PDA

View Full Version : Jules' M600

Pedro
31-03-2009, 09:02 PM
We've been tinkering with Jules bike as well as mine over the winter, powder coated the wheels black, added a second front disc with a set of 900 forks, new braided lines on the clutch & front brake, powder coated the footrest hangers silver, repolished the exhaust & cans, powder coated the belt covers black & added some carbon side panels & given it a good clean!

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Jules/DSC00412.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Jules/DSC00413.jpg

walpole68
31-03-2009, 09:08 PM
That looks great.

harve
31-03-2009, 09:28 PM
very nice, very interested in the front fairing ?? and want to put another disc etc on mine, has it made a great difference? looks well smart

Albie
31-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Looks great for a wee 600. Classy with the black wheels. Very good job. Can you come and clean mine as its dusty and grubby still from belgium trip.

geordie
31-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Any chance you can come round and do mine.

Pedro
31-03-2009, 09:54 PM
very nice, very interested in the front fairing ?? and want to put another disc etc on mine, has it made a great difference? looks well smart

The fairing is a standard early Ducati part, they crop up on Fleabay every so often.

Only had a very short spin but the brakes feel about the same as my 900 so worth the change.

pegboy
31-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Looks great. Apart from the obvious with the added disc more stopping power what benifets do you get from putting 900 forks on the bike? Reason i ask as they might be longer than the standard 600's?? as i am a over 6ft this could be a mod worth doing for myself.

Paranoid Dave
01-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Ped, i like the bike, photo skills are a bit faded but anyway, where did you get the decorative exhaust collars - me likey and fancy a pair.

Space Cadet
01-04-2009, 07:57 AM
We've been tinkering with Jules bike as well as mine over the winter, powder coated the wheels black, added a second front disc with a set of 900 forks, new braided lines on the clutch & front brake, powder coated the footrest hangers silver, repolished the exhaust & cans, powder coated the belt covers black & added some carbon side panels & given it a good clean!

]

Pedro I was considering cleaning/polishing up my exhaust on my 620, although they’re discoloured and a bit rusty I thought they were copper coloured underneath, do you think mine are silver coloured like yours? - If so I’ll definitely give them a clean up now.

giler
01-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Looking really good, Jules is so lucky to have you:rolleyes:

MonstaChicky
01-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Looking lovely :)

scrapps
01-04-2009, 11:18 AM
looking nice,the black wheels look good :thumbsup:

Mand
01-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Somebody has been a busy bunny - looking good! :D

JMo
01-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Pedro I was considering cleaning/polishing up my exhaust on my 620, although they’re discoloured and a bit rusty I thought they were copper coloured underneath, do you think mine are silver coloured like yours? - If so I’ll definitely give them a clean up now.

Hee hee - you should speak to Julie - she was the polishing queen of the 620 exhaust! - and they come up a treat... although you do have to keep on top of them... Mand is a dab hand at that too...

xxx

Space Cadet
01-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Hee hee - you should speak to Julie - she was the polishing queen of the 620 exhaust! - and they come up a treat... although you do have to keep on top of them... Mand is a dab hand at that too...

xxx

Thanks. So are they all silver coloured (presumably steel)? Like I mentioned, mine looks to be a bronzy colour, even in the un-rusty parts.

JMo
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks. So are they all silver coloured (presumably steel)? Like I mentioned, mine looks to be a bronzy colour, even in the un-rusty parts.

Yes, the stock headers are stainless steel (albeit perhaps not the finest grade) and will polish up nicely, especially if you use a buffing wheel and/or a lot of elbow grease. The problem is the exhaust heat tends to discolour the pipes again to the coppery colour quite quickly, but the more you polish them, the longer it lasts...

xxx

Space Cadet
01-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, the stock headers are stainless steel (albeit perhaps not the finest grade) and will polish up nicely, especially if you use a buffing wheel and/or a lot of elbow grease. The problem is the exhaust heat tends to discolour the pipes again to the coppery colour quite quickly, but the more you polish them, the longer it lasts...

xxx

Thanks. I’ve been meaning to give them a clean-up for a while now having recently bought a bench grinder to which I’ve fitted a wire and polishing wheels. I don’t mind too much about them discolouring, it’s more the rust on the front header.

xxx back.

JMo
01-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I know Julie bought one of those polishing mop sets (wheels and paste) that you use with a drill, and got excellent results...

Looking forward to seeing your hard work!

xxx

Space Cadet
01-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I know Julie bought one of those polishing mop sets (wheels and paste) that you use with a drill, and got excellent results...

Looking forward to seeing your hard work!

xxx

I will be without the bike for a couple of weeks while its wheels are powder-coated white (to go with the white Capirex stripe) and some new tyres, sprockets and a service etc, so when it’s back and I’ve polished the exhaust I’ll post some pictures up.

(I/we’ve high jacked this post a little haven’t we)

JMo
01-04-2009, 04:07 PM
(I/we’ve high jacked this post a little haven’t we)

Hee hee - totally!

But then it's all about inspiration for others to get on and customise their bikes?

xxx

Pedro
01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Looks great. Apart from the obvious with the added disc more stopping power what benifets do you get from putting 900 forks on the bike? Reason i ask as they might be longer than the standard 600's?? as i am a over 6ft this could be a mod worth doing for myself.

The 900 forks are dimensionally identical, they just happened to have the caliper mount on both legs where the originals only had the left hand mount.

Ped, i like the bike, photo skills are a bit faded but anyway, where did you get the decorative exhaust collars - me likey and fancy a pair.

They're made by MPL in Germany, found them on Fleabay

As Jen has said, all monster exhausts are polishable - it's just that the grade of stainless steel is pretty poor and discolours quickly. If yours are very badly discoloured, you may want to send them for professional polishing - it took a week for me to do my 900 pipes with a drill based polishing set. The Sil Moto system on my 1000 took no time, my old man has a really good polishing wheel on his lathe and it took my about 45 minutes to do the lot!

Space Cadet
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
As Jen has said, all monster exhausts are polishable - it's just that the grade of stainless steel is pretty poor and discolours quickly. If yours are very badly discoloured, you may want to send them for professional polishing - it took a week for me to do my 900 pipes with a drill based polishing set. The Sil Moto system on my 1000 took no time, my old man has a really good polishing wheel on his lathe and it took my about 45 minutes to do the lot!

Thanks, I have a Bench Grinder/Polisher so will give them a go on that.

forresterone
01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Well done Pedro....you and jules have officially got the cleaniest set of monsters in the whole of wiltshire.....nice job....dont think my 696 was that clean out of the showroom....
Cheers jeff

Jules
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
After a busy day whizzy around the south west at warp speed supervising a team of nine consultants its very theraputic to spend time with a tooth brush, lots of quality wurth brake cleaner (no names mentioned), and lots of polishing cloths. My Thanks goes to Pedro for all his help and answers to most of my annoying questions. Looking forward to Arrow Mill for a decent spin out and see all the other shiny monsters.

chris yeatman
01-04-2009, 10:23 PM
looking good pedro/ jules, wen we gunna see them, soon i hope

Pedro
01-04-2009, 10:34 PM
looking good pedro/ jules, wen we gunna see them, soon i hope

MOT's on friday, should be out an about saturday, might nip down to Rapido for a bit

gremlin
02-04-2009, 09:00 AM
SS forks also fit to do the twin disc mod, which is how I did mine. Gives you two bites at the cherry so to speak!
It's looking good, but you've made a rod for your own back making it so lovely and shiny, every time it goes out you'll feel obliged to polish it for hours after. :D:D

giler
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
mot's On Friday, Should Be Out An About Saturday, Might Nip Down To Rapido For A Bit

Good Luck - You Seen The Forecast Saturday?

Pedro
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Good Luck - You Seen The Forecast Saturday?

Yeah, change of plans, if it's nice and they both pass their MOT, we're gonna head over to Foxes on Sunday if anyone else is about

chris yeatman
02-04-2009, 07:18 PM
ok, guess i am gunna get wet for my mot then :(

NattyBoy
02-04-2009, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Pedro;298789]Yeah, change of plans, if it's nice and they both pass the

I'll come down foxies mate..you still ok to give me a hand with the back brake tommorrow ?

Pedro
02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes mate, MOTs are booked for 2.30 and 3.30 so any time other than that is cool