PDA

View Full Version : honda riders...

Blah blah
07-05-2009, 10:29 PM
So, there I was at The Stormy Petrel at Tern Hill (near Market Drayton if you're really interested) tonight because Thursday's the night when lots of motorsickles turn up (and an Ariel Atom, but that's another story) and I somehow get into conversation with a Honda Blackbird owner...

"Is that your bike?" he asks... the fact that I'm wearing a jacket with 'Ducati' all over it and I'm stood next to the only Monster in the car park having just put the key in to it while doing the ear plug hunt does not appear to have been noticed.

"Yeah" I reply (doing my best James Dean sneer, and trying not shiver too much cos it was somewhat cold)

"I used to have a Ducati" came his reply "...had load of trouble with it, bulbs blowing and the like, so I bought this" pointing at a very large and very blue Blackbird (a bluebird surely?) "This has been loads better and is much more reliable" he continued "but I'm on my third regulator/rectifier in as many months..."

I was just about to launch into a tirade of why he felt his honda (that kept running out of electricity) was better than a Ducati that blew a few bulbs, when he was joined by several people who appeared to know him, saving him from my soon-to-be-vented spleen, so I stuck my lid on, started it up and blatted into the night ok, it was only 7:30, but 'blatted into the early evening' doesn't sound quite as good, so sue me

Oh, and if you're interested I drive a Honda Civic, and it's pants, the worst car I have ever owned... I've even taken to cycling into work so that I don't have to drive it :chuckle:

Catspoon
07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I know the Stormy Petrel very well Blah. About twenty years ago I stopped there after a few miles of learning very quickly how to change gear without a clutch that failed while tanking along in my Saab up the A41 back to my digs in Chester. 'Course, back then the speed limits round there were a bit quicker!

I've yet to have anyone say a bad word about Ducatis to me personally. I only seem to get misty-eyed types drooling.

PDL
08-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Next time if you get chance explain to him that the Ducati's from the 80's and early 90's used Honda electrics as a supplier.

That usually shuts them up. :)

Lucati
08-05-2009, 09:24 AM
My brother in-law just bought a great big naked Honda 1000 something - not sure what it's called. My Brother has a Superduke 900 and I have a Ducati 696. When we're out together I get the nods from drivers, one italian guy was shouting belissimo at me at the lights (think it was for the bike and not me!) I'd have a Ducati over a Honda anyday.

leslie_dash
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Ha ha, what did the guy look like? Was he pretty short by any chance? My Dad used to have a multistrada and has now got a blue blackbird.

Scootaboy
08-05-2009, 10:43 AM
hmmmm honda bikes...boring boring boring (though I'm sure they're great etc etc)

mazydog
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
In the past month i have stopped to help two bikers both on Hondas that have broken down, one of which was an 09 blade on the Buxton to Ashbourne road the other on the M60 coming back from the Arrow mill meet last sunday, they were both very nice people but the irony wasn't lost on them.

sadbiker
08-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Hondas are the most reliable bikes on the planet..... I have one the CB1000r.

The truth is I do have the CB1000r and any bike is as reliable as the next one, its just unfortunate we do have problems. The initial batch of CB1000's had a faulty read LED light assembly that would out of the blue fail leaving you with no rear light. Very concerning for night time riding as you may not even know it has just failed. All have had to be replaced as a recall. I've had 2 S2R1000s, the first couldn't fly very well, the second the clocks failed.

What i will say is things go wrong whatever make, its how the dealer and manafacturer sort it. For me Honda and Ducati did when I had issues. Oh and we sometime cause our own problems...

So I don't care what bike a person rides, its the individual thats more important.

jerry
08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Hondas are the most boring bikes on the planet , well made but no soul at all, YES i have owned hondas a CB1300, Firestorm and CB750

mazydog
08-05-2009, 05:49 PM
To be fair the SP1 & SP2 are up their with the very best a bike i would love to own one,

bigredduke
08-05-2009, 06:03 PM
When I first started work in 1977 I couldn't afford a car so I commuted on a C90 and then a CB125. Both were great in all weather conditions & they never let me down despite abuse & acute lack of servicing.

Snips
08-05-2009, 06:28 PM
My first bike was a Honda MB-5. It seized up.

However, that might have been because I was 16 and stoopid, and I didn't realise I had to put oil in a 2-stroke - kids, eh? :dunce:

Great write-up, Blah Blah, btw.

Blah blah
08-05-2009, 07:02 PM
To be fair the SP1 & SP2 are up their with the very best a bike i would love to own one,

and the RC30? :wantface:

Great write-up, Blah Blah, btw.

Whythankyouverymuchlyindeedy, it's amazing what too much beer can do after a cracking blat around the countryside, :booze:

I'll try to get some pictures next time

Humbucker
08-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I Just bought a CBR 600RR, love it and cant fault it.

Pomp1
08-05-2009, 11:27 PM
honda done some amazing bikes (SP1/2 RC30/45 NR750)but none of them is a in-line.. their standard in-line 4s lack a bit in soul..

Kiwi
09-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Oh, and if you're interested I drive a Honda Civic, and it's pants, the worst car I have ever owned... I've even taken to cycling into work so that I don't have to drive it :chuckle:

owned a honda bike once

it was the worst most unreliable piece of junk I have ever owned

MonstaChicky
09-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I've owned Suzuki, Yamaha and Ducati...did love the raw blasting power of the FZR but I think Ducatis have that southern european sexiness about them? Reliable? Maybe not...but nor are most of life's sexiest things haha!

And Monsters in particular have a lot of character...

If I had the dosh, I'd get an 848, but I'd still keep Duncan too :)

Every Honda I've sat on (well particuarly the CBR600 RR and the Blade) I feel like I'm tipping off the front...seems a really short reach to the bars...maybe I have chimp arms?!!!!!!!!! The only other bike I'd consider at the mo is the Gixxer 750. But I'm skint so it's just as well I love my Monster!!!