PDA

View Full Version : Battery woes

DevilBoy
06-05-2009, 12:35 PM
hiya guys

My battery has been playing up for a while now. I charge it, it starts once, and then dies the next day.
This weekend I bought an optimate III and left it charging for 2 days.
The light said all was hunky dorey, so I took her out for a spin.

Started fine that day, came to ride it to work this morning, dead as disco.
It tries to start but dies after about 5 seconds, and stops trying after that.

The bike is a 2002 S4, i've had it for 3 years, and i've never changed the battery.

My question is this. Should the optimate sort any battery issues?, could there be something draining the battery?, can I test the battery? Or should I just get a new one?
(ok, 4 questions)

If i'm getting a new one, what is a good make, and good site to get it from?
I looked on M&P and they are selling for £60!!

Cheers
DB

Spike
06-05-2009, 02:15 PM
You need to do a drop test on the battery this should tell you if the battery is in good condition.
The opptimate can't fix the battery if you have a duff cell or if the plates are furred up.
I'd keep clear of cheap batteries as the monsters are quite hard on them, not sure what battery you've got at the moment but if it's lasted three years go with that.

steve wright
07-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Those are typical symptoms of a knackered battery Devilboy. Optimates will "maintain" good batteries for years if used regularly, and revive duff ones occasionally, but not holding a charge overnite is typical of something too duff to recover I'm afraid.
As Spike says charge it up and take to a competent mechanic to drop test it. When he tells you it's shagged, buy a Yuasa. Ducati's eat crap batteries. Yuasa are good stuff, my last one only expired after 9 years.

Pomp1
07-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Another vote for Yuasa.Varta are good too, but not as good. paid mine about 60 quid, so M&P price is about right.

gary tompkins
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Sound's like battery is fooked

Optimate's won't fix an already dodgy battery. They only really help to prolong battery life if used regularly when bike stands idle, especially if any alarm/immobiliser installed is causing a constant drain. Scrapps had similar issues with his recently re-built 900ie, and the only cure was to replace the battery.

4-5 years is a good lifespan for batteries if properly maintained, but I've seen cheaper makes last less than 3 years. I've got Yuasa batteries on both my monsters and they are lasting pretty well.