PDA

View Full Version : Engine Casing re-spray / Exhaust Polish

davkyt
24-03-2009, 09:37 AM
My engine casing and exhaust are starting to look tatty......along with the rearsets (if thats what the part is called that the footpegs attach to)

Iny info on how to spruce these up would be much appriciated

Cheers
Dave

Pedro
24-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Best option for the footrest hangers is powder coating - should cost around £10-20 ish

For the cases you're gonna need to strip them off the bike and eithr powdercoat them or paint them - if you do it yourself then Smoothrite gives a good finish

davkyt
24-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Best option for the footrest hangers is powder coating - should cost around £10-20 ish

For the cases you're gonna need to strip them off the bike and eithr powdercoat them or paint them - if you do it yourself then Smoothrite gives a good finish

Is taking the engine casing off easy?
Do you just need to drain the oil before doing this? Bolts and springs wont come flying out will they ?

PDL
24-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I use autosol on all the metal bits

Pedro
24-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Is taking the engine casing off easy?
Do you just need to drain the oil before doing this? Bolts and springs wont come flying out will they ?

Cases off means oil must be drained, it's not too difficult a job but if you're not too handy with the spanners you may want to enlist some help!

davkyt
24-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Cases off means oil must be drained, it's not too difficult a job but if you're not too handy with the spanners you may want to enlist some help!

I think if i had a torque wrench I'd be happier to set to work on her...

davkyt
24-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Thinking about it.....Could the wheels be treated in the same way?

Duc600mon
24-03-2009, 12:00 PM
powdercoat them! I'm gona get mine done next week, just had tyres removed today.
The paint started to bubble and lift in a few places.
same with the engine case on the right hand side, but will do both sides at a later date!

Pomp1
24-03-2009, 12:21 PM
in order to remove the r/h side case you'll have to remove the clutch assembly. the l/h is a doodle. Re the torque wrench is good to have one around, and are not that expensive..

davkyt
24-03-2009, 12:50 PM
in order to remove the r/h side case you'll have to remove the clutch assembly. ..

I've suddenly lost interest.....its sounds mor complicated than i originally thought

Pomp1
24-03-2009, 01:41 PM
doh, not sure on a 750 thought..sorry..

davkyt
24-03-2009, 01:46 PM
o well, I only have to push her 100meters up hill, then I can roll to the garage

Pedro
24-03-2009, 04:26 PM
in order to remove the r/h side case you'll have to remove the clutch assembly. the l/h is a doodle. Re the torque wrench is good to have one around, and are not that expensive..

Not on a 600/750, the outer case should come off without removing the clutch

Big Daft Lad
24-03-2009, 05:49 PM
They definitely come off without clutch removal. I’ve just done mine and polished the cam belt covers and the footpeg hangers.

This is taking ages to type with my nose due to having no fingers left…..:eek:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/BDL123/DSCF1130.jpg

BluprintZ
24-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Best option for the footrest hangers is powder coating - should cost around £10-20 ish......if you do it yourself then Smoothrite gives a good finish

I agree with Pedro Dave, deffo get the footrest hangers powdercoated, plus anything else you can, it's well worth it.
These are mine, powdercoated: http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/BluprintZmusic/Powdercoating/hangers2.jpg

They cost me £12 each, including a coat of lacquer.
I'm also going down the smoothrite route with the engine cases and a few other bits, including the top yoke.

G.

Pedro
24-03-2009, 08:33 PM
They definitely come off without clutch removal. I’ve just done mine and polished the cam belt covers and the footpeg hangers.

Errr, you forgot to polish the exhaust....

davkyt
25-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Yhis looks like my casing.....so the sides just pop straight off once youve drained the oil?

What did you use on your hangers and belt covers?

My hangers have a darker finish to them than yours, did you remove the dark finish?

Cheers
Dave

Big Daft Lad
25-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Yhis looks like my casing.....so the sides just pop straight off once youve drained the oil?

What did you use on your hangers and belt covers?

My hangers have a darker finish to them than yours, did you remove the dark finish?

Cheers
Dave

Yip, there's just the 10 or so bolts holding it on the clutch hose to remove and the oil pressure sensor wires to disconnect (I think that's what it is) at the front and it comes straight off.

The peg hangers and the belt covers were stripped using nitromorse then polished smooth with wet and dry paper. then finished with Autosol metal polish. That's all bare alloy so no good if you ride in the winter. You could get them really shiny but I like them like that.