PDA

View Full Version : Flat battery (again)

Phatty
18-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Yuasa battery, 18 month old. The bike was stood for 2 months yet started first time. But it's happened twice at work now, battery has either been too weak to crank and start the engine or flat as a fart. Yet would jump off with ease when hooked up to a car.

I'm so paranoid about leaving the heated grips on or the parking light I always double check, yet the bloody thing is still going flat! It's embarrassing and annoying , any ideas?

pegboy
18-06-2009, 07:45 PM
although your switches may be off there might still be current being drawn somewhere, like the old Glove compartment light in the car when it wouldn't close on the switch correctly, anyhow if you have a volt meter disconnect the positive terminal lead and connect the volt meter inbetween the battery positive and the lead if your shown a voltage then you need to start isolating areas to find what is staying on.

gremlin
18-06-2009, 08:37 PM
just as likely to be a dodgy earth

mr G

kneedown
18-06-2009, 08:47 PM
is it easy to adjust the chain on a s4r 2005.
i always worry about not doing it right

Phatty
19-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Already had the dodgy earth so I checked that. Tried not having the heated grips on at all yesterday and it was fine. They're meant to turn themselves off but they draw so much current until try do that the battery is all but dead. I guess I just forgot to turn them off that day. Or some teat at work is turning them on....

moony
19-06-2009, 10:01 AM

Kato
19-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Fit one of these.....

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/kato--/KickStart-KS001-D07-3015.jpg:D:D:D :running:

Arbeia
19-06-2009, 10:42 AM
is it easy to adjust the chain on a s4r 2005.
i always worry about not doing it right

Nowt like hijacking a post:twak:

Cutter
19-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Yuasa battery, 18 month old. The bike was stood for 2 months yet started first time. But it's happened twice at work now, battery has either been too weak to crank and start the engine or flat as a fart. Yet would jump off with ease when hooked up to a car.

I'm so paranoid about leaving the heated grips on or the parking light I always double check, yet the bloody thing is still going flat! It's embarrassing and annoying , any ideas?

Had similiar probs with leaving parking light on on missus' 695, or jst not riding it much in winter, and leaving heated grips on on my CB1300. Found that even though enough juice for bright headlight and all digital clocks, still wouldn't turn over - just here solenoid clicking. I think modern fuel injection bikes need pretty much full voltage as grips supposed to turn of at 11volts. Also found that once drained, the CB's battery was never the same again re. holding a charge. For the 695 during winter when not used much invested in optimate charger. Absolutely brilliant - can't recommend enough for keeping bike battery healthy while still on bike.

Phatty
20-06-2009, 07:16 AM
i've got a couple of solar panels for me van, tempted to chain one to the bike and have it hooked up through the day...

ColchesterM600
20-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I had this problem, try testing the power regulator (Y)
mine was 'overcharging' the battery which is why it wouldnt start every now and then, since i had it replaced my bike starts first time, every time :)

Yorkie
20-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Do you keep it charged during the evening/when not in use? Optimate or similar?

Best move i made, keeps the battery topped up, not had a problem with the battery since. The starter solinoid was another matter!!

Yorkie.

Albie
20-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Fit one of these.....

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/kato--/KickStart-KS001-D07-3015.jpg:D:D:D :running:

A universal handled spline spanner

Phatty
22-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Never bothered with an optimate, never seen the point as i'm either using it so often not to need one and I have a decent charger at home. As I said, I can leave it 2months and it'll still start. Maybe it just doesn't like where I work.