PDA

View Full Version : OOOOO Great Time to get that smoky two stroke going again and save the planet

STIVH
23-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Scientists and Politicians both have their Heads up their own Arses neither knows what they are talking about anymore and both are swimming in our taxes.

clicky for another way to save the planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8013709.stm

Nickj
23-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Scientists and Politicians both have their Heads up their own Arses neither knows what they are talking about anymore and both are swimming in our taxes.

clicky for another way to save the planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8013709.stm

Even better for me living in the forest then :thumbsup:

gremlin
23-04-2009, 10:06 PM
It would help matters enormously if they didn't keep chopping down rain forests to grow palm oil for so called greener fuel. There was a study yonks ago saying that plants, growing in urban mucky areas grow better and absorb more CO2, think it was in the 70's when we were heading for the next ice age. Funny how things change.

Catspoon
23-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Plants have a remarkable ability to help sort out the mess we make of the environment. I remember reading about a project where some land contaminated with lead and mercury was being planted using willow trees to absorb the metals and other chemicals, thus making it safe to be used again. They expected it to take about 10 years, which would be longer of course than just digging it out and laying a clay surface over it, but the idea was to see if the clean up could be done in a way that was less wasteful of other natural resources.

Lordy I sound like a right tree hugger now!

Catspoon
23-04-2009, 10:50 PM
...funnily enough I always thought it would be great if the Highways Agency (or whoever it is in charge of motorways this week) had to create a tree screen twenty yards wide along the length of the motorways. Cuts down the noise and helps churn the CO being produced. I've seen them planting out in a few places but it's a bit sporadic.

Scootaboy
24-04-2009, 08:38 AM
...funnily enough I always thought it would be great if the Highways Agency (or whoever it is in charge of motorways this week) had to create a tree screen twenty yards wide along the length of the motorways. Cuts down the noise and helps churn the CO being produced. I've seen them planting out in a few places but it's a bit sporadic.

hmmmm fast motorway....millions of soggy leaves come autumn...great ;)

Catspoon
24-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Ah, didn't think of that. Oops.

gremlin
24-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Conifers would do it just as well, so no wet leaves. I've also wondered why the lights don't have their own solar panels in them so they could run themselves at night and possibly feed the grid if there is any surplus, and have a rolling bit that cars run over attached to a turbine, there'd have to be a gap for bikes probably but it is feasable or have tubes with blades down them in the central reservation which would catch the wind from passing cars they'd then have a turbine box at the bottom to link it to cable. The amount of cars going past would probably keep them turning most of the time. Obviously they'd have to have some type of regulator so they don't blow up when lorries go past. but I'm sure some boffin could come up with a way of doing it.