PDA

View Full Version : fuel level warning light

daz7505
09-05-2009, 09:17 AM
trying to wire up a warning light for my fuel level, and according to wire diagram my tank should have 2 wires coming off it. however as i have a m900 chromo tank on a 98 m750, i'm stuck. as the tank has a plug with 4 wires in it which isnt plugged into anything. 2 black wire, 1 red and 1 white. does any one know if possible which 2 wires out of the 4 i can use to wire it up in a similar way to the m750 wires. my bike had a set of s4 clocks on that didnt function correctly, but taken off and replaced with an acewell digi dash. i have no way of telling how much fuel is in my tank, and i have a 2 an half hour ride down to rugby tomorrow and dont want to get caught short.

Yorkie
09-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Short term mate, fill the tank up and zero you speedo, work on about 100 miles (For a fuel stop) to be safe, even riding hard that should be about right!

Some one very smart maybe able to help you with the wiring!

Yorkie

uksurfer
09-05-2009, 10:55 AM
IMHO, i would guess that a 4 wire system is for a fuel pump and low level light.
I would guess that the red wire goes too the 'start switch', and the white wire (has it got brown with it) goes to low level light.
It seems if the black wires are earth on my diagram
Thats my idea anyway, but i could be wrong.....
________
Ipad Guides (http://ipadguides.info)

daz7505
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I GOT CAUGHT SHORT LOL!!!!

forgot to fuel up on leaving rugby this evening. 1 mile from stafford services after remembering i forgot to fuel up, and ended up sat on hard shoulder with an empty tank. doh!
gf had carried on into the services n her car, and begged a pair of traffic officers to bring some petrol to me.

the cheeky bastard services charged my gf £17 for a petrol can.

defo need to get my fuel light sorted asap

also thanks to bmw rider that stopped to help out. dont get car drivers doing tis when they see another car broken down. are us bikers and mini owners the only people on the road that are willing to help each other out when in need.
was owner of a 1975 mini clubman till very recently, had to go to buy my monster, and i pulled over on a dual carriage way lay by, had bonnet open to fill washer bottle when 2 seperate mini drivers stopped to check i and the mini was ok.

katana
12-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Glad to see that you tried the search function.

You note that of the four wires two are thicker that the other two of the four. Its the red and the black wires that are the wires for the fuel pump.

Then plug the wires in, one way round gives the light on all the time and the other doesn't.