PDA

View Full Version : Mr Tax man......

muthaducka
29-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Just had £1700 appear in my account courtesy of HMRC (HM revenue and customs).

Completely our of the blue. I'm not going to spend it straight away, I don't trust these guys.

BluprintZ
29-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Good move and nice one if it stays yours, although i bet your already going through what to buy for the Monnie.
I love a happy ending!

G : )

gremlin
29-05-2009, 12:34 PM
My daughter had some money put in her account but daren't spend it, luckily as it turned out, they'd mucked up and wanted it back. They are useless. I'd put it into a high interest account and wait a while, if they don't want it back you'll have made a bit and if they do you'll possibly have what little interest it makes although in the present climate you probably won't even get a cup of coffee out of it.

Funkatronic
29-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Dont spend it unless your sure its right

they have power to take money as well as give it, and they can charge u interest!!!

happened to a friend a while back. was receiving child tax credit that had been miscalculated by the relevant dept (i cant remember which but i knoe theat HMRC have even gretaer powers)

the over paid him 120 per month for 2 yrs, then demanded it all back in one hit + interest

got sorted in the end but they froze his bank account for 2 weeks and contacted his employer to try and get the money that way

muthaducka
29-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Crikey, that sounds fun. I'm going to put it to one side(as long as I possibly can before I get tempted).

It really wouldn't surprise me if they just dipped in and took it out at some other point.

Hi interested account - bah - about 3.5% is about the best. I worked at co-op (evening shift) for 6 month and had to cold call customers and flog a savings account with 0.5% interest rate. I know there are ways of jazzing things up (used car salesman style) but come on!

gremlin
29-05-2009, 04:54 PM
That's why I said you may get a cup of coffee! Probably not a Starbucks one at that either.