PDA

View Full Version : Bl--dy petrol light

harve
16-04-2009, 08:34 PM
riding along, just did a nice s bend type move round a roundabout and the bike died, no petrol the light did'nt come on!! pushed the bl--dy thing 2 miles on the busy A27, 20 bikes went past, none stoped, then a kind bloke on his wifes 125 stoped gave me lift for petrol.

1) anyone know what might have gone wrong with light and suggestions for fixing?

1) why dont bikers stop to see if other bikers are ok?

Pomp1
16-04-2009, 10:54 PM
my light comes on when she feels like it, I know I can do around 100 miles on a tank and I'm very careful with the trip, reset it nad so on, on the 2nd nr 1 question, well, 'coz they're jealous and they enjoy it when they see a monster in trouble..

jerry
17-04-2009, 04:43 AM
could be ...bulb...bad connector or the senderunit which is not cheap.

Redkite
17-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Not a lot of fun that. Resetting the trip meter every time you fill up is probably a more reliable method than the fuel light. I'm surprised no one stopped sooner to help though.

MagnaJeep
21-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I do have a similiar problem with the 750 Monster. Two weeks ago
the engine died during a trip with my father, he riding his Honda VT125
(huge tank and top gas mileage, but serious lack of power), the fuel light didn't appear.
I thought that i couldn't have run out of gas, but the odd sound of the fuel pump
and a quick look into the tank changed my mind.

Weird thing is though, that it should be pointed out on the instrument cluster,
but haven't noticed any warning.

I'll check a few things this weekend, but I'm busy fixing my 620 Monster.

Does your Monster flash all the diods when turning the key?

Offtopic:
The V-Rod has the most accurate fuel gauge I have ever seen, you can easily tell how
much gas is left in the tiny tank.

harve
21-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Magna,

no only the oil, nutrual and side stand light come on, then obviously go out once moving etc, thanks guys for your replies, will check out bulb and conections, if not then sender, from now on will refill at 100miles.

MagnaJeep
21-04-2009, 06:36 PM
When the light doesn't appear in the light check procedure, it's
most likely that the diod has died,
but I don't know much about earlier Ducati clocks.

My fathers 750i.e Monster shows the fuel light in the beginning, but seems
to be unable telling how much fuel is left in the tank.
Any ideas before I go start disassembling everything?

How should i proceed?
How can I check the connentor?

mholc123
21-04-2009, 11:11 PM
My petrol light failed on my M900 leaving me stranded - luckily a young lady in a nearby cafe took me to a petrol station and back and got me going again. I replaced the bulb but to no avail, I then tested my sender and I had no short circuit which I presumed I should have when empty so I have replaced the sender and will test at end of re-build before I venture out - let you know how I get on.

sheepshearer
22-04-2009, 11:59 AM
cough splutter gasp die went mine coming up the hill out of Leeds on the M621 last night. i knew it was low, but no light. refused to start. called the AA. waited an hour. got bored. tried starting again - well what do you know? started fine but only then did the tank light decide to come on!

decided to wait for Very Nice Man and got him to follow me to petrol station.

we decided that going up the hill i'd probably drawn air into the fuel pipe and that being left for a bit the bubbles had gone back up into the tank.

so i suspect a combination of fuel feed pipe and fuel warning sender positioning for the hill i was on

at least it wasn't cold wet and windy :)