PDA

View Full Version : New but old track tires - should I buy them?

killerniceguy
16-03-2009, 02:38 AM
I have come across 2 sets of unused but three year old (Spring of 2006) Perelli DOT race tires. They are the last year of the previous generation Pirelli Supercorsa Pro DOT (Dragon maybe?) tires. They have been stored indoors (no humidity issues on Calgary, Canada) and are in otherwise new condition but almost three years old.

I am looking for tires for the track, I have no intention of using these on the road, I also have tire warmers. I have no experience with track only tires using Corsa III and Strada's on the track last year without and problems. I plan to race the monster this year in addition to track days.

Is buying and using these tires a good idea or should I pick up new tires? Finding any kind of consistent information/opinions on this topic has been difficult at best. Has anyone ever run old but new track tires?

Thoughts?

KNG

jimbo696
16-03-2009, 07:48 AM
IMO....if they have been stored properly and kept out of direct sunlight etc, they should be ok for the track... The problem is only when they start to vulcanise...or if you see tiny little splits in the tyres..
My experience has been with car racing tyres...but a tyre is a tyre!!??

CK & AK
16-03-2009, 08:36 AM
We only sell new or used track tyres that are current year or the previous year (which we do store properly).
If you are testing etc, then for safety's sake than dont cut corners by saving money on old rubber which is older.
If you do try these, then do check how hard the rubber is first - if hard, then dont touch with a bargepole!

Good luck this year mate

C:)