PDA

View Full Version : looking at some parts from American Dealer....A question

STIVH
07-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I am having probs sourcing some parts for may Paso rebuild and have located the required items from an american parts dealer at a decent cost.

My question(s) is, if you can help?

Is paypal safe outside the ebay network with private sales?

These parts are genuine second hand (15yrs plus) so will I get hit with any additional tax on their arrival as they are £200 plus in value with postage?

I have sourced parts from the states in the past and not had a problem but this has been within the Ebay network or via normal credit card/internet sales but not at this value so if any one can give me a few pointers it would be appreciated.

Kiwi
08-04-2009, 05:58 AM
re duty

get a false declaration on the package sent to you as to the value of what is being posted

if its is low it will slip under the vat and duty trigger point

JMo
08-04-2009, 06:35 AM
re duty

get a false declaration on the package sent to you as to the value of what is being posted

if its is low it will slip under the vat and duty trigger point

Erm, nice idea if it's a private sale (and especially if the parts are secondhand, after all, who's to say what their value really is?)...

However, if the seller is a legitimate business in the US (or anywhere these days) they are very unlikely to do that for you as their are considerable fines, especially in the USA - and it's not worth their risk.

Anything larger than a jiffy bag sent transatlantic needs a customs form these days. All US mail has the senders address on it, and it will be quite clear if they are a business or not - so marking it 'gift' or 'sample' won't work either, as UK customs love to open anything that's sent by a company 'to make sure'... it's all about the revenue, baby...

Your best bet is to make sure you get the item/s ex US sales tax (ie for export), then at least that will soften the blow a little when you get the HMC&E notification...

And to think we imagined the internet would create a global market place?

xxx

STIVH
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I am hopeful this is a private seller so lets see what we can come up with together - my problem is the size as it is not exactly a jiffy bag - more like the whole front end of the bike?????

STIVH
08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Doesn't matter now the seller has just realised that I am in Manchester ENGLAND EUROPE THE WORLD!!!!!!!! and postage is now as much as the item itself???????

Why oh why don't people read their emails beyond the point of the $ and £ signs?

Back to the ruddy drawing board now.

Any one know a good alloy welder in the North West and a Stainless Steel fabricator for a teeny tiny little dial who's relatively cheap?

jerry
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
ebay is not safe for private sales ......