PDA

View Full Version : S4RS missfire?

carr01
27-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Has anyone had the problem of missfiring? most obvious at low revs, which is annoying especially when on round a bouts.

leslie_dash
27-04-2009, 07:04 PM
not that I've noticed

JerryXt
27-04-2009, 08:27 PM
nope. Have you had the TPS done?

PDL
28-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Two things:

1. Is it a miss fire or a back fire?
2. How is it on idle once warmed up?

carr01
28-04-2009, 12:33 PM
thanks jerry, whats a TPS?
Also thanks head muppet, definatly not a back fire, total loss of control at the throttle only for a split second though, but enough to annoy espcially as i said when in slow moving traffic or tight round a bout. Its been behaving this way for a year and two services now, thought fiting a stubby on the end of the cat might have changed things...but no. Any pointers appreciated. anthony.

desmo
28-04-2009, 12:39 PM
It sounds as though it's not a missfire, but a flat spot.
My S2R did this very badly after I altered the exhaust & was especially noticable on roundabouts when either just feathing the throttle or slight excelleration.

I reckon your bike is running to lean & possibly the TPS needs setting up, book it in to your local dealer & ask them to check the CO% & adjust the TPS, that will probably cure it.

carr01
28-04-2009, 03:03 PM
thanks for the advice, will talk to ducati manchester to see if they recognise the problem.

JerryXt
28-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Tps == throttle position sensor

cairojay
30-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I have this problem at the moment - I've spoken to a couple of people about it and it happens when the temp gauge gets above 85C. Only very low down and only when opening the throttle otherwise it runs totally fine. Problem started when I had termis fitted with race ecu and air filter. Sometimes it makes the bike cut out completely. I spoke with Tim Blakemore and he reckons a PC would cure the problem without having to refit the lambda sensors. Apparently he can map each cylinder right across the rev range so I might give the credit card a bashing as it aint cheap!

leslie_dash
26-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I think i noticed this problem yesterday, only did it twice, it was very hot at the time!!! What has everyone done about it?

Tipusss
22-09-2022, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

sorry to revive such an old thread, but I've been having the exact same symptoms on my 2006 S4Rs. I bought it last year and the fuel mapping was all over and it was impossible to ride. Then my mechanic took it for remapping and the bike feels great at 40-60-90 mph, but at low speeds and only when the engine is properly heated up (85C plus) I get constant flat spots. Is re-mapping again a solution then? Apart from being annoying, is it actually bad for the bike in any way?

Thank you!

rollo22
23-09-2022, 12:29 PM
Your best bet i think is if you have non standard exhaust/cans get a REXXER remap it will get rid of all the bad running and smooth it all out.

Tipusss
23-09-2022, 01:52 PM
Thank you, rollo22

After a super quick research, I understand that Rexxer remap process is as follows:
1. Fill in a simple ish form before buying the Rexxer Evo unit (I don't think I need the Pro, right?)
2. Get the unit, connect to the bike, download the current map
3. Email the downloaded file to Rexxer and get the map back
4. Upload the map onto the Rexxer unit and then onto the bike

That sounds very straightforward and easy, is it so? My technical skill is super low and the only work I do on my bike is purely cosmetic, I don't even change the oil and the break pads myself, but this job sounds a bit too simple... Suspiciously so...

Thanks!

Mr Gazza
23-09-2022, 02:50 PM
I would try and stretch your mechanical skills to changing the spark plugs. You might be surprised at how much a fresh set will crispen it up. Mine typically seem to go off at about 6000 miles, but not always.
If that makes no difference, I'd get the injectors cleaned and after that think again about a re-map if there is no difference.

BTW, it's no good re-mapping or dyno-ing unless the plugs, injectors and valves are all spot on.

Luddite
23-09-2022, 04:30 PM
Thank you, rollo22

After a super quick research, I understand that Rexxer remap process is as follows:
1. Fill in a simple ish form before buying the Rexxer Evo unit (I don't think I need the Pro, right?)...

...or just post your ECU to Neil at Cornerspeed and he'll put the Rexxer map on for you and return it to you, probably within the week. www.cornerspeed.co.uk

Grumpy
23-09-2022, 05:56 PM
Have a chat with BSD, based in Eye near Peterborough.
Their level of knowledge with Ducatis of the S generation is extensive.
They maybe able to remap your bike without going to loading a totally new map.

I had a fueling issue with a bike about 7 years back. They resolved the problem by putting the bike on a rolling road, linking to their software package, then 'dialing' out the issue. Ran a treat.