PDA

View Full Version : Post Weekender 2009 - Feedback Thread

gary tompkins
05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Weekender Feedback Thread

Hi all,

UKMOC's organisers would appreciate comments, constructive criticism, and feedback good or bad on this years event. The idea being we can use this to help plan for 2010, and hopefully give attendees more of what they would like. Any suggestions for places in the area to visit, or activities to take part in will also be given consideration, so feel free to chip in with ideas.

Feedback can be on any subject relating to the 2009 weekender, but can we please keep it on topic and avoid chit-chat or hi-jacks. There are plenty of general weekender threads to post on elsewhere, and I want to keep this as crap free and constructive as possible.

Over to you guys 'n' gals

Get posting :D

Julie
05-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I think the meal at the mill on sunday was perfect and a good price!
I think it would be great idea to stick to that next year. Then if the weather is pants we can all have lunch together. If the weather is great then the rideout and back to the mill worked perfect for those who wanted to take part and those who wanted to sit on the grass chatting and drinking tea. Perfect IMO

LouSCannon
05-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Bearing in mind this was my first Weekender and I'm still very much new to the club, some rather minor points (As I really enjoyed myself), so I hope I don't get slated for what might be considered negativity (Again, I really really loved the weekend)....

Rooms - I understand The Mill is going through a bit of a refit, so probably won't be an issue next year, but a shower would have been nice (I know some rooms had excellent showers).

MotoGP - Check times, would have been nice to watch the race with other fans in the bar and not miss out on the big ride out...

Ride Outs - Saturday was really well organised. I think on Sunday it was a little bit less so, obviously with more numbers (Almost twice as many)! But just some words like we had on Saturday about riding staggered, not shooting off if you get separated, and a few more florescent vests dotted through the pack for when we get broken up (As we're never going to keep that many together in one group)!

Awards - I found the Cosmetic and Mechanical awards slightly confusing, as did others as often if can be a matter of opinion. It could be some people put the same bike under different sections. Maybe it's just a case of a quick one or two lines to explain what is 'officially' classed as mechanical or cosmetic. Also I know Max (Pomp) had some ideas for awards from one of his other clubs (Such as longest distance travelled etc...). Also, maybe some 'honourable mentions' for those awards where the voting was very close?

Ducati - I've seen the thread about the Ducati Truck, and really think some corporate involvement, even for a day, from Ducati UK would have been good. We can see from Sunday it's not a small club, with 60 bikes making the ride out and many others dropping in and posting following the event I was surprised to hear the truck was at the Ace Cafe?!

The evenings were a little difficult being a newbie as there was a lot of friends together, the Pub Quiz was good fun despite me knowing very few of the questions! Not sure what else could be done in the evenings though...? :)

The variety of options for Saturday was excellent, and keeping it flexible where possible was good as I was guilty of changing my mind from the museum to the ride out with Rob and it wasn't a problem.

Personally speaking I'm certainly up for coming next year and although there is obviously a lot of history to the club and a lot of old friends I certainly didn't feel alienated and everyone was very friendly and chatty... so hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot for posting this...!

Julie
05-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I think you have raised some good points.
The evening thing is interesting as i was wondering how it would be for a new member. We do sit in groups in the evening but we are not clicky but it might look like we are. Its ace to chat to someone like minded and new, but not always easy todo. The quiz helps i think.

Pedro
05-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Some thoughts from me...

Bike Comp - I think we need to review the categories and clarify the rules for next year

Sunday Ride Out - I know this years was a bit add libbed but four of us got lost off the back after about 10 miles - I suggest the rule be "slow if you see the bike behind dropping back" as this should cascade through to the front, hopefully keeping the group together. Also some markers holding station at significant turn points would help as would marshalls/guides scattered through the pack. Riding rules need to be made clearer - a few mentioned they didn't hear the rules well or didn't understand them.

Sunday Lunch - I think the Mill is a good location and we should repeat again next year. However, we should consider a pre-order system for people coming on the day as a few were waiting for over an hour.

Generally pretty good this year though!!

BluprintZ
05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Breakfast and the evening meal was excellent but on a couple of occasions, i noticed the waitresses ferrying food into the bar area in the afternoon.
When i asked them what was happening, the reply was "did you order?".
So i told them i hadn't ordered, as i wasn't aware of when or who to order from, that confused me a bit!
As Jim (louScannon) mentioned (hi jim : ), a shower whould have been handy in our room, plus the bog wouldn't flush properly, so i mended it with a one pence piece and it worked so much better then.
I'm still not sure why Jim needed to have ear-plugs in when he was asleep, it's not as though i'm renowned for snoring or parping...Jim?
I missed the Sunday rideout, `cos by the time i dragged myself up three flights of stairs and got me leathers on and found the room key that i mislaid in my panic stricken efforts to get on the bike in time for kick off...you was all gone!
I did have a razz into Stratford town, i thought i heard that the ride was going thereabouts but no joy, so i want back t`mill and watched the MotoGP with a bag of jelly babies...so there!
I don't care, it was a wicked weekender, roll on next year!

Georgio :thumbsup:

Albie
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi all.May I just say it was one of the best weekenders so far. I think for me the weather changed the mood and helped a bigger attendance. That in itself caused a minor problem with ride out numbers but Im sure that could be resolved by splitting the groups with more marshalling.
Possibly the ride could be long and a short splitting at some point like a train. Rear on long ride front on short but ending up at same destination. Not everyone may want long rideout but you can have a chat about that.
The ride out does still have its faults as some members still are not listening to instruction or they are unaware that its slow at the front and fast at the back for a reason. I myself went to front as 2up and not that fast rider. I must say it was still manic and speed limits wern't being observed as much as I would have hoped. Im lucky enough to have a huge engine to catch up. Thoroughly enjoyable still and when it all went wrong people were like panic panic and just shot off. Lucky enough I kept my head and just plodded on a brought a few home who just trusted to tail me home. Was fun though

Im glad as it does seem we are doing some things that people want like we had a great afternoon out at Warwick Castle with some and others at Bike Museum and some on mega ride to wales. We often chat about doing this and that and its nice to see the surroundings of such a great venue. Next year we have plans to spend an afternoon on the riverbank in stratford in a nice bar for an hour or so. Loads of museums around and Belgians want to visit our Auto museums like down at Gaydon . That can be planned. If anyone wants to do the activity thing I feel that should still be a major option. We still have some major adrenalin junkies and why not !

The Ducati truck thing mustn't be worried about imho. It can happen and probs will sometime. I did speak last year to some about maybe we could just organise part of the Saturday rideout to involve a 1/2 hour to 1 hour drop in to somewhere like Ducati Coventry. Im sure they could rustle up a cuppa and advertise that a rideout would be coming to town. Good press for them and Ducati UK.

Venue is still superb and meals great. I liked eating there on sunday dinner. We dont need to watch TV but maybe just maybe some one could record BIKE RACING for evening viewing after dinner.

Quiz was good.

We need a list who would be a volunteer to be a marshall if next year needs some. If you were though you should wear a hi vis jacket or there would be no point IMHO.

I will put up my name for it as long as someone showed me the route properly.

Bike competition I think is a tough one. Some are missing out with much effort from themselves.Its a shame but it is a public vote and thats that. I do agree more needs to be described in catagory.

Anyhow I hope my comments are helpful and honest .

Im hoping to be of some help at next years and thanks to all who did this years.

SazzaG
05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
That's all good feedback so far guys, and us organisers have already had a bit of a chat about some of them.

It was mainly my fault for not clarifying the rules for the ride outs (I'll make sure I have notes next year). With so many old faces around, it's easy to forget that not everyone knows the "Wait for the bike behind you" rule. As has been said already, the Sunday ride was a bit ad libbed, and also we went off the marked route, so those at the back were lost despite having sat nav.

Keep the feedback coming - it will help us make next year's weekender better than ever!

My main suggestion - more volunteers for next year's organisation! The more people we have involved, the more the jobs are spread around. Also, it's the new people coming in and getting involved that will ensure the weekender continues in the future.

Julie
05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
hey albie
you'll be more than just a help - you have have been told by your good lady and JP's good lady that you are taking over the running of the weekender next year - remember that chat on sunday night x

Didge doing the rooms and you and JP ( and the kent bunch) are doing the jobs that saz and the others did this year.....

We went to a transport museum on saturday only 15 miles away from the mill.

I took the DVD with me that PD made but everyone seemed happy in tehbar so i never thought to put it on - but that would be a good option to watch maybe?

Albie
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
hey albie
you'll be more than just a help - you have have been told by your good lady and JP's good lady that you are taking over the running of the weekender next year - remember that chat on sunday night x

Didge doing the rooms and you and JP ( and the kent bunch) are doing the jobs that saz and the others did this year.....

We went to a transport museum on saturday only 15 miles away from the mill.

I took the DVD with me that PD made but everyone seemed happy in tehbar so i never thought to put it on - but that would be a good option to watch maybe?

Without wishing to hijack Yes I do remember and thats great. Like everything until you try to do it yourself you will never know if it will work.

Pedro
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Another thought after looking at the pictures....

How about we have a dedicated photographer tasked with getting a picture of every attendee and their bike so we have a good record of who came and on what. Perhaps also some group shots?

Julie - would you be interested, knowing your photography skills?

David Matthews
05-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I was around the middle of the pack and from there it went really well but I can imagine it may have been a bit disjointed at either end.

I went on a ride a couple of weeks ago and they had markers at each junction, that worked well. A couple of times on Sunday I saw bikes blocking junctions, wasn't sure if this was instructed or individuals using initiative, it worked though.

Albie
05-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I was around the middle of the pack and from there it went really well but I can imagine it may have been a bit disjointed at either end.

I went on a ride a couple of weeks ago and they had markers at each junction, that worked well. A couple of times on Sunday I saw bikes blocking junctions, wasn't sure if this was instructed or individuals using initiative, it worked though.

initiative

Pedro
05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
A couple of times on Sunday I saw bikes blocking junctions, wasn't sure if this was instructed or individuals using initiative, it worked though.

And likely to land us in the poo with the plod if not careful / unlucky as the only person legally able to hold up traffic is a copper. This has also lead to some very near misses in the past when cars have not seen or ignored the request to stop.

A marker at significant junctions is the best idea

J.P
06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi there.
Having been to three of the weekenders now I've seen a good idea of what's going on and I was a newbie too once, so I know how LousCannon feels about the evenings. So, let's make more effort to chat to members we don't know.

As mentioned above, Albie & I are happy to help sort out the rideouts & stuff. I've got the Sat Nav & Albie's got the self control to not get too carried away with the ride.
Saturday's ride very good, simple & drink & food at the end. Well done Sazza.
Sunday's ride, was bollox after four of us got seperated. I blame Dennis for making the route up as he went, which meant we could never find you again. Chipping Norton wasn't even on the route. That's the point of having other riders with the route. And 'Never leave your wing-man' should also read 'wait for the man behind'. Next time we'll just ram that mantra home.

Bike competition, if nothing more, should just get an update for a change.

Rooms. Let's face it, generally the rooms are pretty mediocre with various plumbing and mattress problems, but you know what, their hospitality is second to none, the food is very good & we effectively take the whole place over and use it as our own. Can't say fairer than that. We can all rough it for a couple of nights.

Saturday options after a ride is a very good idea. Whether you want to go to Wales, Warwick, Museum, Ragley Hall or the river bank etc, that should be up to individuals after lunch but, as we did this year, maybe the three options should continue, a little ride till lunch then, Warwick Castle (great) , bike Museum or a long ride, with a pack leader for each ?

We should look for what's going on in the local area too. We passed a field where grass racing was being held and that would have given us another option for the day.

J.P
06-05-2009, 12:31 PM
As an example, nearby was
Springspeed National Drag Races weekend.
Heritage Land Rover Weekend

&

Cats Protection Rehoming Day on the Saturday.

SazzaG
06-05-2009, 12:31 PM
All very good points JP.

Re the rooms - I've never had a problem. It's not the Ritz, but at that price, I think it's all fine (especially as the food was so good this year).

Re the Saturday activities, etc., what we need for next year is a bit more of an organised committee who can start looking around for options quite early on, rather than it being left to one or two individuals (which it has been the last couple of years). Just a little bit of forward planning by us all will make all the difference.

Spike
06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I thought the Sunday ride out was quite good as Denis had it dropped on his lap on Saturday night so not much time to organise, the problem of keeping the group together would be sorted if you looked out for the rider behind you and slowed down if they were dropping back.

JMo
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree with much that has been said...

• After last year, where some people felt the food wasn't particularly good value, it was mentioned to the hotel and they certainly listened. Likewise, I'm sure any other shortcomings can be discussed/addressed, and their ongoing programme of refurbishment may well do that anyway.

I agree that (some of) the rooms may not be 100%, but as JP says, it's about being there, and the benefits still outweigh the downsides - I have occasionally wondered if we might look for an alternative venue, but the Mill is hard to beat on so many levels, not least it's location in the UK (for the widest spread of visitors), the staff and owners being exceptionally bike friendly (not sure how Denis will take the Ducati logo burnout in the freshly tarmaced carpark mind you x), so it seems the Mill is still number one regarding venue.

• I also agree with much that was said about the Sunday National Rideout - this year it was very last minute (not even reccyed first, hence the ad-hoc route changes as Denis went along) and while Denis has a fantastic knowledge of the local area, I agree his briefing was all too brief, and the speed/route wasn't perhaps appropriate for the numbers we had this year. However, I do think that was down to the 'organisation' (as it was) presuming Denis would be there, and have come up with a route for us - I think we just need better communication with him regarding that in future?

Fundamentally, the point of the National Rideout is to ride in one big group, not have little sub groups. Therefore, I think more attention needs to be paid to the route next year - and not just presume Denis will do it... certainly I feel in recent years the format has slipped, and if I might be so bold as to suggest that maybe it's not necessary to have Denis as ride leader? - however, it does mean that someone will have to reccy the route before the rideout, and generally Denis has been happy to do that, hence why he has been the leader in recent years.

Certainly we used to have a short 20min/half hour run to a pub, and that was it - not a marathon 70 miler as it was this year! - I would suggest a tighter National Ride-out route of say 30-40 miles, dedicated marshalls ever 10 bikes or so (who know the pre-determined and reccyed route) and as Ped suggests, can stop and mark major junctions if required. Fundamentally though, making sure you can always see the bike behind seems to work... the mantra always used to be - follow the road ahead until the deviation is marked (by another rider).

Saz did a fantastic job on Saturday run (and did so last year too), so a dedicated club member to take on that role for the National Rideout would be my suggestion.

cont...

JMo
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
cont...

• I also agree the Bike Show categories need to be reviewed, but I wouldn't be too precious - it is after all (as someone else said) a public vote, and really just a bit of fun... as for clarification, I would have thought the catagories are pretty obvious? - mechanical mods would be the suspension, frame, exhaust etc. while cosmetic mods are bodywork, lights, bling etc. Paint is paint, and is still worthy of it's own specific catagory I'd suggest. Of course there will be cross-overs to a degree, and personal choices are always going to be subjective - personally I believe a degree of 'freedom' within the catagories is what helps to spread the votes (and love) around...?

Certainly with the limited budget for prizes/trophies, I wouldn't want to see one particular bike run away with all the prizes (hence my suggestion that a particular machine ought to only ever win in one category, and it should be down to the judges not just to count votes but to use their durisdiction in those instances it might be required?). That said, there has been a good (and obvious) suggestion as to how 'Bike of the Year' ought to be chosen next year, and I think that, together with revamped and clarified categories should suffice. I also agree that the runners up in each category should be announced (they have been in past years) along with some examples of the various comments - but remember that is a lot of work for whoever is doing the vote counting and presentation itself.

• As for the itinerary, I agree it seemed to work very well this year, particularly the new Sunday format - so I trust that will continue. I don't think anyone particularly missed have a 'main activity' on the Saturday afternoon? - and as others have said, with a little bit of research beforehand, a few options can be offered and run individually on the Saturday afternoon, as long as their are volunteers to lead the individual rides. I still like mini-motos mind you x

• I agree with Joo that the Sunday 'sandwich' menu at the Mill worked well, and was suitably affordable too. Ped highlighted a fair point about pre-ordering sunday lunch for day visitors - I think this was overlooked this year, but certainly it is feasible for someone to take their orders at the Mill prior to the National Rideout leaving - again, something that I'm sure can easily be addressed in future.

Although I'm the last person to champion anything designed by committee, I do think that the weekender needs an overall coordinator to draw up a list of everything that needs addressing, and allocate tasks to those suitable volunteers, to both spread the load, and ensure everything gets done...

Looking forward to next year already!

J xxx

Lucati
06-05-2009, 03:40 PM
When my kid started school he was given a buddy in the year above that looked after him, introduced him to people etc... how about a buddy system at the weekender? Weekender regulars could take newbies under their wing and introduce them - maybe a fraternity style initiation ceremony!?

gary tompkins
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
And likely to land us in the poo with the plod if not careful / unlucky as the only person legally able to hold up traffic is a copper. This has also lead to some very near misses in the past when cars have not seen or ignored the request to stop.

A marker at significant junctions is the best idea

Which is a great suggestion provided you can get enough volunteers to actually wear hi-vis in the first place. I tried offering bibs around on Sunday only to be met with.. " I'm not wearing that you can shove it up your arse", or " I'm not wearing that I'll look gay" type of remarks.

Some members are more concerned about loosing street cred, than helping to keep 60+ bikes in one group :rolleyes:

While on the subject of Sunday mass ride out..

How about splitting the ride into smaller groups, with a dedicated leader/tailender for each plus a few outrider/marshalls? These could even be segregated in terms of ability or weekender experience - novice/inter/expert as for track days. I could see it being far easier to keep a group of 20 bikes together for the duration. It would also avoid newbies feeling pressurised to chase faster riders to keep up with group, and prevent the convoy getting split by the slower riders within it.

Leaders must IMO stick to speed limits, and preferably stay slightly below them to avoid group getting strung out. If the leader is doing a constant 5-10mph over the limit, the tail enders will have to drive at mental speeds to keep up. I strongly beleive it's the leader, marshals and tail-enders ultimate responsibility to keep the group as a unit - not the riders within the group, most of which will not have a clue as to the planned route, or where they may be along it.

I was forced to ride at silly speeds for some of 2nd half of Sundays run, just to keep the tail end of the pack in front in sight, and that's just not acceptable. For a less experienced newbie on a slower monster that would have been a nightmare, and not a very enjoyable introduction to the weekender at all.

Yorkie
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I did not say 'Shove it up your arse', i said 'id rather sew my nuts to the floor!!'

And it doesn't match my eyes anyhow! Didnt stop me stopping traffic though, illlegal as it may have been!!!

Yorkie.

gary tompkins
08-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I did not say 'Shove it up your arse', i said 'id rather sew my nuts to the floor!!'

And it doesn't match my eyes anyhow! Didnt stop me stopping traffic though, illlegal as it may have been!!!

Yorkie.

I was working from memory Yorkie, and forgot your 'nuts to the floor' comment ;)

It's would have been nice to get a few bibbed up on Sunday, but in the end I was flogging a dead horse, and even lost the incentive to wear my own on run back to mill. Still needs to be properly sorted for 2010, we just need to thrash out a workable plan.

J.P
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Why don't we all suggest Yorkie wears a yellow bib, leads the rideout , and then we can all watch him 'sew his balls to the carpet'.

Yorkie
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Damn you JP!!!

Yorkie

Julie
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
...and hopefully stop him from doing his thing on the roundabouts on the big rideouts - which i think is not the right place (and i wasn't the only member who thought that....)

Sorry Yorkie - but please next year can you not do that thing you do on the roundabouts. Big group rideouts are not the place to fool about. We need to uphold a good image to the public and respect other riders and pack leaders and rear gunners.

lets not make the job even harder then it already it....

Yorkie
08-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Its fine i only did it once this year!!! Im not that un-approachable, people can tell me if im doing wrong, i wont take it to heart!!

I wont be there next year to bother people, im on a little holiday instead. (Which is nice!)

Yorkie

LouSCannon
08-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Awwww what did you do Yorkie?! I missed it!

Pedro
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I tried offering bibs around on Sunday only to be met with.. " I'm not wearing that you can shove it up your arse", or " I'm not wearing that I'll look gay" type of remarks.

Sorry Gary, I was guilty of that. If I'd have had half an idea that it was going to end up like it did I'd have changed my mind!

One other possible thought - what about breaking the ride into three sections, one possibly as a tea stop but perhaps another one or two as rally points, somewhere easy to find, should the group get split. If we lash everyone up with a photocopy of the route, then these should be easy to find.

I'm also close enough to recce rides next year if required

J.P
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Good idea to have the rally points.
I was looking at the map of the Banbury Road we travelled on on the Sunday and remembered there was a large parking bay along it somewhere. That sort of thing is a good idea just to get people back together. Similar sort of thing to the stop at Fish Hill on the Saturday or the tea break everyone else had when us four were lost.

bigredduke
08-05-2009, 05:40 PM
One solution, although it would involve prior organisation/activity the day before, would be to place small UKMOC pointers on sticks at the side of the road at junctions. Ideally on fluorescent card or plastic. If they look 'official' enough, they should be ok & not get disturbed.

Yorkie
08-05-2009, 05:43 PM
BRD,

Very good idea mate, tac sign the route, simple as!

A few swift riders could go out in the morning at place them out and then join in the ride out!!

Yorkie

ladybird
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
As my plans were scuppered by the accident I didn't get to do any of the rideouts (the offers were of course there for pillion and Jo kindly gave me a lift to Saturday lunch).
Maybe some options for the walking wounded for the Saturday, not that I didn't enjoy drinking in the sun, chatting and watching dribs and drabs of the late comers turning up.
Can we invite along a physio / sweedish masseuse (I heard there were pole dancers) for an afternoon pamper or something. this is a slightly tongue in cheek suggestion but you never know

With regards to the pre-rideout chats I couldn't really hear what was being said (could just be my hearing on it's way out). However, maybe have those in the courtyard by the bar where the wind doesn't quite carry the words away.

I'm still glad I managed to get there anyway, even if I did go home dead jealous :)

The food was excellent at The Mill.

rollo22
08-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I live and work in the area driving around the Cotswolds
Perhaps Pedro myself and a few others could use local knowledge to help plan 2010.

Mand
08-05-2009, 08:14 PM
£3.50 for a pint of beer.....................!

:eyepopping:

Pomp1
08-05-2009, 11:47 PM
This is my two pence worth:

Meals and rideout meals
No much to comment on this issue, meals were excellent and organization was good too, I appreciate that we’re not trying to run a MotoGP hospitality, so a bit of involvement and spirit of initiative should be present from everyone, as the organizers are there to have fun too.

Rideouts:
Maps should be provided and marshal set up. The turn up was excellent and is easy to get the groups split in such a large assembly. Marshals should be able to communicate between them( I’m sure I’m not the only one with radios and I’m more than happy to lend them for next year).
Some cardboard arrows on critical junctions would be an easy way to mark the path.
A support vehicle could be organized with few basic tools and spares, would have saved Mand afternoon on Saturday.

Bike competition
Perhaps people should elect their bike for one of the categories (Best paint, best mechanical modification, best esthetical modification, best naughty corner) I’ve seen this done with good results, by dividing bikes in areas and have people vote. After all you know what your bike strong points are and it may help narrow things down. On the other hand Bike of the Show should be an open, popular vote class as is currently.
Not sure that best naughty corner should get silverware(sorry Dave, even thought you should get one on fun factor alone), maybe a minor prize but not the whistle and bells.
Maybe an extra category should be awarded to the person that came furthest away for the weekend and a shine and show prize.

Time together
I’ve found the time spent with people most enjoyable and appreciate that everyone made an effort to introduce themself and chat. Badges were a good idea but a horseshoe table set-up (maybe only on Saturday)would have contributed to the spirit and helped the Mill logistic quite a bit (obviously this is something they need to look into).
I personally would have liked the chance to get back to the Mill in time for the MotoGp but hey, sun was out and tarmac was sticky!

Corporate participation
Ducati should have been there, no bones about it as Ducati and Monster owners are very loyal(and with some riders with other bikes they can get people over the bright side). We all know it wasn’t any of the organizers fault. Some other companies should be drawn into the experience, Red Bull would probably be quite happy, and maybe some of the mags.

All in all it was awesome, well done to all the people involved! I really enjoyed myself and will be back for more next year!

benson
09-05-2009, 08:00 AM
OK so I wasn't there but there seem to be some really clear messages for next year - especially with regard to the ride out. I witnessed a really horrible off at a roundabout in the week with a group of riders trying to stop traffic and some idiot riding round and round apparently waiting for his mates - he ended up losing a considerable amount of skin as he gracefully dropped the bike at about 35 mph...

Meanwhile just remember that fluorescent bibs might not be the chosen fashion accessory of the decade but they don't really affect your sexuality (look at me and I've never worn one!!!:on:) and they would help in the visibility and organisation stakes of the ride...

SO - all being well here's to another happy and safe weekender with great monster hospitality in 2010.

JMo
10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
While on the subject of Sunday mass ride out..

How about splitting the ride into smaller groups, with a dedicated leader/tailender for each plus a few outrider/marshalls? These could even be segregated in terms of ability or weekender experience - novice/inter/expert as for track days. I could see it being far easier to keep a group of 20 bikes together for the duration. It would also avoid newbies feeling pressurised to chase faster riders to keep up with group, and prevent the convoy getting split by the slower riders within it.

Leaders must IMO stick to speed limits, and preferably stay slightly below them to avoid group getting strung out. If the leader is doing a constant 5-10mph over the limit, the tail enders will have to drive at mental speeds to keep up. I strongly beleive it's the leader, marshals and tail-enders ultimate responsibility to keep the group as a unit - not the riders within the group, most of which will not have a clue as to the planned route, or where they may be along it.

I was forced to ride at silly speeds for some of 2nd half of Sundays run, just to keep the tail end of the pack in front in sight, and that's just not acceptable. For a less experienced newbie on a slower monster that would have been a nightmare, and not a very enjoyable introduction to the weekender at all.

I agree something needs to be done, but as I said above - surely the point of the National Rideout is that we all rideout together??? - two or three groups (doing different things) is basically what we did on the Saturday afternoon - the Sunday main meet is meant to be different?

Personally I think all it needs is a bit more (or just 'some') organisation. The route pre-reccied so there aren't any chenges en route, and marshalls every 10 bikes or so who have the route in their GPS/a map, and can lead their little group if the pack starts to split up.

As I said in my post above, originally the (mass) National Rideout only used to be about 20 minutes/half an hour, on local roads, and the enjoyment of riding en mass... after the lunch (or coffee) stop, we split into three groups (CK, Phoenix and Denis as I recall) and route seperate groups/routes back to the Mill.

I would suggest a similar format is re-adopted for next year - a short (ie. 30 minute-ish) mass rideout to a coffee stop. Then the option for everyone to split into smaller groups for the ride back to the Mill for lunch.

I agree with Gary (and Pedro - although as you do seem to keep getting lost, maybe ride a bit closer up the front next year, eh? xx) - that having the leader wizzing off at anything like the speed limit or over is going to create problems for the tail-enders, and as I suggested in my post above (I feel like Aribella Weir - "can anyone hear me?"), perhaps Denis is forgetting the size of the group, and not allowing for it?

I know there is a huge difference between 30 and 60 bikes, but Saz kept it together very well on the Saturday run, so it is possible - especially if there are marshalls every 10 bikes or so who can take over as leader if the pack splits?

Fundamantally though, I believe the National Rideout should remain as one group, and certainly the same route.

xxx

Mr Cake
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
(sorry Dave, even thought you should get one on fun factor alone)

No problem, Max. Glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

Right, weekender feedback

Beer too expensive! Even those south of Watford winced at the news.

Too many egos playing too much "Top Trumps - Weekender Edition": "Mine's got more torque than yours!" "Ah yes but you have bigger chicken strips..." Yawn yawn fecking yawn!

Café Stop Heroes - Thats actually a good thing 'cos I buzz my tits off listening to it :)

Fish Hill: Hugely overrated and disappointing.

Certain company at our dinner table on Saturday night was unbearable and some others and I had to retire early to the bar.

Naughty corner award very much deserved thank you, though there was alot of sour grapes from people I would not have expected. That in itself was the most disappointing thing :( Although it did occur to me that I was the only eligible person for the award due to the fact that I was there with my Monster owning partner, so those people with sour grapes can just watch what they fecking say in future, okay!?

All in all it was okay. Met a few great people, put some more names to faces.

Won't be back next year.

Dave

JMo
12-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Too many egos playing too much "Top Trumps - Weekender Edition": "Mine's got more torque than yours!" "Ah yes but you have bigger chicken strips..." Yawn yawn fecking yawn!...

...Fish Hill: Hugely overrated and disappointing.

Hypocrisy, non?!

xxx

Drucilla
12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
My ha'pennies worth as a Sunday Day Tripper.
I like the national rideout in the morning but would have preferred a shorter run after riding in that morning.

The run was a bit too fast

I had no real idea where i was going and sometimes felt that i was riding faster than i would have preferred on unknown roads to keep up to avoid getting lost - a map of the route or more marshals would help.

The cafe stop was great, nice to socialise.

I would have liked to be able to order food before the rideout so it was ready when we returned, however we ordered two baskets of chips after the run and when they arrived they would have fed about 8 people so no complaints there.

Regarding the bike competition, I do not really know enough by looking at a bike to know what has been done to judge which one is the best - some things are more obvious than others like paint jobs and extra wheels - but someone may have spent a lot of time and effort on their bike in ways that are not immediately obvious to the mechanically inept. These are hard for me to judge as they all look great bikes anyway.

I did wonder (as a suggestion only) whether it could be organised so that people could pre enter their bikes into a category before the weekender. They could enter a few details including name, registration and the category into a form and email it beforehand to the Forum. This info could be collated onto a voting slip for each category and then after the rideout those who have entered their bikes could park in their chosen category area to be judged. This might also make the onerous task of judging easier and quicker on the day as the bikes to be judged may be fewer and the information easier to tally.

I hope these comments are taken in the spirit they are meant, as I really appreciate the work and effort that goes into making the weekender a success and thank you all for it.

JMo
12-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I did wonder (as a suggestion only) whether it could be organised so that people could pre enter their bikes into a category before the weekender. They could enter a few details including name, registration and the category into a form and email it beforehand to the Forum. This info could be collated onto a voting slip for each category and then after the rideout those who have entered their bikes could park in their chosen category area to be judged. This might also make the onerous task of judging easier and quicker on the day as the bikes to be judged may be fewer and the information easier to tally.

That is actually a pretty good idea there Nat! Certainly I can see how grouping the bikes together (in various categories) when we park up for the competition would make sense - the only problem is if a bike is obviously appropriate for more than one category? And that if you are only allowed to enter one catagory, then the winner in each group is likely to be fairly obvious?

Actually, thinking about it - perhaps we could do it the way the Bristol Bike Show does - that is, you say which category/s you would like to be considered for beforehand (some wag will probably list all of them of course), and put a label on your bike as you suggest - that should speed up the voting/counting process as you say...

Hmmmmmm... food for thought? (with huge portions of chips!)

xxx

Mr Cake
13-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Hypocrisy, non?!

xxx

Don't quite know which part of the quote you meant by that, Jenny... But if you meant the Top Trumps bit, I was merely trying to fight my corner as the constant drawl of Jap bike bashing was growing wearisome. So the answer to your question would have to be "non".

Or do you mean that I am hugely overrated and disappointing...? Hmmm interesting... Not to the people that matter, no ;)

<Sigh> I thought those grapes would have ripened by now :rolleyes:

Mr Cake
13-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh I forgot to mention the lovely brisk-ish ride out with Ped after the all-too-brief and rabbit strewn run up Fish Hill on the Saturday. Cheers mate :thumbsup:

And of course, walking around and spending time with my lovely lady :kiss::heart::woot::D:biggrin::kiss::heart:

JMo
13-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Don't quite know which part of the quote you meant by that, Jenny... But if you meant the Top Trumps bit, I was merely trying to fight my corner as the constant drawl of Jap bike bashing was growing wearisome. So the answer to your question would have to be "non".

Or do you mean that I am hugely overrated and disappointing...? Hmmm interesting... Not to the people that matter, no ;)

<Sigh> I thought those grapes would have ripened by now :rolleyes:

Duuuuuuuude... no sour grapes from me?!

I was merely pointing out the irony that you couldn't bare the 'I am considerably faster'an you' bullsh!t, then bang on about fish hill wasn't much cop?!...

I actually agree with you there, it's just a couple of bends really - but if you'd ridden it a few more times, and a bit faster x - you might have got what the others were going on about? - of course I never have, so never got it either...

Glad you had a better time with Ped though - I guess you tried to out-grump each other?!

(oooh catty, moi?!)

xxx

gary tompkins
13-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Weekender Feedback Thread

Hi all,

UKMOC's organisers would appreciate comments, constructive criticism, and feedback good or bad on this years event. The idea being we can use this to help plan for 2010, and hopefully give attendees more of what they would like. Any suggestions for places in the area to visit, or activities to take part in will also be given consideration, so feel free to chip in with ideas.

Feedback can be on any subject relating to the 2009 weekender, but can we please keep it on topic and avoid chit-chat or hi-jacks. There are plenty of general weekender threads to post on elsewhere, and I want to keep this as crap free and constructive as possible.

Over to you guys 'n' gals

Get posting :D

All, Please re-read the above and keep this thread to constructive feedback

I didn't ceate this thread to see it degenerate into slanging match, so unless you have something useful to add don't bother. Any more rubbish posts will be deleted in future - you have been warned.

David Matthews
13-05-2009, 10:06 PM
National Rideout.

It was a shame for the folks who were near the back who got lost. The suggestions for next year will hopefully ensure that this doesn't happen again.

As the National Rideout it needs to be something to remember, I think that the 75 miles with a refreshment stop was a good distance. Everyone who I spoke to afterwards greatly enjoyed the ride.

This was the first time that I have attended a Weekender and will certainly be going next year. I was only able to go on the Sunday but it really was worth it.