on my disc lock had pushed the kill on!

:D Errrrr Don't know what I was thinking one morning but got to be deeply puzzled and confused as to why the engine was cutting out when I flicked the switch for main beam ....... LOL Now all please forget that I admitted to that!!!

I'd be checking the battery first (probably still on the original battery)t, Regulator output next followed by relevant relays.
Smart money would probably go on the battery

mfosker
22-07-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm very embarrassed to say that Lucati was spot on, so embarrassed that I even thought twice about posting here to admit my foolishness.

Suffice to say that next time my bike won't start, I'll have plenty of ideas about what I can test to fix it, but the first thing I'll check will be the *ahem* cut off switch.

Scootaboy
22-07-2009, 09:17 PM
:):):):):):):):)

and :)

;)

mfosker
22-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Honestly I feel like a complete tw@t. Especially going back to read my original post.
Still on the bright side, it meant I got a quick ride in this evening when I got home.

BTW thanks to everyone for your suggestions

LouSCannon
23-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Honestly I feel like a complete tw@t. Especially going back to read my original post.

Bet you'll never do it again though! :)

Scootaboy
23-07-2009, 09:12 AM
we've all done something of similar stupidity so dont worry too much :)

Lucati
23-07-2009, 09:26 AM
At last! I have been able to answer a technical question!

At least you didn't call out the AA or worse still, get it collected and taken to a dealer to get it looked at, that would have been way more shameful!

And to top it all, Saturday is meant to be sunny in the south so perfect for a ride (Kill switch permitting)

Lucati
23-07-2009, 09:36 AM
p.s. everyone on UKMoc are very nice and helpful but I can't help feeling there should be some level of p*ss taking for this so may I be the first to say....NUMPTY!!!!

BluprintZ
23-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Yep, been there, although i didn't flick the switch, someone else did when it was parked up in Bangor a few months back!
Whether they did it for a "larf" or not i dunno, it didn't take me long to suss it but nonetheless, i was a bit narked off.
It can be an easy thing to miss, for me anyway`cos i never use the kill-switch, still not quite sure why they fit them when the ignition switch is in front of you!!
Don't feel bad mate, at least you've learned something new and knowledge is power.

G : )

damo
23-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Happened to me the other day not far from the West End in front of a big shot Hotel, was stuck in traffic and while messing about with my right mirror -which kept wobbling about- the engine suddenly came to a halt and no way to start it again.. :cry:

Had to push through 3 lanes of cars and then spend the next 5 minutes going through everything I could think of (not that much, I just think slow really) but again not even a faint sound from the bike when pressing the start button.. :hissy:

That's when I finally thought of the kill switch and sure enough it started first time :banghead:
Must have looked like a total muppet to the large crowd of pedestrians and cars around.. Never again!

Paivi
23-07-2009, 11:42 AM
*sneaks to the carpark to fiddle with Damien's kill switch* :D