PDA

View Full Version : Colour of bolts?

Space Cadet
16-05-2009, 08:24 AM
What colour are the 8 big bolts (4 on each side) that hold the hangers for the foot pegs and low-level silencers to the frame?

They're about the size of a 50p piece, the bike is a 2004/5 620.

The only reason I ask is that I thought they were the goldie colour like a lot of the other bolts but the new ones I've just ordered are silver.

(I took my old ones out and polished them up - and now they're starting to rust!!!, cant remember what colour they used to be???))

Thanks

BluprintZ
16-05-2009, 12:25 PM
They do get a bit grotty over time.
In my case, i just rubbed them down with wet and dry, then sprayed them silver with a coat of laqure added for a bit more protection, although you can obviously spray them gold, then laqure them.

G : )

Capo
16-05-2009, 01:01 PM
The gold colour is a result of the plating applied to prevent corrosion, which is why yours rusted when you removed it.

Space Cadet
18-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks, yes I know that now – learnt the hard way.

I just couldn’t remember whether the originals were gold coloured or not, the replacements it seems are silver coloured, may be they’ve since changed the type of metal the bolts are made of.

Pedro
18-05-2009, 10:11 AM
The colour is down to the plating finish used to protect the base material which is steel. Plating used is Zinc and often zinc has a dye coat added afterwards to passivate the surface - this can be clear or yellowish amongst others hence the colour of the bolts.

alreadyinuse
23-05-2009, 12:30 PM
search ebay for TPO on a worldwide search.

They have aluminium replace,ents for theses bolts. not cheap tho.