PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Sealant Gone Badly Wrong!!

jrpdark
25-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi all

Looking for help on behalf of a friend with a M900. The bike was suffering from classic leaky tank hinge, so he tried some of that tank sealant that you put in and sloosh around. The bike has run badly ever since and it turn out that the sealant is flaking off inside and blocking the fuel outlet, causing the bike to stop running periodically. Not good.

He rckons he followed the instructions to the letter, so it's not clear why this has happened. Anybody had any similar experiences, and, more crucially - any idea how to fix it? I don't know what the stuff is and where he got it from, but it was a well-known make apprently. Is there some sort of solvent that can get rid of it once it's in there?

Any suggestions welcome...

Cheers

J

BluprintZ
25-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Bits of flaky rust may be the cause, it needs to be as clean as possible before using the sealant, otherwise it won't stick.

G.

desmo
25-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I would give up on it to be honest, it's not worth the risk of bering stuck miles from home with a blocked fuel system.
I would search around for another tank.

Nickj
25-04-2009, 10:30 PM
The stuff is Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate (MDI), essentially a low vapour super glue and quite nasty toxic stuff as all of these glues are. To have it work properly you need to scour the tank with some fairly nasty etching chemicals to get rid of the rust before tossing the stuff in and slopping it aound.
Removing it would take either a small jug of super glue release agent or as the stuff reacts to hydrohen donors a big jug of strong hydrochloric acid might do it. Then again it might just turn to foamy muck.
It'll be easier and a lot safer to get a new tank I'd think.