PDA

View Full Version : time for new helmet

Albie
19-07-2009, 03:42 PM
knackered agv gp pro

i have a nasty chunk of paint taken off my helmet where i hit the road. i knew i clouted it pretty hard as i felt it. i must say that considering the stupid slow speed of my mishap the damage is considerable. the money i forked out for it 4 and half years ago was a lot for me but in the end worth it. it cost me around £260 and well under the price of an arai.

been looking for an exact replacement and they still have them but not in red. glad in a way as no red bike. amazing thing is that its now £189. in black and silver.

Snips
19-07-2009, 04:45 PM
knackered agv gp pro

i have a nasty chunk of paint taken off my helmet where i hit the road. i knew i clouted it pretty hard as i felt it. i must say that considering the stupid slow speed of my mishap the damage is considerable.

Considering from your report that your head is fine (touch wood!) then it seems to have done a great job - it took the impact rather than your skull / brain - phew!

I would be looking to replace a helmet at that age anyhow.

All seems money well spent. Kudos to AGV.

slob
19-07-2009, 05:33 PM
4 1/2 years!

The lining would be slack and shagged if it was mine but then I ride almost every day.
I swear by cheap (£220 Arai Condor, and I've crash tested a few) My last off was 3-5mph and I dinked and replaced my lid... again. But after 2ish years the new one felt a much better fit.

Whatever you trust and feel comfortable in is good.

No plain red Arai options for the last few years sadly.

Albie
19-07-2009, 06:37 PM
its still as tight as the day i got it. they struggled to remove it. mind you i was lying flat on the deck :eek:

only sign of wear was strap getting grubby

the other week i was looking at getting a new one down cmw's. deja vous :eek::eek::mand:

retskcid
19-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Different brands seem to suit different shapes of heads, my heads the shape of an arai!

Rob, have you tried an expensive arai? I had a lovely RX-7? (old top of the range job bought at a bargain price). Had it for 5 years til it got nicked with my top box. I couldn't afford another so I bought a cheap arai (with screw on visor!!) and i hate it......

Albie
19-07-2009, 07:42 PM
mine suits an agv. it fits like a glove and i love the rear shape of the gp pro.

gremlin
19-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Tother half has an AGV now after very disappointing Craft (it dented after he dropped it onto carpet, thank goodness it wasn't on his head and hitting a lamp post or something when we found out how weak it was, it wasn't cheap and Craft couldn't care less). The AGV is probably one of the better helmets he's had. Do think it's best to stick with a helmet manufacturer once you've found one that is comfy, they do vary so much, unfortunately some suffer from wind noise and you don't find that out until you've bought it and ridden in it. Mines fine unless I'm pillion then at certain speeds it sounds like nails on a blackboard which is hideous, may be that I don't go fast enough on my own or it could be the way wind is deflected and catches it wrong.

benson
20-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I bought mine last time Hein Gericke has one of their offers on - and I think they're having the same thing at the moment if you sign up for their website deals - mine's the GP tech in black and 5000 miles later I still love it - even more every day actually, it's fantastically well ventilated and the comfort really suits my head. Happy shopping - see this as an opportunity Albie - and of course a safety measure!:cool:

Albie
20-07-2009, 08:33 AM
yes benson i got mine there before and also brought caroline one from there. thats where the replacement will come from too.

PDL
20-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I am due a new helmet, as I have an RX-7 which is 5 years old though it hasn't had constant use and still fits very tight I am going to replace it.

I have picked 4 helmets from the governments SHARP test which all get 5 stars:

AGV S4 - J&S £160
AGV Stealth - J&S £176
Bell M1 - Bell £150
Caberg V2r - HC £118

The Bell M1 comes in a great shade of red with a white stripe.

Edited: Spelling mistakes.........durrrrrrrrr.

Ginger
20-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a AGV S4 and it is brilliant for the money.
It's lightweight, Stylish, comfortable, brillaint ventelation, 5star SHARP rating and is pretty good value.
It's also available in a range of colours.
The only down side to it is the seatbelt style fastner. I prefer the double D-ring as it is adjusted everytime you ride while this bloody thing you have to spend 5 minutes working out how much you need to adjust it.
And if it is good enough for THE DOCTOR its good enough for me ;)

supertjeduc
20-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Try a schuberth C3
I always used Arai's and the C3 is so much better