PDA

View Full Version : tail bag

granty80
28-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Im thinking about buying one of the tail bags sold by the main dealers for my 696 and just wanted to know if anyone had one and what you think of them? One of my main concerns is that im only about 5'4 and dont find it that easy to throw my leg over anyway is it going to be impossible with one of these fitted? or any techniques anyone can reccommend??
Thanks

Albie
28-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I think you may have to kink your leg if not how about a tank bag, You can get them that are 2 piece and so dont need all of it unless your touring.

http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/ducatiaccesscatalogue.php?cat=ducati%20accessories&detail=33335

CK & AK
28-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Got one & have used it on mine - no probs with it (am 5ft 5 but have shortish leggies :o)
When fully loaded, I just 'kink' my leg through the gap.

a not particularly agile CK

granty80
28-06-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks for the prompt replies. I think if you can do it at 5'5 CK then I should be able to cope think il get one and see how it goes Im new to bikeing and think that id prefer to have something on the rear seat instead of a big tank bag that might restrict me also like the idea that it fits onto the bike with out any alterations.

Albie
28-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Im sure you can reach round and zip it on/off if not as you may well be returning or leaving with it anyhow. Looks a good little bag. I have no room for a bag on the back.No jokes please dont you even dare ;);)

CK & AK
29-06-2009, 06:53 AM
thanks for the prompt replies. I think if you can do it at 5'5 CK then I should be able to cope think il get one and see how it goes Im new to bikeing and think that id prefer to have something on the rear seat instead of a big tank bag that might restrict me also like the idea that it fits onto the bike with out any alterations.

I'm only in Woking, so if you want to pop over & 'try' the getting on routine before you buy, then drop us a PM.

Mind you, Snells will let you do that anyway :)

CK

gasman78
29-06-2009, 07:32 AM
The tail pack is 'ok' and relatively easy to use. It also gives you a couple of small storage pockets on the base which are quite handy. If you expand the bag to its full size then it is very difficult to get you leg over. The zip that holds the bag on can be a bit fiddly to do up as well. Also, when its off the bike, it looks a bit like a ladies make up bag. Someone accused me of having a 'man bag' the other day, and protestations that it was really a manly motorbike bag did not seem to persuade them otherwise!
The ducati catalogue shows some new side mounted tail bags that are suitable for the 696 and 1100. presumably they are heat resistant? These might be worth a look. (thy are in the general catalogue, not the .monster bit of the website). Anyone had any experience with these?

Redkite
29-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't think the panniers are available yet but the tail pack is great and no fuss with straps.
When I'm using it for more than a day, I just remove the seat complete with bag and take it indoors.
Getting on and off is dependent on how agile you are and how much gear you're wearing!. I usually stand on the LH side next to the tail bag (looking forward !) and just put my right leg over the saddle. It's quite low with the bike on the side stand I'm about 5'6".

Lucati
29-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I bought the Ducati Performance tail pack and ventured out in heavy rain (well actually it was sunny when I left!). When the rain started I pulled over and fitted the waterproof cover that comes with it and thought that would do the job. Unfortunately the base of the bag that sits on the saddle is totally porous and soaked up gallons of water, everything in the bag got soaked including my digital camera. You have to wrap everything in plastic bags to be safe which is crazy considering it set me back nearly £150.

Id shop around for something less pretty but more functional personally!

Banus
03-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Yep - I agree with the last. I was surprised how much water the base let in considering the rider shields the bag from the bulk of the rain. My rain cover has developed a split already:hissy:
Great bag though and I managed a week at the NW200 out of it.

Redkite
04-07-2009, 07:10 PM
That'll happen with any bag excepting maybe some courier bags. If you go hill walking, mountain climbing, biking, sailing, camping, whatever, you keep your your gear dry by packing it in plastic or waterproof (roll top) bags first.