PDA

View Full Version : I smilled at the Google camera car i saw today...

Julie
24-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Like a fool - It will be interesting to see if i'm on the photo when that part of teh country goes live.

The A454 Brighnorth to Wolverhampton......

Rudge heath cross roads.

Has anoyone else seen it go by?

PhilLew
24-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, about two weeks ago it drove past my house, I knew it would have to drive out the street the same way it went in so I stood outside then crossed the road as it went past :-)

Someting to show the grand-children!

JMo
24-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Yes, about two weeks ago it drove past my house, I knew it would have to drive out the street the same way it went in so I stood outside then crossed the road as it went past :-)

Someting to show the grand-children!

"Yes kids, this is the house we were robbed at..."

It's all a bit bloody sinister if you ask me - who the hell gave them the authority to do this?

xxx

Julie
25-04-2009, 05:17 AM
america have had it for ages.

PhilLew
25-04-2009, 05:23 AM
"Yes kids, this is the house we were robbed at..."

It's all a bit bloody sinister if you ask me - who the hell gave them the authority to do this?

xxx

It's a public street, they don't need authority.
Street view doesn't show anything that can't bee seen by anybody walking or driving by your house anyway, If a burglar wanted to case a house to rob I'm sure they would find a better way than a photo taken from a moving car some un-determined time ago.

If you're worried about invasion of privicy or security then check out Micrsoft's 'virtual earth' it's much worse. Their 'bird's eye view' shows arial photos for every property, taken at a 45 degree angle, from all four sides so you can see things that aren't visible from the street i.e contents of rear gardens, patio doors, access lanes and the like. I don't know where they stand on authority/privicy but I presume if your not happy with somthing that can be seen, then they would remove it for you just as google have said they will. :-)

Julie
25-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Street view doesn't show anything that can't bee seen by anybody walking or driving by your house anyway, If a burglar wanted to case a house to rob I'm sure they would find a better way than a photo taken from a moving car some un-determined time ago.

If you're worried about invasion of privicy or security then check out Micrsoft's 'virtual earth' it's much worse. Their 'bird's eye view' shows arial photos for every property, taken at a 45 degree angle, from all four sides so you can see things that aren't visible from the street i.e contents of rear gardens, patio doors, access lanes and the like. I don't know where they stand on authority/privicy but I presume if your not happy with somthing that can be seen, then they would remove it for you just as google have said they will. :-)

Jenny is just one of these paranoid people - Maybe she's a spy or something?

JMo
25-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Street view doesn't show anything that can't bee seen by anybody walking or driving by your house anyway, If a burglar wanted to case a house to rob I'm sure they would find a better way than a photo taken from a moving car some un-determined time ago...

Perfectly true - the difference is, they would have to walk down your street - not type in your address from a computer anywhere in the world and see what car your drive, what colour curtains you have etc. etc.

Give the people the facilities, and certain fractions will abuse it. This sort of thing makes it all the easier?

The fact that Microsoft (and Google) have a clause to say they will remove your details only shows there is a potential issue with privacy here? - yes you can walk down a pubic street and take a photograph - but if you then include it on a data-base with the specific intention of letting people type in a specific address to see what it looks like, I consider this the not very thin edge of a very big wedge. This technology is only going to become higher definition, and ultimately more intrusive.

xxx