PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players

Seb_uk
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm considering finally catapulting myself into the 21st century and buying an MP3 player (yup, I don't yet own one...!)

Was wondering what peoples thoughts are on listening to music whilst riding? Have generally though up until now that it is probably not a great idea as could well be distracting, but have never actually tried it.

Mand
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I never listen to music whilst I am riding because............... I wear ear plugs!

However, I do have a Sony Sonic Stage MP3 - dead basic and does the job etc. I copy my CD's on to my laptop and transfer them over to it. Like I say, easy peasy.

Last week, I won an iPod Nano! Yes really! It is a lovely little thing and I signed up to Itunes which is really addictive - beware!

Hope that helps?
:D

giler
03-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Tried it once when I used to trail ride, the trouble was I loaded the mp3 with some really fast, heavy music. I found myself riding like I was trying to win a world championship:dizzy:
Now just prefer to hear the sound of a Duc!

Paivi
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I always listen to mine on my commute. I have it on low enough to still hear any emergency vehicles but high enough to drown out the general noise. I haven't noticed any change to my riding style depending on the type of music I listen to.

muthaducka
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
if you've got a mobile phone, it might be worth checking if that can play MP3 tunes or if you are do for an upgrade soon.

Most modern mobiles have decent storage to hold a good few albums and a few have radios built in. Might be a cheap was of trying it out or save you carrying two devices.

ducmon83
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
i'm always listening to music on the bike. i've taken the lining out of my snowboarding lid, which has headphones in, and doctored it to fit inside my bike lid. (i've also stopped the output from one ear - to allow me to hear traffic noise).

incidentally i use a sony walkman (mp3) which i find really good and pretty cheap.

Yorkie
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I tryed using my IPod thingy but even at full volume i could only hear it at junctions. Once i was moving the induction roar and cans blocked everything out, road noise and other traffic !

Life is good when its loud!

Yorkie.

MagnaJeep
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
The OEM Ipod earphones are crap, get yourself some in-ear earphones
that don't fall off when putting on the helmet. They isolate the ambient noise perfectly,
but I wouldn't recommend using both plugs, as you shouldn't get distracted from car drivers
who try to seperate you from your bike.

littlejimmy12
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
The OEM Ipod earphones are crap, get yourself some in-ear earphones
that don't fall off when putting on the helmet. They isolate the ambient noise perfectly,
but I wouldn't recommend using both plugs, as you shouldn't get distracted from car drivers
who try to seperate you from your bike.

agreed you wont hear anything with the standard IPOD headphones there aweful, hey fall out and become painfull after a while

Sennheiser do some very very good in ear phones, whichever brand you pick your still not going to get them totally flush. I sanded down mine so there pretty snug

hhmunro
03-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Last week, I won an iPod Nano! Yes really! It is a lovely little thing and I signed up to Itunes which is really addictive - beware!

Itunes, how do they do it and make a profit?
Can't believe it costs more to download an album than to buy it from Amazon, amazing...
www.justmusicstore.com
It is the way forward...

mazydog
03-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I got some off eBay that are specificaly for bikes, they have a Velcro fitment and fitt snugley in the helmet, an external wheel makes its easy to change volume. They are spot on about £12 from memory.

I ran the Snake pass twice last week with different tracks it does make a difference to how you ride.

Seb_uk
06-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

Think I'm going to pick up a cheap one from Tesco soon. Will have to fix my computer first though as it broke over the weekend (and it's still not online...... :rolleyes: ) Plus my favourite internet cafe also appears to have become a victim of the recession and closed down :(