PDA

View Full Version : No Clutch???

madhatter
29-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Guys,

The 750 Monster (wet clutch) has been standing for a while over winter. After doing some basic repair work, new front tyre, new pads, new battery etc, I fired it up ready to scrub in the new tyre and pads only to find the Clutch Lever completely limp with no return pressure.:scratch:

Sure enough, if I pulled it in and kicked it into gear, the bike lurched and stalled, so there isn't any clutch.

It looks like the piston on the clutch lever itself is moving back and forth ok, there is clutch fluid in the reservoiur at the correct level, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be or can you suggest some things I can try that may help (bleeding it, or clobbering with a hammer to loosen stuck pistons etc) :confused:

All advice gratefully received.

HAT.

Albie
29-06-2009, 05:00 PM
My s4 did it once as 900 as 748 also when not used over winter. Sounds like air. I used the system where pulling lever in until bubbles come up through reservoir.If you get something then continue.Or cable tie your lever in and over night it bleeds. No guarantee but has worked for me.
If not the old bleeding kit

Blah blah
29-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Is it an early 750 with the clutch hose attached on the right hand side, or a later one with it on the left?

Mines an early one, and the clutch operating thingy (getting technical now) is part of the actual right hand crank case. This piston has 2 seals and they get hard / change shape over the years and stop, err sealing. I had this problem which resulted in the clutch releasing itself even when the lever was fully pulled in - which made it interesting at junctions. The brake fluid level never dropped though :scratch:

2 new seals taken from a new piston and put on the old one cured it, and if you're careful, you can do it without losing all of the oil out of the engine. (I took the seals off a new one because the new one was a tight fit - tight as in it was ever so slightly oversize so it wouldn't actually fit).

Sorted. :thumbsup:

If it's a later one, dunno, sorry

madhatter
30-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Cheers Albie, I'll see if I get any bubbles in the reservoir first, then may try the cable-tie option, as I'm hoping something is just going to loose up and start working again.:thumbsup:

Regarding the clutch hose Bla Bla, If the above doesn't work, I'll have a look as I'm not sure if it's on the left, then might ask for a few more details about how to change seals without covering everything in oil......I still remember those photos from Markus with a huge pool of oil over his wooden conservatory floor!:D