PDA

View Full Version : Service Schedule

Seb_uk
12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
As some of you know I recently had the engine casings on my Monster 695 replaced under warranty. Whilst this was being done they also replaced the timing belts, changed the oil + filter and various gaskets, etc. I then had the oil changed again 500 miles later.

My bike will be two years old in May and has currently covered 13000 miles. Now I'm wondering how this work will affect the service schedule. I had the first big service done at 7500 miles in December 07 and the next one is due at two years or 15000 miles.

There's no way I'm going to do 15000 mile by May but I'm guessing the two year service will still be due. Would I be correct in assuming that it will just be a case of having the valve clearances and clutch plates checked along with an oil change, etc? If this is the case I may put off until June or July. Any ideas?

Cheers

Seb

muthaducka
12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
It doesn't sound that straight forward. I always like to make sure everything is done as per the schedule, even if it doesn't always make that much difference.

I've had a look through my service book (same bike) and I would run through the check list for items required for the 10,000km and 20,000km services that have been changed recently and then make a list of the items left and get a quote for that work from ducati.

You could then continue your services as usual.

Only my thoughts

cairojay
12-03-2009, 09:33 AM
My 12 month service schedule is due next month and I have so far covered about 6000 miles. I spoke to the dealer about it and they said if I hadn't reached 7500 miles at 12 months to leave it until I had then they would combine the 2 service schedules together. Otherwise I would end up paying for 2 services.
Obviously if you're not covering this kind of annual mileage I would recommend that you still keep the annual service schedule and latterly if you're doing more then keep to the mileage schedule. Either way the general consensus seems to be regular servicing particularly if the bike is still under warranty. I find that once you find a mechanic you can trust whether it be for a car or a bike, regular services really extend the life of the vehicle.

Seb_uk
13-03-2009, 07:01 AM
It doesn't sound that straight forward. I always like to make sure everything is done as per the schedule, even if it doesn't always make that much difference.

I've had a look through my service book (same bike) and I would run through the check list for items required for the 10,000km and 20,000km services that have been changed recently and then make a list of the items left and get a quote for that work from ducati.

You could then continue your services as usual.

Only my thoughts

Sounds about right - was more or less thinking along those lines.

pike
13-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I've had my carb M900 from new for 8.5 years and only covered8,600miles. I religiously change the oil and filter once a year, fuel filter and belts every 2 years as per schedule. have only had to balance the carbs once.

As far as mechanicals, I do when the mileage reaches service interval requirements. e.g. valves for mine to be checked every 6000 miles. So won't be checking mine again until 12000miles as per schedule. That's probably another few years for me. I don't know if that's right but lets say if the engine sits idle for a year after checking the valves then surely the clearances wouldn't change as there has been no wear?

Have a go at servicing yourself..it aint the black art that some say. Just take your time and stagger the jobs.

good luck:thumbsup: