PDA

View Full Version : High-ish miles on Monsters?

Duke_Hatty
31-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I tend to keep my bikes for a while and use them a fair bit. My S3 I had for 6 years and did 30k on it (820 of that in a day, once!), my CB500 34k in 3 years, and my Gilera Runner 180VXR 16k in under 2 years, not massive, but certainly well used.

I've not had any big bills in that time, the worst being a new (Used) variator on the scooter for about £100 and a few broken cables (Apart from general servicing and consumables of course)

The way it's going, I'm looking at 5000-6000+ miles a year for the 696, and I can't see me keeping it for less than 3-4 years, so I could be looking at 25k easily, maybe 30k, by the time I sell. Are Ducatis good for this? (I don't see why not, I do look after my bikes properly!)
Should I expect anything out of the ordinary? Any tips?

Cheers
:)

cairojay
31-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I've knocked up 7k on my S4R with the following issues:

starter motor got a bit stickey
burst seal on front fork

Both done under warranty. Other than that its been rock solid, I reckon I'll be clocking up a lot of mileage in the next few years. I spoke with Rich at Luigi Moto in Bristol and he reckons that as long you look after them then they'll be fine. I'm sure there are a few guys on here that have clocked up serious mileage without any problems!

Seb_uk
31-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I've covered just over 13k on my 07 plate 695 from new, most of which was in the first year when I used her a fair bit to commute and I've not had any major issues so far (touch wood).

I think as long as you keep to the bike regularly serviced you should be fine. As far as resale value goes I suppose higher miles would have some impact, however I would rather have a higher mileage bike with a good history than a lower mileage bike with a sketchy one.....

retskcid
31-03-2009, 06:34 PM
So long as they are looked after 25k should not be much at all, my S4 has over 22k on it (20k when I bought it a year ago, it took over £1k and many months to get it up to scratch) and I only use it for commuting.

JR
31-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Well, Duncan's Red Bull Monster had done over 45000 or 46000 last time i heard - perhaps done even more now, but he tends to ride his £450 Paso rather a lot these days.
I recall he had a wheel bearing collapse a few years ago, but not much else in the way of problems.

slob
31-03-2009, 07:25 PM
2002 620 ie
clock replaced under warranty
new clutch plates @7.5K
top end rebuild to cure leaking rear base gasket @30k
still running fine at 34K, need new head bearings soon

MrsJel
31-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Have racked up 8000 on my 08 696 - its just had its first big service. All that's gone wrong is that the spring broke on the rear brake lever that got replaced under warranty.

Duc's are much like many other bike now - they will look shabby after a couple of winters if you use them all the time and don't spend hours cleaning every grain of salt off them!

As for mechanical - don't expect them to fall apart unless of course you get a bad one. I'm quite happy - the last 2 monsters I had went with 13000 and 16000 miles on and had no real issues - neither of them were over 2 years old - so that's probably not a surprise really.

Carole

JMo
01-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Well, Duncan's Red Bull Monster had done over 45000 or 46000 last time i heard - perhaps done even more now, but he tends to ride his £450 Paso rather a lot these days.
I recall he had a wheel bearing collapse a few years ago, but not much else in the way of problems.

I think Duncan's 900 has done well over 50,000 miles now...

My 2002 620ie has done 38,000 miles and still purrs like a kitten...

The air-cooled bikes are rock solid mechanically - sure you might need rings and valves done at big mileages, but those would wear on any bike?

xxx

Jan (Belgium)
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I have 56.000km on my M800Sie from 2003 now,
Only thing I had was master cilinder of the clutch that broke down and was replaced under warranty.

Jan

Duke_Hatty
01-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Ahh, pretty good news then, generally. Yes, I'd rather have a well looked after & well used bike than a shabby low miler too. I don't really care much about resale values, as I get my use out of my bikes. It's more of a waste to not use them much: It'll cost more per mile!

But.....

new clutch plates @7.5K

Bloody hell! What the fek are you doing to it?
:eek:

JMo
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
But.....

new clutch plates @7.5K

Bloody hell! What the fek are you doing to it?
:eek:

There seemed to be a bad batch of clutches in the 2002 model year 620s (and some other wet clutch bikes like the 800ss around the same time)... they tended to prematurely slip, so Ducati usually offered to replace them as a good-will gesture.

xxx

sadbiker
01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
There seemed to be a bad batch of clutches in the 2002 model year 620s (and some other wet clutch bikes like the 800ss around the same time)... they tended to prematurely slip, so Ducati usually offered to replace them as a good-will gesture.

xxx

What gave this away ? The other halfs 02 620sie is on 19K now with the original clutch.

What we have noticed is at the top end of its speed it does seem to have what I can describe as a shimmer in its power as if it is loosing it, if I just touch the clutch lever this comes more pronounced.

JMo
01-04-2009, 03:58 PM
What gave this away ? The other halfs 02 602sie is on 19K now with the original clutch.

What we have noticed is at the top end of its speed it does seem to have what I can describe as a shimmer in its power as if it is loosing it, if I just touch the clutch lever this comes more pronounced.

Not sure that is due to the same problem (in my case, and Saz, and Fodder and quite a number of others as I recall) it was more in the mid rev range (ie. the peak of the torque curve) when accellerating in a higher gear... the revs would rise but not in proportion to the actual speed, then it would eventally bite and the bike would increase speed.

Not sure that is exactly the same symptoms you are experiancing? It may be just the plates in your 620 are worn?

xxx

sadbiker
01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Not sure that is due to the same problem (in my case, and Saz, and Fodder and quite a number of others as I recall) it was more in the mid rev range (ie. the peak of the torque curve) when accellerating in a higher gear... the revs would rise but not in proportion to the actual speed, then it would eventally bite and the bike would increase speed.

Not sure that is exactly the same symptoms you are experiancing? It may be just the plates in your 620 are worn?

xxx

Sounds a little different, this is more as the acceleration has hit the top, I seem to notice it more at er hmmm (90+).

ladybird
01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Coming up for 46000 on mine ('01 with 5k when I got her 5 years ago), rear wheel bearing went about 8k ago, been through a couple of clutch slaves, a master and some plates and things recently. Oh forks went a bit, but that'll most likely be neglect or the accident.
I am not a great cleaner, I rider her and take her for services and fixing.

banditloon
01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Where shall I start??

Well, Her Holyness has over 60k on the clock, I bought her with just over 30k in 2006. She had been used and abused before I got her, living down in darkest Cornwall, being attacked by the sea breezes... ect ect...

To date, what I have replaced,

Gear selector
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
2 clutches
rear wheel bearings
fork seals
belts
countless sparkies.
2 batteries
starter solenoid
oil cooler hoses

Things to do

New forks (they are pitted to wotsit now and need new shiney bits)
leaking petrol tank from the hinge
rear wheel bearings or even rear wheel
front cylinder needs tlc
new air box and battery holder (last battery leaked and the acid has eaten it, and all the paint off of the frame and engine)
rear shock
belts

As for my old Blandit, 76k in 2 years :) The joys of communting!!