PDA

View Full Version : Scrapps' 900ie

Pedro
24-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Scrapps’ Budget Bling Fest

I wanted to give my 2002 900ie a bit of a makeover. But I only had a small budget (around £500) so a lot of trick parts were not an option.

I thought I would spend a large chunk of the money on an eye catching paint job. Inspired by the stunning Paul Smart Imola 750 I went for a 70s style metal flake paint job with Paul Smart replica decals.

The bike is mostly original with only new mirrors, head light brackets and some carbon cans taken from my old 620. After stripping the bike in my dining room it was reassembled with new head stock and wheel bearings, a new chain and sprocket set and also stainless steel bolts.

The bike is now a real head turner and while it may not be to many people’s taste when the sun hits the thousands of tiny metal flakes in the paint it really does come alive.

I hope to do more mods as time and money allow but for now I’m happy with its looks.

Scrapps

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Scrapps/monsterpics015.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Scrapps/monsterpics005.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Scrapps/monsterpics014.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Scrapps/monsterpics003.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Scrapps/monsterpics004.jpg

Bodybag
25-03-2009, 01:30 AM
That looks wicked mate. I like the way the rearsets merge in with the paintjob without looking garish or over the top. Nice work fella. :D

JMo
25-03-2009, 01:39 AM
I agree - excellent colour scheme!

Top job, especially for such a modest budget!

Can't wait to see it in the metal(flake)...

xxx

fatbloke
25-03-2009, 04:56 AM
I really like that hints of the Paul Smart in the colour scheme.

Kato
25-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Scraps thats just lovely well done mate just show what can be achieved with a small budget and a lot of thought.

jimbo696
25-03-2009, 07:47 AM
That looks brilliant..I can't believe you only spent 500 quid..worth every penny...

giler
25-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Really like that, old skool look very well executed!

scrapps
25-03-2009, 08:18 AM
That looks brilliant..I can't believe you only spent 500 quid..worth every penny...

I saved a lot of money by doing most the work myself,(with help from Albie)and i was lucky to find a bodyshop who would do the paint work for a good price (panel care in canterbury) I kept most the bike standard saving me money and i also like the monsters shape,style and looks.thats why i bought one.

jimbo696
25-03-2009, 10:15 AM
So, panel care are good guys?? I need to get a hugger sprayed black, I wonder how much it would cost?

davkyt
25-03-2009, 10:26 AM
very nice....works well with the plant pot!

how many hours does it take to strip down a bike?

J_Dub
25-03-2009, 10:26 AM
That looks really good, I'm impressed what can be done on a modest budget too (I'm in the same boat), got me thinking.. :thumbsup:

Pomp1
25-03-2009, 10:38 AM
niiiiiiice!lateral thinking always works..

Scott1
25-03-2009, 11:51 AM
That is fantastic, on that budget as well, looks very well matched all over with the paint.

Lucati
25-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Respect to you fella! I think it looks great!

And refreshing to see photographs without bins in the background.....it's all in the detail!

scrapps
25-03-2009, 02:00 PM

And refreshing to see photographs without bins in the background.....it's all in the detail!

Thank you.. I forgot to put the wheelie bin in for the photos. maybe i will add one as i know Slob likes a good bin shot.:rolleyes:

Paranoid Dave
25-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Fantastic, just totally stunning and my fav type of makeover too - budget. Its not about the parts, its about the thought and style.

Is the frame painted or powdered?

Diego
25-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Very nicely done with such a budget. Respect!

scrapps
25-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Fantastic, just totally stunning and my fav type of makeover too - budget. Its not about the parts, its about the thought and style.

Is the frame painted or powdered?

Its powder coated,the frame is also metalic but does not show well in my photos.

littlejimmy12
25-03-2009, 04:30 PM

fair point and noted!

Albie
25-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Well I and Caroline think it looks fantastic. As for helping it was and is a pleasure to help mates out. Having done one before it makes it easier but very frustrating seeing an idea I had had before I ended up with my scheme being used with such great results.
I feel privalaged I have already seen it and sat on and admired the deep glitter in the paint.

Two things I recommend you do.
1) Get a seat cowl done for when you show it or solo it. It really would be the business.

2) Get those red ducati stickers of your lid. You now need to look cool on your cool looking bike. ( or get a Momo lid )

Well done mate and I really want to start mine over again. Yes REALLY !!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Albie
25-03-2009, 05:25 PM
PS mate told you the black exhausts would look great even with a bellypan.

alan c
25-03-2009, 05:51 PM
That looks great, love the blue frame and so shiny, well done matey !

Gadget
25-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Good looker there Scrapps. I look forward to seeing it in the raw soon.

Paranoid Dave
25-03-2009, 06:24 PM
How did you get the bottom yoke powdered then?

MilesB
25-03-2009, 07:10 PM
:yoparty: :thumbsup: :bunny:
I'd never recognise the old girl - RESPECT, and I look forward to seeing it for real.
You'll just have to dress tidy now so as not to spoil the effect.

Miles
Ex-owner of the now Ex-dark in question... it used to look like this
http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=370&cat=500&ppuser=1208

benson
25-03-2009, 07:23 PM
That looks really really good Scrapps - well done!

ladybird
25-03-2009, 07:42 PM
She's all purrty :)
I like the mirrors, are they sort of diamond shaped?

I have some light blue lipgloss that will match if you want it ;)

Albie
25-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Those mirrors are real nice I must say. A bit wide for filtering but a great rear rear look and very pretty.

scrapps
25-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Well I and Caroline think it looks fantastic. As for helping it was and is a pleasure to help mates out. Having done one before it makes it easier but very frustrating seeing an idea I had had before I ended up with my scheme being used with such great results.
I feel privalaged I have already seen it and sat on and admired the deep glitter in the paint.

1) Get a seat cowl done for when you show it or solo it. It really would be the business.

2) Get those red ducati stickers of your lid. You now need to look cool on your cool looking bike. ( or get a Momo lid )

Well done mate and I really want to start mine over again. Yes REALLY !!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Thanks Albie again for your help. a seat cowl would not be any good as i am two up to often.
lid is now just black,and i have the nice new retro jacket aswell:D

scrapps
25-03-2009, 09:30 PM
How did you get the bottom yoke powdered then?

I just removed it and took it to the coaters with the center part masked up.the powder coating is a real pain when it comes to getting parts back on as its so thick but worth the time and cost i think.

scrapps
25-03-2009, 09:32 PM
She's all purrty :)
I like the mirrors, are they sort of diamond shaped?

I have some light blue lipgloss that will match if you want it ;)

yes sort of diamond shape,and yep bring the lip gloss:eek:

gary tompkins
25-03-2009, 09:38 PM

You read my mind Albie - it's screaming out for matching seat cover. I would also consider colour matching the sidepanels, or leaving them off to reveal more of the frame?

Top job scrapps - it's a beauty & possible Arrow Mill BOTY :woot:

Duc600mon
26-03-2009, 10:46 PM
metalflake looks good!

MilesB
27-03-2009, 10:12 AM
You read my mind Albie - it's screaming out for matching seat cover. I would also consider colour matching the sidepanels, or leaving them off to reveal more of the frame?
Sidepanels and TAIL in metalflake... and it would be all the better knowing it's JMo's old tail :chuckle:

Miles

scrapps
27-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I think to much silver would be over kill.:scratch: I like the way the blue/black and silver looks. maybe a seat cowl would look good esp with the #on it to tie in with the belly pan.
I want to put older style pipes on it,maybe in satin black for the more retro look. i will keep my eye out for some secondhand.(single pipe conversion would be nice)
Happy to swap my lovely "carbon can co" cans for the right pipes s/h(my cans are new as replaced by insurance when stolen)

JMo
27-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Sidepanels and TAIL in metalflake... and it would be all the better knowing it's JMo's old tail :chuckle:

Miles

Ho ho... just goes to show you can polish a turd afterall then?!

I reckon we should all get a prize at the weekender - it's turned out to be a real club effort by the sound of it! - isn't the UKMOC great!

xxx

scrapps
30-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Dont worrie JMo i will not mess with the tail it will stay black....
anyway budget all gone and i need to save my pennies for the weekender beer fund:yoparty:

It would be nice to think mine (and Albies) efforts would be noticed at the weekender but there will be lots of bike biult by people with much bigger talent and budgets than mine who i am sure will do better.

MilesB
31-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Ho ho... just goes to show you can polish a turd afterall then?!
Some people could take offense at that :nash: - but you're gonna have to try harder with me :chuckle:

JMo
01-04-2009, 01:52 AM
It would be nice to think mine (and Albies) efforts would be noticed at the weekender but there will be lots of bike biult by people with much bigger talent and budgets than mine who i am sure will do better.

Quite possibly, but money and 'talent' are no guarantee of taste and class...

You've certainly got my vote for best paint, but you'd have to lose that ghastly tail for it to be my B.O.T.Y... x

(and I'd prefer to see the OE headlight brackets too btw.)

You've done a fantastic job!

xxx

scrapps
01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Cheers Jmo. I had a tail chop on my last monnie it looked great but i wanted to try and keep this one close to standard. I taxed it yesterday so it will back on the road today, i will do a few short runs first to check nowt falls off :worried:

Mand
11-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey Scrapps, sorry for the late reply but I think your bike looks dead good. Can't wait to see it at Arrow Mill. :)

He11cat
04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh wow!!!!!!!.....

I love it!!!!!!!!!.....

Im also going for the metal flake look a la disco ball affair .... I wish I could have my frame painted so much....

im terrified they will not put enough flake on mine !!!!!...

saw a car done in rainbow flake on black which I like ... but was so sparse looked like a wee sneeze of metal flake in the paint...

I say bring on the bling fest!!!! lol.....

Oh its fab!!!!

scrapps
05-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Cheers for your nice comments he11cat I like it and it sure is bling
Great when the sun hits it or under street lighting.

animaluk
05-09-2009, 12:56 PM
love the paul smart inspired paint

Looks good looks real good

He11cat
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
some people bikes are sooo blinging you have to wear shades when the sun hits them ...arc eye.. lol..:)

I don't think the paint people better let me near the glitter cupboard... itl be like christmas cards at playschool... glitter .. no more .. oh just give me the glitter ....whoops..sorry.. :(

Scrapps your bike is great... if all men had glittery bikes the world would be a wonderful happy place..
!! I think is tops!..it works so well.... love it!!!!.. honestly..
yours Hologram flakes???
I need to check out flake size as well... i don't want some piddly flake thing going on....
the car I saw the other week was a bit ... well... sparse.. squint and you missed the metalflake!!
im pondering between hologram and rainbow... if your going to do it then I feel it has to be OTT!!!..
My other bike has a discotastic glittery red seat as well that um made the owners club..weep then laugh!!..but they know me well!..... well done!!!

Albie
06-09-2009, 07:44 PM
It truly glitters. I was lucky enough to know about scrapps plans and helped do his project. When I saw the tank it was WOW. If it wasn't a copycat I would have my spare set of 1100 tank panels done the same.

kneedown
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
looks really nice 'so much can be done with out spending loads of money

He11cat
06-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I love metalflake.... but then if you saw my seat on other bike ... its glittery!!
zodiac do a good range for seat covering.
My bike seats are done by the guy who upholsters for the James Bond sets!! lol..
(and my hair is silly and dif colours ..and I often have glittery eyes... )

I think the bikes cracking have to say one of the nicest Ive seen

wonder who owns the blingyiest monster!!!!?
ie most glittery and dazzling and colourful??
I would love to see!!

id rather own a bike like this that has been done on a budget and well executed then something with hundreds of posh bits and carbon all over it...
each to their own...

and also to risk upset... if im paying for something id prefer to go to an engineer and have bespoke billet stuff...
If youv'e got it flaunt it.... but if you haven't and I haven't then it can still look great and more important make your stamp on your bike...and make it yours...

id never say this looked budget.. and i think good on you for putting your stamp on your bike!
id say this is up there with my fav other monster... who was made me go and get a baby basic one on looks... its great ...and bet it gets a lot of looks!...
I hope mine could look as great one day.