PDA

View Full Version : Which Monster for 1st bike?

Ben Smith
15-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone, Well after 8 years playing around with cars, ending with a year racing caterhams last year. I have decided i really fancy a change and want to get my bike license.

So the plan is to get my license and spend some time riding round on somthing that doesn't matter if it's dropped etc whilst i gain some experience.

In the mean time, i want to rebuild an old monsterinto my ideal bike. The building of the cars was the bit i enjoyed most. But being new to monsters, which model would be the best starting point? I'm planning a bare frame rebuild possibly in GSE racing colours but not certain yet.

Any help, advice or idea would be great.

Many thanks

Ben.

benson
15-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm biased - hopelessly so.

I have a 900ie which I adore and has been fettled and loved from the moment i got it 7 1/2 years ago.....

Happy hunting for the right beast - there will be a lot of folk happy to suggest what to do and which model to go for - but basically which ever one has the gretest capacity to make ypu smile is the right one!
:cool::cool::cool:

fatbloke
15-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd go for a S2r best all round Monster IMO
any thing with a rad is ugly FACT!

dam
15-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Gotta agree :p

SlowLearner
15-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Gotta agree :p

Me Too ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

geeman
15-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I agree go for the S2R

Arbeia
15-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Depends how much you wana spend. I have had the s2r and the 696 and both are great beginners bikes(my 1st was s2r) But the 696 is so much better in my eyes and is the ultimate 1st time bike.

Pomp1
15-04-2009, 09:08 PM
also depends if you want injected or carbs, if you're planning a rebuilt you may want to start with an early carbed bike (pre-2000) and spend the money saved in mods/bling/tuning. If you want raw horsepower go for the S4R and the like, if you happy with a sub-100 bhp lots of people like the s2r and the 1000DS, I've got a carbed 900 (early with large valves engine) and love it, easy to tune and modify.

gremlin
16-04-2009, 11:29 AM
It also depends on how confident you are, obviously you love speed, but do you want to jump straight in with a bigger capacity engine as a novice? My little 600 isn't the quickest bike there is although other half has had a ton on the clock, which is rather breaking the limit and I would have thought is plenty fast enough to start with! Beats other halfs Fazer on cornering and sits at 80 quite happily. They're easy to work on, most bits are still easily available, and it will be cheaper to run and to replace if you do kick it down the road. When you want to move onto something quicker it will hold its value pretty well as they are a populer entry level bike.

PDL
16-04-2009, 12:10 PM

How would you ever see the rad, as the S4R and Rs will always be in front of you. :)

mintyhit
16-04-2009, 12:24 PM
How would you ever see the rad, as the S4R and Rs will always be in front of you. :)

And the S4... :)

cairojay
16-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may have a rad but it makes it some beast....

after all as its called a Monster I wouldn't want anything too pretty, not to mention it burns off most of the jap stuff with the legendary Superbike Engine.

Keep an open mind is what I say!

slob
16-04-2009, 12:54 PM
How would you ever see the rad, as the S4R and Rs will always be in front of you.

Horsepower is almost irrelevant, it's the rider that makes the most difference in the real world.

I stuck to a 620 for several years because I knew I'd learn more about carrying cornerspeed on a less powerful bike.

Insurance may be the biggest factor for a first bike, it's all very well saying 'get an S2R1000 they're great' but you might find without experience and several years NCB, a 600 is all you can insure for less than the value of the bike again.

muthaducka
16-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi Ben

I've always been a car 1st, bike 2nd kind of guy. I've had a good play in the car market over the years and have grown tired of the expense for reward.

I took my test in 07, all in one, CBT, full advanced lessons etc and bought all the kit etc.
Now after owning two bikes, I think the order has switched, bikes are just more fun.

One thing I've found is that I can comfortably push most cars to their limits and beyond whereas the margin for error is much greater with a bike.

My second purchase (monster) has less power than my first bike and inspires more confidence and in the right hands could easily outrun many riders on faster bikes.
The worst thing you can do is buy something too giddy to start with, knock your confidence and then not go back.

I've got a 695 and it's perfect for modding. Plenty to tweek, classic lines and fairly straight forward. Insurance is cheap.

gremlin
16-04-2009, 02:54 PM
It would be very easy to buy a bigger capacity bike, scare the pants of yourself and say sod it. I know Caterhams are great fun and absolutely mental but there is a big difference being on two wheels with all the muppets on the road. I'd agree with Slob and Mutha, get something less powerful, learn to get the best out of it and once you've got NCB and a few miles under your belt get something a bit more pokey, and start all over again. I had a 125 then moved up to 600 and that was scary enough, starting on full power with no experience is asking for trouble. I know everyone says it's only as fast as you turn the throttle, but you can get carried away and with too many ponies you can get into all sorts of trouble far quicker.

JMo
16-04-2009, 03:46 PM
It does amuse me when these thread come up and everyone says "get a 600, I can handle the power of a bigger bike of course, but you as a newbie can't..."

I'd find that a little insulting - the guy races Caterham's FFS!

Slob is right you can make a 620 go like the wind in the right hands, but as others have said - the obvious choice would be something like an S2R 800 - it looks nice, is cheap these days (been around for 5 years) and isn't mental, while being usefully more poky than the entry level bikes...

Of course if you are on a tighter budget then a 600 is fine (and there are some very tasty customised ones in the club), but really, don't mess about with a bike that is a minimum of seven hard British winters old, has the older suspension etc etc hell, I'm boring myself...

xxx

ps. just reading Ben's post again, I guess if you are going to totally strip it and rebuild it, then anything goes - but I'd still stick with a post 2002 (ie newer chassis), EFi bike...

Paivi
16-04-2009, 05:11 PM
695 is stunningly beautiful...

Scootaboy
16-04-2009, 10:55 PM
695 is stunningly beautiful...

Even the top people at ducati recently admitted the 695 is the best bike they've ever made, everything else is utter rubbish from what everyone on here says

Arbeia
16-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Cough Cough!! 696 Cough!

animaluk
17-04-2009, 08:13 AM

i will not have you say my bike is ugly when you ride a multistrader :devil:

they is ugly

4 valve monsters rock there performance is awsome and i've had very little trouble with mine

Ive had a M600 in the past as well and the performance is a little pedestrian fun in the turns still but no a patch on the S4 (i love the 916 engine)

mintyhit
17-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Also the original S4’s are an absolute bargain these days due to the popularity of the S2R & S4R

I picked up an immaculate one with all the bells and whistles for a little over 2.5k.

The fact it has a small washing machine stuffed down the front doesn’t bother me at all :)

Mand
17-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Cough Cough!! 696 Cough!

Yeah but they look rubbish.

Arbeia
17-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah but they look rubbish.

A matter of opinion i suppose.

Mand
17-04-2009, 12:49 PM
A matter of opinion i suppose.

Indeed. :)

Arbeia
17-04-2009, 12:55 PM
696 has better components thats for sure and the 696 engine is much better.
But you must remember beauty is only skin deep and its the personality that matters;)

Mand
17-04-2009, 01:03 PM
696 has better components thats for sure and the 696 engine is much better.
But you must remember beauty is only skin deep and its the personality that matters;)

Hey I should know, I ride a yellow bike! :chuckle:

Yes, it is very much each to their own but I want to like the 696 for its looks but I just can't. Can I get a medal for trying?

Arbeia
17-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Hey I should know, I ride a yellow bike! :chuckle:

Yes, it is very much each to their own but I want to like the 696 for its looks but I just can't. Can I get a medal for trying?

look at it with the front light covered up:idea:

Mand
17-04-2009, 01:14 PM
look at it with the front light covered up:idea:
I know what you're saying but I have a problem with the trellis frame. (oh how I've bored the pants off Mr Cake going on and on about it but that's another story...)

I just don't like the way the frame looks, it just looks like an afterthought to me - I'm just old skool me! :chuckle:

Arbeia
17-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I know what you're saying but I have a problem with the trellis frame. (oh how I've bored the pants off Mr Cake going on and on about it but that's another story...)

I just don't like the way the frame looks, it just looks like an afterthought to me - I'm just old skool me! :chuckle:

As Bob dylan said..."The times they are a changing":on:

Mand
17-04-2009, 01:16 PM
As Bob dylan said..."The times they are a changing":on:

oh jeez, I'm getting old..

Pomp1
17-04-2009, 01:27 PM

the frame takes the idea from the DD16

Mand
17-04-2009, 01:29 PM
the frame takes the idea from the DD16

and that's why it has a fairing to hide it!

Sorry, I think we're hijacking this persons thread!
opps!

Dave G
17-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Another vote for the S2R as a first bike, the 800 rather than the 1000 as it has a lighter clutch and softer brakes (easily upgraded if needed), which is more important to a new rider than bragging rights about outright power.

singletrack
17-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I suppose it depends how much money you have.

JMO is right though - try to get a fuel injected bike if possible.

If it were me and I could afford it i would go for a 696 because it is the easiest to ride and will not date so quickly. But it will be most expensive.

Second choice would be an S2r 800 - the engine is lively but not scary and you are less likely to grow out of it. It is also possibly the most beautiful Monster ever made.

3rd choice - a good 695 or 620. ( or an 800 if you can find one)

At the end of the day any of the sub 1000cc monsters will make a great 1st bike. just make sure it has a full service history and has been well looked after.

Let us know what you decide.

PDL
17-04-2009, 06:48 PM
...At the end of the day any of the sub 1000cc monsters will make a great 1st bike...

Agreed.

Get a 996 S4R :)

OplayneO
17-04-2009, 08:13 PM
i went for the 696 and its restricted, plenty of fun even with it on. You can still get your self into lots of cheek clenching moments. at times i want to unrestrict it, but need to get more confident more of the time...also have it off my lisense (will be like having a new bike for nothing)!!

as with what other said i have done my fair share of fun, silly and fast cars. A bike is something else, very unforgiving in comparison but so so so much fun. I would say a 600 is fine if you don't have to much experience on this type of bike, my scrambling days don't really help to much on the tarmac.

harve
17-04-2009, 09:32 PM
ONLY MY OPINION

My 1999 600m is fantastic for cornering, but its a bugger to ride, especially in town, i think its the gearing, 60 feels like 80, i put it down to it being low. i compare it to driving a 08 fiesta to a morris minor.

BUT the handling !!!!! scrape my feet everywhere

gremlin
18-04-2009, 12:28 PM
ONLY MY OPINION

My 1999 600m is fantastic for cornering, but its a bugger to ride, especially in town, i think its the gearing, 60 feels like 80, i put it down to it being low. i compare it to driving a 08 fiesta to a morris minor.

That's why I'd say 600 for a novice, they corner on rails, you have to get it seriously wrong to get into trouble, they can be tuned pretty easily, they're cheap compared to the rest and are a good introduction to the quirks of riding a V twin. I have to say mine's not too bad in town, I used to find the clutch a pain but I've now got adjustable span levers and it's so much easier.
The thing is Caterhams are hooley machines so it would have to be something good to get the same buzz and maybe a 600 isn't quite up to the job in that respect, but mine does have my lunatic other half grinning like an idiot whenever he rides her and he normally rides a 1000cc bike relatively fast, it's all down to personal choice.

Dave G
18-04-2009, 02:03 PM
ONLY MY OPINION

This is why I'd pretty much recommend putting a 14tooth front sprocket on all Ducati roadbikes if they haven't already had it done. Much easier around town and completely unnoticed at motorway speeds too where you'll discover a use for 6th gear.

JerryXt
20-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I dunno, I quite like the new 1100 but the 696 does nothing for me. Actually, not strickly true - I saw a black one the other day - that really did look good.

Re the rad thing, wasn't FB banging on about getting a Hardley the other day? We're supposed to trust his judgement after that...

And when you open the taps on a 998 monnie - you just have to be there.

TCar153
21-04-2009, 04:04 PM
indeed you do!!!

harve
21-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Further to my last post, the 600m is'nt that bad, i just need to get used to it, i think the problem is i'm used to my 1200b! BUT the 600 is of course fast enough and i should'nt lose my liscence, it does enspire confidence

sweetpea
21-04-2009, 09:46 PM
( or an 800 if you can find one)

Find one ;)

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/classified/showproduct.php/product/2906/cat/27

I personally found having a larger engine meant as my experience grew the bike still had more to give.

Hope you find the bike of your dreams!

mholc123
21-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I am lucky enough to have an old 900 (carb) monster and a S4r, and I love them both. The 900 is plenty quick enough for a new biker and will be a good one for you to strip and rebuild as its relatively simple. I bought the S4r as I got overtaken on my 900 in the Brecon Beacons by a yout on a GSXR750 who took me on every straight but then who I re-overtook everytime we came to a corner - this was very frustrating and something needed to be done - hence the S4r, but generally was very happy with the M900.:booze: