PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed for Potential Buyer.

OllySol
03-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Hello, a small introduction is usually expected so;
I'm 18, i work in a bike shop as an apprentice mechanic.
I've had a number of bikes, about to get a years ncb. Would quite like an M600 now. Never even seen one on the roads (weird huh). Was wondering firstly if anyone near the Canterbury area (Kent) had one and would like a free cup of tea. I'll be putting up an Ad in the wanted section also.
Olly

Pomp1
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
hi and welcome:thumbsup:. the Kent group has quite a few members, someone will give you some help.the M600 is a great choice. good luck with your search

Kiwi
04-04-2009, 06:03 AM
buy a later injected model

the carbed bikes are a pain in the **** when they are cold

PETE.AKO
04-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Yes i have a carbed 750 and its a pain in the backside in the cold weather
I was going to sell it!:fou: but now the summer has arrived its fine and the bikes
!!BRILLIANT!!

MonstaChicky
04-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes my 2000 carbed M600 is much happier now it's warmed up a bit...but he's behaving himself completely since he had a full service :) And sorry, Duncan is not for sale, I love him too much hehe

Welcome to the site...hope you get your monster soon!

Nicky

OllySol
04-04-2009, 09:49 AM
No, i'll definetly be going for an earlier model. You guys haven't heard of petrol additive i take it then? :D

crust
04-04-2009, 11:38 AM
The early M600 are cracking bikes.

Very easy to work on, easily upgradable with bigger - 750 or 900 engines.

Lots of bits from other models fit, shocks, forks, brakes etc

As has been said theres loads of Kent pepes on here and they do like to fiddle/change things so you should be right at home.

:)crust

Ducmon
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi, I have a carby 600. One of the best decisions I ever made. I never had problems with her running in the cold, it was me and my arthritis who did not like it so much.

gary tompkins
04-04-2009, 01:40 PM
No, i'll definetly be going for an earlier model. You guys haven't heard of petrol additive i take it then? :D

We have indeed (Silkolene FST Pro), but many UMOC'ers subsequently saw the light and got injected bikes ;)

Sadly the additive related advice regularly posted here, often falls on deaf ears - ho hum :rolleyes:

See if you can make the next Kent meet - Sunday 12th April. There should be a few members & monsters there if weather is ok, however the 7 day forecast for easter is not looking very promising...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=Kent

ColchesterM600
04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Hello mate
speaking as an 18 year old with a M600 they are good bikes to take down to 33bhp i took it out before and after i had to have it taken down and i didnt really notice a difference in performance.
They don't like the cold (well mine doesnt) but apart from that they are a lovely bike.
you will find yourself buying little things for it to make it look pretty though lol.

PETE.AKO
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
We have indeed (Silkolene FST Pro), but many UMOC'ers subsequently saw the light and got injected bikes ;)

Sadly the additive related advice regularly posted here, often falls on deaf ears - ho hum :rolleyes:

See if you can make the next Kent meet - Sunday 12th April. There should be a few members & monsters there if weather is ok, however the 7 day forecast for easter is not looking very promising...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=Kent

Well i have used all the additives it defiantly helps but dose not cure the problem!.
In the cold the front cylinder runs rich and takes out the spark plug.so always carry a spare plug! But only when its cold.!

chris yeatman
04-04-2009, 08:47 PM
In the cold the front cylinder runs rich and takes out the spark plug.so always carry a spare plug! But only when its cold.!

mine's the same, much better now tho, since service and warmer weather, but would go 4 the 750, much better i think

jerry
04-04-2009, 10:30 PM
my M750 runs sweet and starts easy in cold weather ,just need 5 mins warm up.

Kiwi
06-04-2009, 06:12 AM
No, i'll definetly be going for an earlier model. :D

good luck but the injected are definitely better

we have two ducatis one injected and one carbed

the difference is like night and day

We wish somebody had given us the right advice before we bought the carbed 600

OllySol
06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Want to sell me your M600 then?

davkyt
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM

I can vouch for that......its character building though...

davkyt
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes i have a carbed 750 and its a pain in the backside in the cold weather
I was going to sell it!:fou: but now the summer has arrived its fine and the bikes
!!BRILLIANT!!

I again agree.....its not worth taking her out of the garage at anything below 7 degrees.....
but what the weather warms up.....boy is she fun!!!

davkyt
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM

it doesnt work.....

yellowfever
06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Got a 1995 M600 and it does suffer carb iceing when certain weather conditions (damp and a fairly narrow range of cold around 0C) - freezing fog is the worst. Petrol additives help, but not a total cure. Ducati also did a carb heater kit which uses hot oil from engine to warm the carbs and stop them icing. These were fitted as a free mod to some bikes (though it is not a formal recall) in the early days. I've had the bike from new but never got the kit fitted at the time as they ran out of kits and I moved away from the dealer I'd bought it from so never followed up. But few years ago after a really bad bout of carb iceing I wrote a couple of letters to Ducati UK who after a bit of persausion gave me a kit for free (though I had to pay to have it fitted). It works pretty well for winter and there is a valve so you can turn it off for the rest of the year....

So don't be put off the M600, it is a good bike and the carb issues can be sorted and anyway are only a problem with certain specific weather conditions at limited times of the year (and I find revving the nuts off it helps too :) )

Yorkie
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I had a 600 engine fitted to mine originally and it was a superb motor! I had the carb heater kit fitted as standard and it helped a little with carb icing.

I rode the beast in all weathers, snow, ice and the occasional bit of sunshine and dry road!

Good choice to start off with!

Yorkie.

Kiwi
06-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Want to sell me your M600 then?

Its the wife's

and the descision is hers

and she does not make decisions......................................... ......

uksurfer
06-04-2009, 08:03 PM
carb-icing? not a problem on mine, i just leave it in the garage :)
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)