PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Monster 1100S

MON
24-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Went for a ride down to Forza Italia this morning for a nosey at the new Aprilia RSV4 (nice!), but unfortunately whilst I was there I noticed that my alternator cover was wet with oil .

Initially I thought I'd found the source of the leak to be the bolt I've marked in the photo, but after consultation with JHP, they suspect it's not there, but it more likely to be the alternator pickup just above and behind it (quite hard to see). Apparently the pickup is sealed with an o-ring and they are known to weep from time to time. Unfortunately it'll have to wait until next week to have it looked at, but it's not a long job, so hopefully I won't be off the road.

It's certainly more of a weep than a leak (none on my boot, just a film all over the cover), but obviously it needs looking at. Fortunately, feedback I've had elsewhere suggests that this is the probable cause and is an easy fix.

Pedro
24-05-2009, 08:58 AM
If it is the pick up, it'll take about 5 minutes to sort

Albie
24-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for pointer. Always good to be aware when problems arise. Hope it gets sorted no problems for you.

Snips
24-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah, thanks for the tip off.

I checked mine, 500 miles on clock, seems fine. What mileage do you have on yours, MON?

MON
25-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I've got just over 1,000 miles on mine and it was fine until this weekend and I certainly wasn't riding any differently to usual.

The only change was obviously that the ambient tmeperature was much higher than it has been.

It does seem to be a very common issue, particularly amongst the 696 riders, although I gather that Ducati UK haven't as yet recognised this as an issue of sufficient magnitude to issue a recall.

I'll keep you posted. The weather's not looking too promising for the next couple of days, but hopefully I'll have it sorted by next weekend.