PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Pleased to meet you!

inframike
24-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi,

My name is Mike and I own a 96, Monster 600.

Ive always wanted a monster, ever since I first saw one and, as a newly licensed 19 year old took one for a test ride. It nearly ripped my arms off!

11 years on I achieved the dream and, even though it's not in the best of condition, it's mine. :heart:

Sadly however, in October last year it was stolen....:thumbsdown:

Happily it was recovered the same night but it was in a sorry state. Snapped sub frame on both sides, snapped levers, broken pegs, stolen mirrors and snapped number plate and the steering lock was broken.

9 months on and I got it back on the road at the weekend! :yoparty:

BUT i have some questions....

Has anyone got any original mirrors for sale? Or know where i can get a salvage pair or alternate pair - I dont want bar end mirrors.

Cleaning - the bike needs a thorough clean, whats the best equipment to use and best techniques to clean the hard to reach places...

Engine - needs a repaint!! remove engine or paint around? Enamel or Paint

Valve Clearances - easy job??

Thank you - hopefully see you at the track!

Mike

MonstaChicky
24-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi and welcome :)

You going to be tracking your Monster too then? :)

I replied to your other thread about the mirrors......PM me if you're interested....

Nicky

inframike
24-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi,

Yes I am going to track it.... it may be old but only covered 12k and plenty of life in her yet. My plan is to slowly restore her an clean her up and track her every now and again. It'll be good practice and experience while I save for a 749 (hopefully) in a couple of years.

Im thinking about joining the track day on here in August...

How do monsters handle on the track?

MonstaChicky
24-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm enjoying mine but then it's the only bike I've tracked so far...not got as much grunt on the straights as the big boys but he handles well through the bends :)

Kato
24-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Welcome and enjoy

Can't help you with the mirrors but as for cleaning I use FUCH's and a set of nylon brushes seems to work a treat, Valves well its a fairly easy task if you have the right tools, and painting the motor is always going to be easier and a far better job if you take it out first.

Now if you want to know how they go on track well just look here http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=33580 to see whats trying to keep up.

inframike
25-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the mirrors Chicky!

Kato - Thanks for comments, I think im gonna do my engine over the winter, commandeer my parents garage for a few long weekends...