PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

Christofferg
28-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Just thought I'd make a quick introduction.

Im from Denmark, and in the process of taking my bike license, on a Ducati Monster :)

The reason I chose my specific bike school was because they ride Monsters, and since that's the bike I've always wanted I thought I'd take my license there.

Have ridden the 620, 695 and 696 in the school, and hopefully will get my license next week.

I'm looking to buy a Monster, primarily because of the looks and the Trellis frame, then there's the noise and feel of the engine, it's very charismatic in my view. And lastly, I'm a bit of a speed nutter in cars anyway, and I think it would be wise if I don't buy anything too fast and the Monster seems decently quick but not dangerously fast with 60 or 80 bhp.

I have browsed the net quite a bit and have seen there is a couple of small reviews by members of their Monsters on this site, but since I've decided I want a Monster, I thought peraps some of you can point me in the direction of online motorcycle-magazine review of the different Monster models so I can get an impression of which bike would suit me.

Anyone know where I can read motorcycle magazine reviews online of the Monster ?

Thanks everybody, and I've of course read a couple of threads on this site and everyone seems very freindly with a warm and helping attitude :)

singletrack
28-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi
sorry I can't help you with an online review, but welcome to :ukm:

PDL
28-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi, which models were you considering?

yantheman
28-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi, I passed my test 2 years and ago and was considering buying a Japanese inline4s (the usual suspects, Honda, Suzuki etc tec) and decided to buy a Monster after reading the review below

http://twistingasphalt.com/index.php/2005/12/02/ducati-s2r-1000-monster-the-definition-of-fun/

Christofferg
28-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi again,

I'm primarily considering the slow ones ; 600, 620, 695 perhaps 750 or 800. I read on the MCN that the 600 and 750 are 5 gears and carburettors whereas the others are fuel injected.

The 696 I ride at the school is very fast in my mind and feels very snappy on the throttle at town and u-turn speeds. So I'd prefer one with a soft throttle response so I don't have to keep my right wrist iron-tight around the gas so it doesn't move.

Other than that I guess fuel injection is just better over all?
6 gears sounds better in my ears than 5?

I have only ridden the 620, 695 and 696 at this moment and obviously can't test at a dealer at the moment.

ETA: looking forward to reading about the S2r1000 thanks!

Scootaboy
28-05-2009, 11:39 AM
there are a few on the mcn website, heres the 695 review (they do most others): http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Ducati/Ducati-Monster-695-2006-current/?&R=EPI-153

having ridden all the 600's you should have a good idea of whats best for you - I went for the 695 because I assumed it'd be more reliable and refined from the previous versions (and thats what they said on the reviews I read)

I've done 6000 miles in the last 8 months rain wind and shine, and its never let me down yet. In fact the more I ride it the better it gets.

If you would prefer something more powerful and you can afford it, the S2R800 is meant to be a fantastic bike - but I dont know how it'll compare with the 695 for in town commuting if thats what you're going to do (will be better otherwise I would've thought)

Good luck on your search!

Pomp1
28-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi and welcome:thumbsup:A school with monster? Cool! Monster are quite user friendly if only a bit snatchy at low speed but most people seem to cure this with a smaller sprocket (me, I keep out of the snatchy area in first place:biggrin:) an 800 sound small but it ain't trust me, and is most people in here favorite compromise between rideability and outright power. Me, I love my carbed 900..Re review there are quite a few on the net, some more trustworthy than others, but go, ride and enjoy as they're all pretty much good bikes.

PDL
28-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I have got round the snatchyness of Ducati's by changing my low speed riding style. I tend to throttle on and then throttle off at low speed, a bit like motocross racing. Other than that at real low speeds it needs clutching.

Christofferg
28-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I also thought it was brilliant I found a school with 3 different Monsters - perfect for trying them while learning!

What are the differences in everday driving between the 5 and 6 speed models? Which gearbox is best in terms of reliability and driveability? Is the 5 speed low geared on motorways or are they at the same revs?

Thanks for the trick in regards to throttleing on and off to reduce the snachiness!

chris yeatman
29-05-2009, 10:20 PM
hello and welcome.