PDA

View Full Version : Chain weirdness......???

Seb_uk
23-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi All

I have been having an absolute nightmare trying to get my chain tension correct :banghead:

It seems to be too tight, so I found the tightest spot, loosened the rear spindle bolt and turned the adjusting bolts 1/4 turn anti clockwise to slacken off. Tightened everything back up and found another tight spot, so same again. Have done this several times now and it's almost like I have an intermittant tight spot.... :scratch:

Have been doing everything as per the manual - 25 - 27mm play with bike on the sidestand, but just when I think it's just right I find that damn tight spot again!

Chain is a Tsubaki with Renthal Sprockets and has only done 5K and is in good order no stiff links, etc so am pretty sure it's not on the way out. I know all chains develop tight spots, just seems weird that I adjust to the correct tension on the tight spot, only for it to appear again! Am I going mad???!!!

manwithredbike
23-03-2009, 06:12 PM
1. is the bike on the sidestand when you check tension - both when it's slack and tight?
2. after you find a tight spot, does it go slack again when you turn the wheel back round to the original position?
3. have you seen a psychiatrist?

retskcid
23-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd try it a little slacker. I never measure mine when I adjust them, I just run them on the slack side of firm. I guess thats not very scientific advice tho'!

Seb_uk
24-03-2009, 07:10 AM
1. is the bike on the sidestand when you check tension - both when it's slack and tight?
2. after you find a tight spot, does it go slack again when you turn the wheel back round to the original position?
3. have you seen a psychiatrist?

1. Yes
2. Sometimes
3. Not recently, but am starting to wonder if I need to..... ;)

PDL
24-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Is the rear wheel lined up straight?

Seb_uk
24-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I think so. Chain has never required tightening so the rear wheel is as far forward as it will go.

davkyt
24-03-2009, 11:37 AM
How often do you have to change your sprocket and chain?

Seb_uk
24-03-2009, 12:00 PM
It depends on a lot of factors - how you aggressively you ride, how well you maintain your chain (lubing, cleaning, adjusting etc), and also the quality of the chain and sprockets.

To give you an idea my original OE chain was shot after 8k.

Some people use scottoilers too whch can lengthen the life of the chain by quite a lot.

manwithredbike
24-03-2009, 04:57 PM
obvious i know but - if both sprockets are running true and straight and lined up and are perfectly round, and if the wheel is turning with the swing arm in the same position, there should be even slackness.
i'd get an oxford stand or the likes so i could jack the bike up straight.

rollo22
24-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Daft question you have knocked the wheel back in after slackening the adjuster nuts. I have been known to give the tyre a good clonk with a lump hammer to make sure its all the way in.

paul morris
30-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Have you checked your wheel bearings and swingarm for excess play ?

Seb_uk
31-03-2009, 07:05 AM
The rear wheel bearing was fine the last time I checked for play which was quite recently. May be a daft question, but how do I check for excess play in the swingarm?

Dookbob
31-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Adjusting the chain doesn,t remove the tight spot , its just that the adjustment is safer with the tight spot on the bottom run