PDA

View Full Version : half way there

littlejimmy12
24-03-2009, 02:16 PM
to go on - rizoma triple and clips, kellermans, crg bar end mirrors, belt covers of some sort
gloss black seat cowel, alluminium sproket cover,

to do - lower lights and clocks, sort out flaky paint, powder coat radiator cooler (if possible), touch up engine cases

to come off - maybe the Zard system for Quat D - still mulling this over

Summer Time wil think about - brakes, airfilter would like to go down the rizoma fluid pods with brembo upgrade but dont want to lose me lovely shorty Panzo levers, any suggestions here????

any suggestions welcomed, open to ideas.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/UKMOC/Little%20Jimmy%2012/Littlejimmy12-1.jpg

Pomp1
24-03-2009, 02:28 PM
nice and tidy!

slob
24-03-2009, 02:32 PM
another classic Ducatisti bins shot.

littlejimmy12
24-03-2009, 02:34 PM
yea trying to keep it all as minimal as possible, its a never ending passion as we all know. Aim to finish by summer, still some bits and bobs to do. Hide the wiring is on the list. I have literally sold everything to fund this, last week my 15 year old record collection and turntables went, 3 pairs of vintage addidas, pair of Diesel Jeans.....you get the picure!! I own nothing! but I'm smiling everytime I go to work!!!!

Dave G
24-03-2009, 03:12 PM
If your dropping the front and fitting clip ons I'll pretty much guarantee that your OE brake lines wont fit so perhaps get some ready before finding out halfway through the job.

littlejimmy12
24-03-2009, 03:20 PM
yes your right I'd forgotten about this, so brake lines may need replaceing, any sugestions on type and I'll get on it asap

cheers for the heads up

grunter
24-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Halfords matt black on oil cooler applied with hot air gun will lose it ?

littlejimmy12
24-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I just did a test run on my sproket cover, took a lot of care prepind the surface and spraying with a gloss black and I have to say the results are about 6/10, I was going to do the belt covers and oil cooler myself but after the sproket cover I'm hesitant to make the effort for what was an average result.

grunter
24-03-2009, 03:31 PM
noooooooooooooooooooo matt yes :banghead: with heat will be much better:idea:

Dave G
24-03-2009, 04:52 PM
yes your right I'd forgotten about this, so brake lines may need replaceing, any sugestions on type and I'll get on it asap

cheers for the heads up

When I did mine I found the double banjo for two single lines just wouldn't fit so I'd suggest a split line for that reason, I uprated my brakes at the same time so the lines from an SS fitted my set up, but the fittings at the caliper are at a different position to your oe calipers which makes the angled fittings awkward, so standard SS lines may not work for you.

Part of the joy of this type of project is finding out just what works and what doesn't.:mand:

littlejimmy12
24-03-2009, 04:54 PM
joy joy!!!! tar for the tips

BluprintZ
24-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Part of the joy of this type of project is finding out just what works and what doesn't.:mand:

Bleedin' expensive way of finding out, innit? lol.
I'm in a similar situation with my re-build, i need to get some stainless banjo's for the oil pipes but the site shows several similar sizes and i'm not sure what the thread size is, so i don't want to be ordering the wrong ones...like i did with the h/bar risers.

Nice, tidy bike Jimmy:thumbsup:.

G.

littlejimmy12
24-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Bleedin' expensive way of finding out, innit? lol.
I'm in a similar situation with my re-build, i need to get some stainless banjo's for the oil pipes but the site shows several similar sizes and i'm not sure what the thread size is, so i don't want to be ordering the wrong ones...like i did with the h/bar risers.

Nice, tidy bike Jimmy:thumbsup:.

G.

expensive timely and frustrating

gremlin
24-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice wheels hon:mand::mand: How about anodised fork legs!

littlejimmy12
24-03-2009, 10:16 PM
yes I am very happy with those wheels, everyone says big improvement. Love to get the forks done in gold - maybe in the summer??? thats a lot of Jack D. Your right about the 1098 fender, looks good but doesn;t do anything!!!! oh well

Pomp1
24-03-2009, 10:43 PM
with venhill (http://www.venhill.co.uk/) you can build your own lines to measure (and color) use a bit of wire to mock them and measure them up..

simons
24-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Not sure if S2Rs are anything like my 1000Sie, but when I installed clip ons i did not think there was a need to change the brake lines. They were a little longer but did not foul on anything so I left alone.
Lovely looking bike littlejimmy, looks like marcus' old bike

littlejimmy12
25-03-2009, 02:50 PM
"looks like marcus old bike" that is tall praise indeed, I'll confess I have pics of his in my collection of monnies as a source for ideas.

scrapps
26-03-2009, 09:17 AM
The bike looks great
I used goodridge "biuld a line" for my front brakes.the lines are pre make in 25mm inc and then just pick the bolts and adaptors as you need.
my local bike shop stock them so i just took the bike to them then sat outside and biult what i wanted then paid for the bits used.(they even let me use there vac thingy to pull the new fluid thru):D

simons
26-03-2009, 02:27 PM
If you are lowering the headlamp and taking it all apart, i think black powder to headlamp/brackets and yokes looks rather nice

simons
26-03-2009, 02:31 PM
another one

gremlin
26-03-2009, 03:59 PM
sorry to say it again, black anodise ... the yokes and headlight brackets can all be done. powdercoat looks too heavy imoa..

scrapps
26-03-2009, 04:05 PM
My yokes are powder coated and look fine,i did away with the whole light/clock set up.
used studding to hold clocks on (sat on rubber washers) and bought after market brackets.
checkout the result on the scrapps 900ie thread.

littlejimmy12
27-03-2009, 10:28 AM
My yokes are powder coated and look fine,i did away with the whole light/clock set up.
used studding to hold clocks on (sat on rubber washers) and bought after market brackets.
checkout the result on the scrapps 900ie thread.

innovative work there, admire the fact that you haven't 'purchased' your modifications as such, anyone can buy up the Rizoma catolougue and create a generic 'monster mod bike' to do what you've done on a budget is awesome. Imagine if you didn't have a budget!!

scrapps
27-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your kind words. as you say lots of people just throw large amounts of money at there bikes and end up getting the same bits as all the others.
i dont have said cash so just did the best i could with my budget. i will do some more bits as time and money is found but i will always try to be a bit different.
I picked the paul smart colours as when at the belgium record weekend i did not see any bikes with that sort of look(a few nice cafe racer)

gremlin
27-03-2009, 04:36 PM
That was the ethos on my bike, zero budget so everything has been done by us. Anyone can buy off the peg stuff and end up with a generic "customisation". I think it's far better to do your own thing and make it personal to you. I don't care if people hate what we've done, she's how I wanted her, some of the mods are to make my life easier and others because we can, she's been Clives experimental project. Since she's been done the only times she's been out people have stopped to look and ask questions which is quite cool. She'll be a work in progress for a while as and when we have money.
Also I don't think it matters too much if you physically don't have the know how, as long as you have the vision of what you want, there is always someone who can help to put it into practice. Lots of our mates have custom bikes, some have been really innovative, I can remember one having a bit out of a coffee percolator to make a filter or muffler or something because it was the only thing that would fit! It was a stunning bike and until it was pointed out nobody would have known. You always have those who buy everything and the shed dwellers who make do with what they've got or make something different out of what they've got but that's biking. I'm happy to have a shed dweller cos whatever we have will be unique and homemade.

littlejimmy12
27-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I envy the shed dwellers, I wish I had a shed and the skill!! but as you pointed out there's always an abundance of willing friendly enthusiastic helpfull souls around to lend a hand. I think sometimes its good to remember what the whole point of getting that licence was - freedom, pleasure of the open road and like minded fellow bikers who share the passion, not for a flash bike but for the pure enjoyment of riding.

gremlin
28-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Shed dwellers are wonderful creatures, just don't try living with one! Most of the bikers I've met have been wonderful people, really helpful and supportive when things don't go to plan. I think there is also the cameraderie due to the fact we are a minority, often persecuted for our lifestyle choice and also vulnerable to the box drivers, bit like wildebeest, we don't know who will fall victim next so we stick together!
Can't wait to see the next stage anyway.