PDA

View Full Version : Monster 620 standard bars diameter?

damo
02-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Considering buying some Rizoma handlebars (and maybe new grips at the same time, are they any good?) off the net and haven't got my bike to measure the diameter.
Would anyone know it by heart?

MagnaJeep
02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
22mm, measured right now

damo
02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the quick reply!
Sadly in the meantime I found out they don't sell to end users, only to dealers :hissy:
Will have a look at Renthal bars too then.

MagnaJeep
02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
There you have also different other choices:
http://pdfkatalog1.louis.de/pdf/0785.pdf
http://pdfkatalog1.louis.de/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?page=785

Maybe clip-ons then, or try to upgrade to fat bars with 29mm clamping?

JMo
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
22mm bars are also known as 7/8th inch (eg. Renthal's listing) - Fatbars are 1 1/8th...

xxx

MagnaJeep
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Sorry, but I live in a country that has the metric system and therefore
I'm used to millimetres.

I do know that the fat bars are thicker by the clamping, but I wonder
if milling the stock risers to 29mm would be an option?
I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work, or at least getting there through
adapters.

The s2r fat bar feels comfier compared to the 750.

damo
02-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all that!
Don't feel like clip-ons at the moment and like the look of fat-bars, I just don't see myself start milling the poor tools and know-how I have :)

JMo
02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Sorry, but I live in a country that has the metric system and therefore
I'm used to millimetres.

I do know that the fat bars are thicker by the clamping, but I wonder
if milling the stock risers to 29mm would be an option?
I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work, or at least getting there through
adapters.

The s2r fat bar feels comfier compared to the 750.

Don't worry, I wasn't being pedantic - I was just pointing out that Renthal (and a number of other bar manufacturers) still refer to their standard bars as 7/8th - so if someone were looking on their website they might be confused?

Also, be aware that the 'universal' fatbar adapter/risers (the kind you get for MX bikes etc) wont fit the 620 yoke, as the bolt spacing is wider - you have to buy specific risers for the Monster (well, ones for the same bolt spacing at least).

As for milling the stock 620 risers - I imagine it would be possible if you had the right tools, but you would have to be very accurate - fortunately since the bolt spacing on the 620 standard clamps is the same as the S2R etc. fatbar clamps, you could buy the OEM S2R top clamp plates and just machine the lower half saddle of the 620 yoke?

I considered this, but ended up buying the complete S2R top yoke and risers/clamps to fit fatbars. However, turns out the stock fatbar risers are also about an inch higher than the standard 620 yoke saddle, so the bars end up higher. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on your preference.

Whichever way you do it, fatbars are cool x

xxx

BluprintZ
02-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I've got some fat risers for sale, i bought them by mistake.
I put some pics in the "for sale" thread, so PM me if anyone wants them.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/BluprintZmusic/Various/risers1.jpg

G : )

JMo
03-06-2009, 07:08 AM
I've got some fat risers for sale, i bought them by mistake.
I put some pics in the "for sale" thread, so PM me if anyone wants them.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/BluprintZmusic/Various/risers1.jpg

Forgive me for butting in Blu', but are you sure those are for fatbars? they look like regular 7/8th bar risers to me (ie. would fit in the saddle of the cast yoke, and raise the stock bars?) - the bolts don't look long enough for the fatbars - which also go through the OE risers and bolt the whole lot to the top yoke?

However, I'm thinking someone could machine these to accept the fatbars (there is enough metal between the bolt holes) rather than potentially screwing up their top yoke? Just an idea?

xxx

BluprintZ
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Mornin' Jen.

They are deffo for fat bars, i found out when it was time to put the renthals on.
The holes are around 3mm off fitting the standard top yoke.
Forget the bolts in the pic, they are the old ones off the standard clamps, my mate took the pics while i was doing something else, he obviously thought the bolts belonged to the "fat" risers.
I bought them off a ukmoc member, i can't remember who.

damo
03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Fatbars are cool but buying the complete S2R top yoke and risers/clamps is maybe a bit too much as I've got to replace other bits too (thanks to being pushed over by a car while parked.. :banghead:).
Out of curiosity could you tell me roughly how much the set cost you?
It'll probably sound stupid but will the standard controls fit the fatbars or do you also have to switch to S2R controls? :scratch:

MagnaJeep
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
The controls are the same (inner diameter 22mm or 7/8th), only the clamping diameter is slighly bigger

damo
04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks, maybe I'll stick with normal bars for the moment then otherwise I'll have to change the clamps of the controls (and the mirrors too I guess) on top of getting the S2R top yoke and risers/clamps set.

MagnaJeep
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Having checked the s2r 800 with a magura fat bar a few minutes ago, you wouldn't have to change the clamps of the controls, they are 22mm as well as the grips and brake/clutch lever
mounts.

The clamps of the riser have 28,5, just because the middle part of the bar is thicker,
but then goes to 22mm like a normal 7/8 inch bar.

I thought of fitting a fat bar myself, because I would know someone who could
mill the top yoke on a turning lathe over here in Austria, but ended up fitting clip-ons for the looks :D.

damo
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks mate for all the info, and yeah clip-ons do look the bollocks :)