PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak?

Paivi
15-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Coming back to my bike over the last few days, I've been seeing some black gooey stuff on the floor underneath the bike... Can't find my digicamera, but imagine the location to being underneath, to the left of the bike, a couple of cm either side (as in, front and back, not sideways) of the side stand (when down).

The bike was only serviced a week ago, so surely I can't have a leak... What else could it be? :look:

BluprintZ
15-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Maybe check that the oil filter hasn't come loose, when i removed the belly pan off mine when i started the strip-down, there were a few drops of oil in it and on further investigation, the oil filter had loosened off.

G.

Gilps
15-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I would check the sump drain plug too. It's not unknown for a garage to finger tighten it with the intention of doing it up with a tool later, then forgetting. If it comes undone whilst on the road it get very messy and very expensive.

slob
15-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Chain lube dripping from the front sprocket?

Pomp1
15-04-2009, 09:45 AM
the drain plug torque specification are often wrong across the whole Ducati range, you need another 5-8 Nm on top of the stated spec.

Paivi
15-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't even know where those things are on my bike, so looks like a trip to the garage... :banghead:

Unless there's somebody in SW or EC London who wants to get his/her hands dirty...;)

Stafford
15-04-2009, 10:37 AM
You don't know where they are!
The sump plug is the round thing on the bottom of the engine about the size of a 2p piece with a hexagon in the middle. Wipe it with a tissue and see what you get, and as slob said have a look below the front sprocket for drips etc (I hope you know where that is)
I'd have a look for you but I'm not in London till Monday night (staying at one of the Hilton's as well :thumbsup:) In general get down there and wipe around to find the source of the oil.

Pomp1
15-04-2009, 01:27 PM
wipe clean and then blow some talc powder on the bottom of the engine, that should help trace the leak. if is the drain plug you'll need a 10mm allen ,have you got the gauze filter changed as well? ( big bolt underneath oil inspection window)?

Paivi
15-04-2009, 02:38 PM
have you got the gauze filter changed as well? ( big bolt underneath oil inspection window)?
:twak: Speak English, will ya! :chuckle: You're overestimating my mechanical nous... I think I'll swing by Dave Robinson on my way home tonight. Would hate to make a mess of things...

katana
15-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Paivi - Gimme a shout to see if I can wander over and have a look.

Paivi
16-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Swang by Dave Robinson last night (does that guy never close??) and he said it's most likely the piston rod seals (iirc), so I'll need to get them sorted out this weekend.

Thanks guys for your help!