PDA

View Full Version : new bar grips/pins and needles

OplayneO
02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

i have had problems with getting pins and needles in my left thumb and palm of hand, more when going some on the open roads (possibly holding on for dear life). i have read previous threads about others who have this problem and ways to solve it, different gloves, taking watches off, gripping with knees etc....i think mine would easily be solved with slightly larger grips as i cant comfortably hold my hand round to throttle so that not to get the problem and keep good control/movement of it and also cut the vibration down which definitely doesn't help!

i have have found foam grips for about £5-7 a pair? Seems a good cheap place to start but has anyone got any suggestions for any others?

Saw some oval/ergonomic ones made for hiabusa's (look a bit sexier than big lumps of foam!) and also throttle aids that clip onto your existing grip and uses the palm of your hand more??????

thanks in advance....

OplayneO
02-06-2009, 10:38 PM
black foam option..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Foam-bar-grips_W0QQitemZ300317608259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_M otorcycle_Parts?hash=item45ec530943&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A2109%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

these look a little better...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-Handlebar-Grips-GSXR-600-750-1000-SV650-Hayabusa_W0QQitemZ140324104593QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item20abf7e991&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A2109%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A8%7C294%3A50

Nickj
02-06-2009, 11:07 PM
The pins and needles are either from your neck and a bit of stress on one of the nerve roots. BUT are more likely to caused by the nerve bundle that runs through the base of the hand getting a bit compressed, sometimes it can be the same thing happening to artery whic is in pretty much the same place. Vibration doesn't help, there is a syndrome attached to this which repeated exposure to vibrations can give you problems.
In either case foam or more shock absorbing grips will help, I love them :mand:

OplayneO
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I am pretty sure it is the ones on my hands, have problems with my ulna nerve in my elbow sometime so nothing new. which grip do you have? presume best to go for the black sponges? thanks

grunter
03-06-2009, 06:03 AM
can help too?

http://www.nextag.com/gel-motorcycle-gloves/stores-html

OplayneO
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
just picked it up from the first service and had 14t front sprocket put on, a lot smoother and rod it back 30miles or so and had no problems with hands? different vibration frequency?

Albie
03-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I suffer from right wrist/hand going numb. I have had to turn back on rideouts as I cant ride any further. I think its that carpel tunnel syndrome where I was a roof tiler and hand cutting with nibbler pliers. I just have to release and shake wrist. I try to do excercises whilst riding. I hope this thread does not get HIJACKED with INNUENDO'S

Try not gripping bars as much. You should try relaxed and you will also be smoother.

Nickj
03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I am pretty sure it is the ones on my hands, have problems with my ulna nerve in my elbow sometime so nothing new. which grip do you have? presume best to go for the black sponges? thanks

Put some on the FZR yesterday, feels much nicer cancelling out some of the buzz.

And yes changing the gearing will shift the vibes to a different speed so will help.

As its a pressure on the heel of the palm area making sure the levers don't make you flex your wrists up or down.. imagine a straight line down your forearms continuing out through the fingers. This also kinda makes you more rest your hands on the bars than grip them so a teensy adaption of riding styles needed.

OplayneO
03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Put some on the FZR yesterday, feels much nicer cancelling out some of the buzz.

And yes changing the gearing will shift the vibes to a different speed so will help.

As its a pressure on the heel of the palm area making sure the levers don't make you flex your wrists up or down.. imagine a straight line down your forearms continuing out through the fingers. This also kinda makes you more rest your hands on the bars than grip them so a teensy adaption of riding styles needed.

ah thats good idea also, will have a look and adjust may adjust my levers too.

cheers all for advise.

gremlin
03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I was getting similar problems, partly due to neck issues but also due to gripping as if my life depended on it (which it possibly does). Since learning to relax a bit it has got better., trying to ride with a slightly more open hand may help. I now don't grip the left bar as much, resting my fingers over the clutch lever but without hooking it and try to roll the right on the throttle rather than gripping it, still not quite got the hang of that one and I still grip it a bit too much but getting there. Busters and M&P etc have a range of grips quite reasonably priced. I've also got adjustable levers, mainly cos I couldn't reach the old ones!

OplayneO
03-06-2009, 10:43 PM
anyone know what size grips are needed for my 696 most are sold 25 and 28mm or dont state at all. is this a standard size? Not to worry if nobody know off the top of there head i will get off my lazy ar5e and find my calipers.

JMo
03-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I hope this thread does not get HIJACKED with INNUENDO'S

Oh but the temptation is too strong... then again, you seem to done most of them already:

I suffer from right wrist/hand going numb. I have had to turn back on rideouts as I cant ride any further. I think its that carpel tunnel syndrome where I was a roof tiler and hand cutting with nibbler pliers. I just have to release and shake wrist. I try to do excercises whilst riding... ...Try not gripping bars as much. You should try relaxed and you will also be smoother.

Top work fella!

xxx

ps. foam grips are cool, don't be ashamed x

JMo
03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
anyone know what size grips are needed for my 696 most are sold 25 and 28mm or dont state at all. is this a standard size? Not to worry if nobody know off the top of there head i will get off my lazy ar5e and find my calipers.

All grips are the same internal diameter - as fat-bars taper down at the control area to the same 7/8th inch (22mm) diameter as regular bars.

Do measure the length of the grips though (I think it is 130mm on the Monsters), as some grips come in 110mm length and will be too short on the throttle tube, unless you choose to cut that down of course.

See, I can provide sensible answers too you know!

xxx

OplayneO
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
thanks for the sensible answers, but do keep the others up as keeps the threads a little more light hearted than facts and figure, grips and groans etc...

JMo
03-06-2009, 10:58 PM
See! - you can do it too!

thanks for the sensible answers, but do keep the others up as keeps the threads a little more light hearted than facts and figure, grips and groans etc...

xxx

Albie
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
JMO what are you like It was pure honesty and innocence.:D:D;);)