PDA

View Full Version : I just wish I could ride half as well.

bigredduke
15-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Went out for a long ride today (over 200 miles), across North Yorkshire including the Dales. My buddy for the day was a neighbour of mine who is 62 years of age. He rides a KTM 990 adventurer. Not the prettiest of bikes nor the fastest. Having followed him for many miles, I have decided this guy is a God! I reckon he could seriously embarrass most sportsbike riders. His progress was constant, brisk and fluid, a joy to watch. His roadcraft, and control was sublime. But here is the crux of the matter. He rarely exceeded 80mph and always stuck to 30 & 40mph speed limits and yet he left me way behind on many occasions (not that I am claiming to be a great rider btw but I do have a few years under my belt).
Did I mention he is also an IAM instructor? I would love to have a go at the IAM but fear of failure at my age is holding me back a little.
I honestly don't think I could even get close to how this guy rides.:hail:

Steve M
15-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Really. Give the IAM or RoSPA a go. Nothing to fear... and you may enjoy the experience.

I speak as someone who started riding at 38, did the police better riding course at 40, and decided to give the IAM a go. I learnt a huge amount, my riding progressed from bloody awful to "the standard" in a few weeks. It took a while to become confident enough to try out as an observer, but was accepted, and after three years became a senior observer.

I'm no riding god nor a "natural", by any means. Just enjoyed the challenge of riding well.

PS. You have to try really hard to fail the IAM test. Your observer will provide you with all the information you need, and your riding will be cross-checked before the test. No IAM group wants anyone to fail so tend to be conservative in their assessments before the test.

Grumpy
15-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Go and do it!
I met a chap on holiday when I was 21, he became a life long friend. At the age of 25 he was an IAM advance instructor, and thro' our friendship, I became involved. A the time I would class myself as a bit lary on a bike. With his guidance and seeing that age has nothing to do with improving my riding I started finding out all about the advance riding system. I believe becoming involved stopped me from another statistic.