PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start

fixa-49
08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi, need help guys, totally snookered now and somewhat confused!!:dunce:

01 M600 (carb.)

Went to start up the other evening after a dampish day, I had been riding the bike in the morning. All lights normal but starter churned and churned, firing intermitently but not running. Tried again after a few minutes and it reluctantly started but when I switched on the lights it died. After that it would turn over on the button but not start.
Got hold of the wiring diagram and took the battery off to charge up (then drop testing indicated good health), when fitted back, the starter switch will not now turn it over although all ignition lights on correctly.

These are the tests that I have done, side stand switch unbolted and turned to run position:
1 Short from battery + to starter with ign. on:- Turns over nicely but won't fire.
2 As above but checked both plugs for spark:- No spark.
3 Check for power at starter switch:- Yes to switch and from switch when pressed.
4 Continuity between switch and 4 pin connector on the bars then to 3 pin connector next to battery housing.
5 Main Relay clicks in when ign. turned on.
6 Checked all fuses:- Good.
7 Short across the Safety Relay and short from battery to starter:- Won't fire.
8 Checked oil level:- Good.

I'm now at a loss guys, can anybody help? I can't do any further tests at the moment but I will after work tomorrow.

Thanks in anticipation.

Graham

Dookbob
08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I would be looking at the vac operated fuel tap to see if the fuel is getting to the carbs . Then it sounds like it down to the ignition, leads coils, pick ups etc.

Pomp1
08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
neither of the plugs is sparking?checked connections under coils? and I assume you've got a Haynes, checked coils?are sparks ok? clean and sound? my one she's really funny with dirtysh plugs after a rainy day..