PDA

View Full Version : Better late than never.

J_Dub
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Hello,
I never introduced myself properly when I joined - although I have put a few posts up. I only got into bikes last year, CBT in June and passed my test (DAS) in September. I’m late into biking (I was 47 when I passed, still am for few weeks). I had wanted to have a bike when I was a teenager, my aim back then was a Honda Superdream 250, never happened, mainly because of money as I was a skint student, then married, kids etc. but it was always in the back of my mind that biking really was the way to travel as I sat in my car and watched and listened to the bikes pass!
A couple of years ago my eldest lad, Karl, then 17, decided that he was going to take up biking, mainly because of the ridiculous cost of car insurance. He passed his test (restricted licence), and bought himself a Honda Bros 400 which sat outside glinting at me every time I walked past it. By this time I had decided that I was probably too old to take up biking and should leave it to the younger ones. Karl had other ideas and decided that I was a wimp and booked me onto a CBT course…. I bought a Chinky 125… (It was in pieces more than on the road!)….. When I passed my test I went shopping for a Bandit / Hornet but saw an advert for a Monster 900, I’d always liked the look of them since I first saw one around Manchester soon after they were released so couldn’t resist having a look, just out of curiosity, that’s all (honest). Hadn’t reckoned on the sound of it! Just had to have it! Really enjoying it!

Still don’t think I’d keep up in a ride out, but hey, maybe one day?

John

J.P
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
We're not all young terrors on the road and it's how you enjoy it not how fast or how young you are.
I bet you sit there wondering why it took you so many years to get into bikes ?

Enjoy the summer.

LouSCannon
12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Heya John, my other half's family isn't far from you, Bury way, we're down in Cheadle at the mo.

Few of us northern lot went for a jaunt in to the Peak District the other week. Ride outs shouldn't be about pace but the enjoyment of the ride, some get that taking a corner at 60, others at 30, shouldn't matter.

We should be doing it again soon, welcome to join us, keep an eye out on the forum, welcome to the club!

Pedro
12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
We're not all young terrors on the road .......

Yeah, you must be as old as I am....

:chuckle:

J.P
12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm still in my thirty's thank you very much.

Pedro
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm still in my thirty's thank you very much.

Really?

Wonders will never cease...

:chuckle:

J.P
12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Such kindness.
J Dub, we're not like this all the time. Have a great weekend on the bike if you can.

Liz
12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I've only been back into bikes for the last few years (although passed my test in '82) due to having family, no money, etc. Got the Monster last year - fantastic bike - love it! I am so enjoying riding it and joining in with others on rideouts! Go for it!!

Arbeia
12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Welcome m8:)