PDA

View Full Version : Marine clean

Ducmon
02-06-2009, 03:08 PM
After spending 2 weeks trying different solvents to clear my tank out of fuel residue. I have found and solvent that is especially designed to work on fuel tanks. :hail: The solvent is just ripping through the residue. It is an organic biodegradable mixture which you pour into the tank and wait 20 mins in each position and then pour it back into the container (reusable).

On the recommendation of the importer you wash the tank out with water and there are still bits of residue coming out you apply the solution once more but diluted 1:1 with water and run through the procedure once more until there are no bits coming out of the tank when you flush it.

I bought a tank repair kit which comes with one liter of Marine clean and one liter of metal ready (which kills any rust and etches the tank) and a tin of special paint to seal the tank (I dont have any leeks) but it was recommended by the importer ( who rebuilds classic cars) as this will save me having any problems with rust in future.

At the moment it looks like the bees knees but I will keep you posted on the results.

Ducmon

Ducmon
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I have found that marine clean is very efficient at removing the built up varnish that had formed in my tank over the years. Now the fluid flows out of the outlet hole instead of dripping out.

I have decided that I will put the rust eater in to clean up the rust that has formed but I will not paint it until the winter. When I will have more time.

Half Pint
05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Did you have a leak or are you doing a simple clean of the internals?

I have been looking at the frost auto tank repair kit which comes with the cleaner and rust eater along with the good old petseal.

Ducmon
06-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I had a thick layer of varnish which had completely blocked the tank where the petrol feed is. Some of the pieces that came out of the tank were about 3 mm thick. I bought it from the European importer. Frost used to sell the same kit but it is now out of stock.

The web address of the European importer is http://www.hoeseler-por15.de and cost me 39 €.for a twenty liter motorcycle tank repair kit but you can get the separate components from www.holden.co.uk.

Ducmon