PDA

View Full Version : Jack up Kit

pegboy
09-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I have been reading some of the previois threads about this and have two questions, Tonight i was trying to fit my jack up kits to give me more ride height as i am 6Ft 4" and need it. I had the jacks screwed all the way in and could not managed to get the rose joints back into position, close but not close enough. I have the front forks flush with the top yoke. The adjusters on the shocker is almost to it's max.
So

Qu 1. Do i need to lower the forks in order to get the rose joints in?
Qu 2. Do i need to change the shocker to gain more suspension travel?

Thanks

sheepshearer
11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
1 - no
2 - erm - no

all you're doing by putting in those spacers is extending that rear sus hoop and lifting the bike. by pushing up on that hoop, you're pushing down on the spring, so if the swingarm was fixed in place you'd be adding preload. but of course it isn't fixed in place - it's a SWING arm :) so the bike lifts instead - which is what you wanted in the first place.

i wound the rose joints right in and then in order to get the holes to line up so i could get the bolts through the flange-rose-flange i put a strong flat bladed screw driver between the rose joint and the swingarm. that gives you sub-millimetre tweakability. remember that you're fighting the spring and the weight of the bike when doing this, so it might be easier to knock off some preload just so you can get it in, and then crank it back up again.

HTH

giler
11-06-2009, 03:15 PM
When I did mine, I suspended the rear of the bike from the garage rafters with
tie downs.

pegboy
11-06-2009, 08:58 PM
1 - no
2 - erm - no

all you're doing by putting in those spacers is extending that rear sus hoop and lifting the bike. by pushing up on that hoop, you're pushing down on the spring, so if the swingarm was fixed in place you'd be adding preload. but of course it isn't fixed in place - it's a SWING arm :) so the bike lifts instead - which is what you wanted in the first place.

i wound the rose joints right in and then in order to get the holes to line up so i could get the bolts through the flange-rose-flange i put a strong flat bladed screw driver between the rose joint and the swingarm. that gives you sub-millimetre tweakability. remember that you're fighting the spring and the weight of the bike when doing this, so it might be easier to knock off some preload just so you can get it in, and then crank it back up again.

HTH

Yep did exactly the same, screw the extensions right in, had the screwdriver in to put into place but to no luck, i was on my own, and it seemed like i need another pair of hands, suspending the bike sound like the way to go although the bike would not be stable therefore move around alot, will try again, it was late at night so will try to release the load and try again.

Thanks for the comments

pegboy
14-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Giler you were right, i suspended the bike for the ceiling and it worked a treat went in very easy. Thanks