PDA

View Full Version : M600 Buying advice

bex
24-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Sorry title should say M900, though I'm mainly looking at 600s I happened upon a nice 900.

I've found a great looking M900 1994... the description says it needs a starter relay... I've done no technical work on bikes before. Could I do this myself and do I need it to ride away from the buyer?! How much to get it done at a garage?

Also, I see a lot of ads which say 'bump/scratch on tank', does anyone know how much it costs to get small bumps knocked out?

Thanks

Albie
24-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Relays are not dear but you need to phone a few places to see whether in stock. I had one go the day I got my s4 and was warranty so I haven't a clue how much exactly. Lots of threads on here so a search may help. Dents can be fixed depends how deep. Maybe better of complete respray tank.

Good luck on purchase.

Link here to relay one of many.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=32791&highlight=starter+relays

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/search.php?searchid=1162117

bex
25-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Good to know thank you!

Rockhopper
28-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Ask yourself if its a simple fix such as changing a £6 relay why hasn't the owner done it already? Monster tanks are very vulnerable, most dents i've seen are from dropping the bike, the bars bend and put a dent in the front of the tank.

bex
28-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Point taken... dont know enough to know what it was or how much it costs, thanks!

Zimbo
29-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Could mean the starter solenoid, I didn't think the 900 had a starter relay? A bit more difficult to get to and a little fiddly but can be done at home, about an hour's work, the one I had to buy was around £20 new from Ducati. If it's cheap and otherwise in good condition I'd buy it - check it's the solenoid and not the starter though by shorting across the terminals with a spanner or something and see if the starter spins the bike.

Rockhopper
29-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Could also be the sprag clutch, much more expensive to change.

Zimbo
29-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Could also be the sprag clutch, much more expensive to change.

Easily tested, if the starter spins but the engine doesn't it could be the sprag clutch, if the starter doesn't spin it's probably the solenoid.

Darkness
30-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Could mean the starter solenoid, I didn't think the 900 had a starter relay? A bit more difficult to get to and a little fiddly but can be done at home, about an hour's work, the one I had to buy was around £20 new from Ducati. If it's cheap and otherwise in good condition I'd buy it - check it's the solenoid and not the starter though by shorting across the terminals with a spanner or something and see if the starter spins the bike.

It also could just be the battery; when they get a bit old they lose voltage and can't spin the starter motor from cold and fire the ignition at the same time, and when they get really old they don't even spin the starter motor. Try a multimeter to check the battery voltage if you take a look at it?

Rockhopper
01-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Also repeatedly trying to start it with a flat battery is a sure fire way to wreck the sprag clutch.