PDA

View Full Version : Halfords "danvern" nozzle painting disaster

pfcdaz
07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi all, i am having a very frustrating weekend, i got some paint matched at halfords in order to paint JMo's old Alien headlight to suit my bike.

I did the centre section black, and all has gone very succesfully using the standard halfords rattle cans with a normal nozzle, perfect finsih, no runs no problems.

Then we come to the red with a Danvern nozzle, which aledgedly atomises the paint produces a spray pattern more reminiscent of a spray gun and prefents runs.

The reality appears to be that it suirts out thick globs of paint in a very heavy spray, which instantly runs in some areas, while failing to provide coverage, leaving a mottled red/grey primer effect with streaks and drips running down the surface.

Now i am fairly sure i am not completely inept, i have succesfully used normal rattle cans on other bits of the bike but i am losing the will to life with this red can. Has anyone used one of these succesfully? can anyone provide any advice? at the moment i am thinking of plowing ahead with the red before doing some hardcore sanding, to see if i can rescue a decent finsih, and if not i will strip it back to bare metal and paint using a standard rattle can, but with the risk that the red is a little out

Nickj
07-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Sounds like the can might benefit from a bit of extra pressure.
Take a bucket and get fill it up with hot water, just abit before the OUCH!! thats fuggin hot temperature. Get the can(s) in and let it warm up for 5 mins, shake and spray.

You should find it better, there'll be more pressure so it's less prone to the orange peel effect and the warm paint flashes more solvent off quicker. Lay it on in the usual side to side then up and down movements until it's thick but not so thick it sags.. LOL Fine line that and you probably better try it out on something flat and smooth first

BluprintZ
07-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, i had a few probs with the can that Halfords mixed up for me, for touching up the petrol tank.
I did get a few spurts that caused a slight running, due to too much paint in one place.
On the other hand, i also bought a can of grey primer off the shelf, that went on as smooth as silk, only a fine wet`n dry to key it for the next coat.
The red mix needed to be flatted off quite a bit, to get rid of the spurty bits, then i added a couple of coats of clear lacquer, again off the shelf and that went on fine.
As has been said, maybe when they mix a can up for you, there isn't enough pressure to atomise the paint properly.
I'm still not happy with the tank, i'll probably strip it and do a complete re-spray but not with a can from Halfords.

G : )

pfcdaz
09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I am so sick of painting....
After a lot of effort with wet and dry and a very scary hot aerosol can ( good advice btw, but I was terrified of a violent explosion and red paint everywhere throughout!!) I have managed to get a reasonable finish on the red paint.

I started lacquering tonight, was pretty much done, picked up one of the panels to look at it in the light, fumbled it and it landed paint side down on the garage floor, loads if dust now stuck in the lacquer.

Back to the sandpaper tomorrow when it has set and I'll try again...

Gonna strip it back to bare metal in a couple of months and do it again, but not until I have calmed down and am ready to take my time over it properly.

Albie
09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I am so sick of painting....
After a lot of effort with wet and dry and a very scary hot aerosol can ( good advice btw, but I was terrified of a violent explosion and red paint everywhere throughout!!) I have managed to get a reasonable finish on the red paint.

I started lacquering tonight, was pretty much done, picked up one of the panels to look at it in the light, fumbled it and it landed paint side down on the garage floor, loads if dust now stuck in the lacquer.

Back to the sandpaper tomorrow when it has set and I'll try again...

Gonna strip it back to bare metal in a couple of months and do it again, but not until I have calmed down and am ready to take my time over it properly.
Im really suprised you didnt leave them polished. I had the same problem when I got bored with the centre. I wanted to polish it but it was like black anodised hard paint. I did it but then it needed cleaning all the time and was fiddly. I ended up painting it white but then it chipped. Its now powder coated satin black and standing u to everything. I had the sides painted professionly. Its always the best way but I do know how you feel mate. Ive done it and got the T shirt. It will turn out in the end and your bike will look cracking

pfcdaz
10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Ok....I am feeling slightly calmer now! Have sanded and relacquered the last panel. It seems ok tbh no damage that was not fixable.

I am however an impatient sod, so I have put the centre panel and left hand panel back on the bike to see what it will all look like. It is a thing of beauty!! Am really pleased with how the alien light finishes off the bike. Will post photos when the final panel is on tomorrow.

The finish is not perfect, but will do for now until I decide whether to Have it done properly by a pro, or just get some better quality paint.

As to why I didn't leave it polished aluminium, nothing else on the bike is polished ally so it looked out of place.