PDA

View Full Version : Differences (if any) between DP 620 oil-cooler and standard version fitted to bigger

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
As above really, the price of a new DP 620 cooler is huge, I was wondering if I got hold of a 2nd hand one fitted as standard to a bigger bike if it would fit straight on?

Thanks.

slob
02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Will go straight on, you just need a special front inlet rocker cover with the mountings for it (from a 750/800) if you don't want to have to make your own mounting bracket, that's one of the bits included in the kit.

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks, much appreciated. Without getting into the debate of whether I really need one on my 620, I fancy fitting one just for aesthetics alone, but the cost of a new one has put me off. So I might see if I can source a 2nd hand one.

slob
02-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Might be able to help you with the cooler and hoses, if you're not in a huge hurry, but not the bracket or the connectors that replace the two blanking bolts on your engine

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks. I’m picking up a 2nd hand instrument panel on Saturday from 2B’s in Tottenham so I gave them a call this morning and it seems they might also have a 2nd hand cooler in stock, whether this all the hoses and connectors I don’t know, but will find out on Saturday.

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I’ve since spoken to Motorapido and it seems that I can buy new what ever spare parts I need that may be missing when I buy the 2nd hand cooler.

I’ve printed out a picture of the DP kit for the 620 and apart from the cooler and hoses and ‘valve plate’ (that is elongated for the cooler to bolt to) it all looks pretty straightforward and will bolt straight on.

The only problem may be a suspicious blue ‘cam’ looking thing; I can’t think what this may be or where it may go. Obviously I don’t want to buy the cooler 2nd hand off say an 800 to find that part of the DP kit for the 620 are parts needed internally along with just the external cooler and hoses etc.

(Not sure if any of that made sense??)

slob
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
post a link to the picture

..found a pic on Ducati website, not sure what that is but I'm fairly sure there are no mechanical parts required,
it's the rocker cover/cooler/hoses/oil feed & return unions and a bunch of seals etc.

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?catid=cat1040130&prodid=prod860178

I’ve just read a post on this subject and it seems part of the kit is a spring-clip for inside the oil filter housing??:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=31327

Looks like this is getting more complicated than its worth. I thought it was just external bits to bolt on and that would be easy to identify off an old bike (such as the cooler, hoses and ‘valve plate’), but if there are loads of little widgets that are needed I’m going to be stuffed

sadbiker
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Put the clip in above your oil filter.. Can't remember what it does but they are fitted to the 750 and I found it by looking at the exploded view for the 750 for the oil cooler which was on ducati's website, Basically the DP kit is the 750 kit. The oil radiator for the kit also has curved edges whereas older oil radiator were square edged.

I fitted it myself and the only thing that has gone wrong is the rubber perished on the mounting bolts. Able to buy these seperately and replaced them. I fitted it my self so it isn't to hard.

We fitted it as when abroad the temp's were getting a little high for the other half, it helped bring those down and does make it look the biz.

Some Pictures

http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/a?i=lpmXJSFKw0

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks Sadbiker, can you make out the clip from the picture I’ve attached the link to in my previous post?

Do you think it was definitely needed?, i.e. will I be alright fitting just the external bits such as the cooler, hoses and ‘valve plate’?

sadbiker
02-04-2009, 02:32 PM
if it is the clip i think it is look at the picture of the RHS of the bike, the clip sit's just behind the carbon fibre bellypan on one of the engine bolts and is to secure one of the hoses.

Personally I would buy the kit... It will save loads of hassle trying to get all the bits. You will also need a tube of engine gasket (ducati supply it) for the rocker/cam cover mount.

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Many thanks. So it’s not a mechanical part as such, but is a clip to hold the hose in place. I can live without this, for the time being at least.

Would you please mind looking at my link to the DP kit and tell me if anything in the picture looks odd, especially the blue looking thing in the bottom right hand corner of the picture.

I’m obviously anxious that if I go and buy all the external bits 2nd hand that I find I needed the new DP kit because of some internal widgets needed.

sadbiker
02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
The blue thing is the clip that goes above the oil filter in the housing, and its not really blue in real life from what I can remember, I thing we were confused when the kit turned up as it isn't fully like what is shown.
You have the 2 hoses, 4 double ended bolts which 2 connect to the engine for the hoses to fit and 2 go on the radiator again for the hoses. These are just below the 2 rubber mountes which screw onto the cam./rocker cover bracket and have 2 bolts which then act as the clamp for the radiator. I think most of the rest are washer etc.

As for the clip I would say you still need to secure the hoses otherwise they could become loose over time.

My only concern with a second hand radiator is unless you knew where it came from your taking a risk.

I know the DP kit is pricey but its good kit.

Regards

Pel

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks. I’ve just enquired again with Motorapido and the best price I can get the DP kit for is £310. I’ll see on Saturday what sort of price I can buy the bits 2nd hand for first.

I haven’t got a problem buying/fitting the 2nd hand bits, obviously I wont buy them it they’re knackered.

So just to confirm, all the bits in the kit are external pieces i.e. the radiator, bracket, cam/rocker-cover and hoses & washers, there aren’t any other bits needed?

sadbiker
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
The kit comes complete, just some gasket cement would be extra. Might be worth checking around just to see if any dealer has one on the shelf willing to let go on discount.

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Sorry my fault, what I meant was: are all the pieces in the kit external bits? (hoses, radiator, bracket and cover) therefore as long as I can get these 2nd hand I’m not missing any internal widgets that would have come with the kit or are fitted as standard to the 750 internally.

Gilps
02-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I thought there was a part which goes inside the case to divert oil to the cooler once the engine was up to temeprature. It closes when the engine is cold to stop the cooler from cooling down the oil further, and opens up when the oil is warm enough.
When we fitted a cooler to the DD bike we didn't bother with the bit inside the engine as the bike was only ever going to be raced in warmer weather and max cooling was what we were after.
I've removed my cooler and I've still got the lines and connectors that go in to the engine. Let me know if you need anything.

Space Cadet
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks Gilps, much appreciated. So it sounds like the kit contains other bits other than just the external hardware.

So a) I bite the bullet and buy the kit.

Or b) I buy the 2nd-hand external bits and don’t bother with the diverter bit inside the engine.

If I go for ‘b’, presume the only problem will be that the bike takes a little longer to warm up?

(So which bits exactly have you got?)

Gilps
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks Gilps, much appreciated. So it sounds like the kit contains other bits other than just the external hardware.

So a) I bite the bullet and buy the kit.

Or b) I buy the 2nd-hand external bits and don’t bother with the diverter bit inside the engine.

If I go for ‘b’, presume the only problem will be that the bike takes a little longer to warm up?

(So which bits exactly have you got?)

I went for 'b' as we were going to be running higher engine temps and in warmer months. I'm no expert but I would have thought that if it was run like that in Winter then it would take longer to warm up. I've no idea of what the mechanical implications are.
I've got the oil lines which run to the cooler and the bits that screw in to the engine that the lines connect to.

crust
02-04-2009, 08:41 PM
you need the little widget the goes above the oil filter or else the oil doesn't go round the filter.

You undo the threaded spigot the the filter screws onto, place the widget over the threads then screw it back in.

It blanks off the normal return hole and forces the oil to go round the filter, so check you've got it the right way round before you do it up.

Its a fixed plate, so does not open or close with temperature.

Then you undo/remove the blanking plugs, install the lines and cooler.

A cheaper way to do it is to go to a car racing/tuning shop and get them to make the lines and buy the radiator from them or source one from a breaker.

We used a Triumph 675 oil cooler and custom lines.

:)crust

Gilps
03-04-2009, 06:12 AM
you need the little widget the goes above the oil filter or else the oil doesn't go round the filter.

You undo the threaded spigot the the filter screws onto, place the widget over the threads then screw it back in.

It blanks off the normal return hole and forces the oil to go round the filter, so check you've got it the right way round before you do it up.

A cheaper way to do it is to go to a car racing/tuning shop and get them to make the lines and buy the radiator from them or source one from a breaker.

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew there was something in there but didn't realise that was what it was for. We ran ours without the widget with no probs but by the sounds of it we may have been bypassing the filter, oops. Someone told me that the plate was a deflector to put the oil through the cooler.

Space Cadet
03-04-2009, 07:52 AM

Many thanks. Correct me if I’ve misunderstood - So even if I sourced a 2nd hand set-up tomorrow, it would be ‘useless’ without the oil filter widget as I would loose the use of the filer? If so looks like the only sensible way to do this is buying the kit new, unless I can get the widget new from Motorapido.

Space Cadet
03-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I’ve spoken to Motorapido and I can buy the widget thing new (about £5), as mentioned above it goes between the oil-filter spigot and the casing. Not sure how it diverts the oil but apparently it does and as mentioned above it’s nothing to do with temperature. The oil will circulate around the cooler regardless of engine temp.

So…… depending on how much I can get the hardware for tomorrow I can buy the widget separately new, or if they want too much for the hardware I’ll bite the bullet at some point and just buy the complete 620 kit new.

Space Cadet
05-04-2009, 07:38 AM
After all that, the owner of 2B's in Tottenham (bike scrap yard) went back on the deal we had previously agreed on and wouldn't sell me a set of clocks (which was the main reason I was going there), so I didn't buy the oil-cooler bits in the end as I was obviously really p1ssed off with him. I'm definitely going to get a cooler but will wait for a few weeks and buy a kit new so I definitely have all the correct bits.

Thanks for everyone's help.

ryanracer
13-04-2009, 11:03 PM
We have developed an aftermarket oil cooler that will fit both the 695 and the 620. The kit also includes the "Bypass Spring" that is required and is priced significantly lower than the Ducati Performace kits. We have also fitted the same cooler to the 696 as well. I do not have any dealers in the U.K. but I am open to inquiries. I am going to include some pictures of the prototype we currently have on the 620 here in Arizona and the finished product that is for sale here in the U.S for the 696. The question I have for everyone is, would you prefer the lines routed like the 696 (all going to the opposite side), or like the S2R (one line on each side)? Any input from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ryan Hampton
H Competition

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6688/oci013.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9179/oci011.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6527/noshroud002.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/126/oilcoolerduc015xc6.jpg

Space Cadet
14-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Can you please provide a few close-up shots of the cooler and the bracket where it fixes to the engine. The OEM version has a new ‘cam-cover’ which is elongated for the radiator to attach to, how do you get around this?

ryanracer
14-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I can get a picture on Thursday when I see the bike again. We are using a stock valve cover, but have some modified spacers and a titanium bracket to hold the cooler. So far the thing has held up with no problems.

ryanracer
20-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Got some pictures of how we mounted the cooler. We also changed the lines a little bit to be more of the S2R look.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6091/620oc007.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8089/620oc006.jpg

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1260/620oc002.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3774/620oc014.jpg

Space Cadet
11-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Fitted a new Ducati oil-cooler kit at the weekend, although it didn’t come with instructions it was fairly easy to fit. There were a few extra bits left over but after speaking to Motorapido and giving them the part numbers found out they were for if I needed to dismantle the sensor on the top ‘cam cover’. But I just took the sensor out in one piece and screwed it into the new cover no problem.

All seems well and it looks great.

The only small question I have is that the kit came with one of those bent wire cable-hanger things and a longer casing bolt; it must be to hold one/both of the oil-cooler pipes steady. (There are a few on the bike already that are held against the casing with the casing bolts and they keep some of the cables tidy and stop them flapping around.) Well I can’t figure out where this one goes as I’ve held it against every suitable casing bolt and it’s not obvious.

(Do I in fact need it? the cooler pipes are pretty stiff and are not going to flap about.)

alreadyinuse
11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Ebay is your friend.
any 2v 750 upwards.

Thing about a secondhand oil cooler is you never know hwats happened to the engine it cam off.
so flush it before you fit it to yours incase its full of "mayonaise" Yeah i know its off an aircooled bike but condensation will do it too. Also any bit of debris form an engine blow up.

Space Cadet
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Post above edited to include the word “new”.

The kit was bought brand new through Motorapido, was worth buying new in the end I think as it came with loads of gubbins that probably would have been a pain to order separately.

alreadyinuse
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
sweet
you got it on yet?

Space Cadet
11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
For fear of repeating myself, I have bought one already and new.

Thanks anyway.