PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump?

BluprintZ
27-05-2009, 08:03 PM
After i got back from the weekender, i took the monnie to the Dyno place, as arranged.
A day or so before i got it back, the guy phoned me to ask if the bike had ever cut out on me, as if it was running out of fuel.
I told him it hadn't and he went on to say that it had cut out twice on him, once whilst warming it up for a Dyno run, then again when he took it out for a road test after setting it up.
On both occasions it started up again, albeit spluttering for fifteen or so seconds, before it started to run normally.
He cleaned out everything fuel related, except the pump, the carbs were cleaned and re-jetted.
On Sunday, when i was heading back home from a ride out with a couple of mates, it started to act like it was running out of fuel, it finally conked out a hundred yards or so later.
I checked the tank and it was half full, so i tried to start her again and it did start, although it seemed to be two-stroking below a quarter throttle.
I gave it some welly to set off and it ran ok, provided i kept it on the boil, i had to throttle off to turn on to the A55 carriageway, it farted about until i wound it on, it ran ok on the carriageway and most of the way home, except if i had to slow down for roundabouts or junctions, then it would splutter a bit.
By the time i got home, it was running pretty normal and ticking over when i parked up.
I phoned the Dyno man and told him what had happened, he feels it could well be the fuel pump acting up.
There are no kinked or split pipes, including the vacuum pipes to the pump.
Any ideas guys?

G : )

Shandy
27-05-2009, 09:21 PM
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed on it? If your man did that when doing all the other fuel bits and pieces there's not really anything left apart from the fuel pump!! Unless its like i did once and had the fuel tap a bit closed where i'd knocked it.........

All i can think of is double check for leaks on the vacuum pipe and its connections to the pump..........

Hopefully someone will be along with a really simple fix!!

Cheers,

Shandy

Pedro
28-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Blocked fuel tank breather?

BluprintZ
28-05-2009, 02:10 AM
It's one of those intermittent things Pedro, it's happened three times in as many weeks, although as i mentioned in the post, the first two times were before it came back from the Dyno session, the third was two weeks later (last Sunday).
The pump has apparently no serviceable parts, so i'll check everything from the tank to the carbs and if i get no joy, then i'll pop along to Woods in Abergele and get a new pump and hope that's the problem.

Cheers all,

G : )

Ducmon
28-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I have the same problem. I have found that I have a brown gunk in the tank from a bad batch of petrol. This means that the fuel does not flow out of the tank correctly all of the time. The easiest way to check for this is to remove the feed pipe from the fuel filter and see if the fuel pours out or if comes out as dribble as in my case.

I used a clear fuel pipe which I could push into fuel pipe coming from the tank and ran that into a fuel can. I used pliers to seal the fuel pipe while i fitted the clear pipe into it.

I originally thought it was the fuel pump as I had checked everything else and bought a new fuel filter.