PDA

View Full Version : PowerComander on a 620?

Space Cadet
29-04-2009, 09:08 AM
My bike has just had a full cam-belt service and I think the next step now would be a PC, if I need one that is.

Just wondered what people’s opinion is on whether my ‘small’ 620 would really benefit from it?

I’ve already fitted a DP open air-box lid & filter kit and ‘For Race Use Only’ Termis, which I’ve subsequently cut down by 10cm.

There is a PC dealer with a dyno very close to where I live and I have been quoted £450 all in, which covers apparently £300 for the PC, fitting, before and after power runs and a proper custom map, not just one downloaded from the PC site.

Does this sound reasonable (considering it is very convenient location wise)?

Thanks.

Dookbob
29-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi, Is your 620 performing OK with the airbox and Termi upgrade. ie. is it showing any signs of running lean at all.

Space Cadet
29-04-2009, 11:07 AM
To be truthful as it’s my first bike I wouldn’t really know whether if it was running spot-on or not, it seems to be running fine to my inexperienced ears though. As mentioned it’s just had a service and the mechanic advised it might be running a tad lean but that he/I shouldn’t bother adjusting anything as it was running really well.

The PC would be to get that extra couple of BHP out of it and get it running spot-on, plus it’s another mod.

The PC guy obviously said that it would be really worthwhile due to my air-box and cans, but then you’d expect him to say that wouldn’t you, its just whether its money down the drain on a 620 at the end of the day?

Gilps
29-04-2009, 12:42 PM
The stock ECU doesn't have enough range of adjustment in it to cope with the open airbox and cans. To get the fuelling right you will need to fit a PC, or similar. The price quoted does not seem too over the top, although it wouldn't hurt to phone around.
To save a few quid you could pick up one second hand. I got one on this forum last year, brand new, £150. It'll take you about 1 hour max to fit. Then it's on to the dyno. The guy I use in Bristol charges £120 to set one up.

S4Rs-Tone
29-04-2009, 12:50 PM
The stock ECU doesn't have enough range of adjustment in it to cope with the open airbox and cans. To get the fuelling right you will need to fit a PC, or similar. The price quoted does not seem too over the top, although it wouldn't hurt to phone around.
To save a few quid you could pick up one second hand. I got one on this forum last year, brand new, £150. It'll take you about 1 hour max to fit. Then it's on to the dyno. The guy I use in Bristol charges £120 to set one up.

the stock ecu on my s2r coped perfectly with the dp open box , the decat pipe and cored cans.Dont be to speedy to spend your cash.

Gilps
29-04-2009, 01:34 PM
the stock ecu on my s2r coped perfectly with the dp open box , the decat pipe and cored cans.Dont be to speedy to spend your cash.

I'm surprised. When I did those mods on my S2r the fuelling was way out. The dealer could only get it so far with the Mathesis, then the PC got it spot on.
I suppose the easy thing to do is put it on a dyno first. Most dyno places only charge around £25 to do a run to tell what the fuelling is like. With a dyno chart you can then tell whether it is worth playing with further or not.

Space Cadet
29-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks. Coincidentally I’ve just had lunch with a client who had fitted a PC to a previous Aprilia, he said that although it only added a few bhp to the top end it really filled in the mid-range and made pick-up much smoother.

If £450 is about right then I’ll get the PC from him as well because he said that fitting is normally about £50 but he’d do it for free because I’m having the full set-up and am buying the PC through him.

big_valve
04-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I've got a Power Commander PCIII for sale off my M620s ie that I just sold. Its got a custom map for open airbox and hi-level race use Termi's, using the standard ecu. Dyno graph shows the bike made 61bhp at the back wheel after set up, with a nice smooth power curve. It made a big difference to the running on mine. Let me know if your interested as I am going to post it in the bits for sale section.

Space Cadet
04-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I had a pre-PC dyno session yesterday, the bike with DP air-box & filter plus 'For Race Use' Termis (which I have shortened by 10cm) is running at 63bhp at the wheel, which apparently equates to around 70bhp. Not a bad increase from the stock 64bhp (I think it is).

The bike is running lean at all revs (because of the mods), I'm having a PC fitted and a custom map made on the dyno next Saturday so will report back with figures and how the bike feels/runs when I've had it done.

(Thanks Big Valve, but paid the deposit for the new PC yesterday)