PDA

View Full Version : cutting out

Ducmon
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi,

I struggled getting back from a ride to Poland yesterday with my wife, every time I gave Nessie a bit of stick. She would cut out. I would sit by the side of the road and smoke a ciggy whilst checking the fusses. She would then start again and run without any problems.

It look like she was either suffering from fuel starvation but when I checked the spark plugs they show that she is running a bit rich.

It could be temperature related problem as it was hot yesterday, but why would it only happen when I hit fifth gear and not in any other gear even when I gave her stick.

I will change the spark plugs and fuel filter to see if they are the problem but does having had her tuned with dynojet, K&n filter and racing exhaust mean that she needs the racing exhaust because I am running with 900 exhausts to keep the noise down.

Could it be the fuel which was bought from a cheaper no name petrol station?
Ducmon

gremlin
03-05-2009, 09:46 AM
if it was set up with a race exhaust, it will now be running rich with standard pipes.

Ducmon
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
if it was set up with a race exhaust, it will now be running rich with standard pipes.

will the mixture still be too rich if I fit db killers?

gremlin
03-05-2009, 09:27 PM
i cannot answer that one :worried:

Ducmon
23-05-2009, 04:46 PM
what ever the problem is it is getting worse. :scratch:. I have changed spark plugs cleaned the airfilter and changed the fuel filter. I have taken the tank of and fuel did not pour out of the tank. :scratch:. only a small dribble.

we have checked the the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line to the carbs and fuel was being pumped.

Is it possible that the tank can be blocked so that not enough fuel comes through as it is a very thin area when the fuel line is attached.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.:hail:

slob
23-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Fuel lines often get kinked when you lower the tank.
Check the breather on the tank is clear, it should vent to a hose behind the swingarm pivot r/h side.

Dookbob
23-05-2009, 08:35 PM
will the mixture still be too rich if I fit db killers?

Yes, because with the decibel killers you are reverting the flow back to as it was when the standard cans were on

Dookbob
23-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Check the vac operated fuel tap by bypassing it, they dont last forever, also check that the vac pipe between the tap and the inlet manifold pipe is still in place and in good order.

Ducmon
24-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have checked the the breathe pipe and it is clear. I dont have a vac fuel tap just a manual one being a 1995 carby model.

The fuel dribbles out of the tank even with the fuel cap being open.

There is also a third pipe which comes out of the side of the tank which is not conected to anything :scratch:. Is the fuel tank pressurised like on the ss models.

Ducmon
24-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I have found the problem. when I used a syringe to draw the petrol out through the petrol feed pipe a thick creamy material came out. A bit like sperm. It looks like I had a bad batch of fuel.

I have emptied the tank and the petrol is flowing nicely through the filter.

thanks for your help.