PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel alignment tool?

Space Cadet
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
What are those tools called for aligning the rear wheel properly?, thought I had seen one somewhere in a magazine.

Basically I’m fitting a new rear disc at the weekend and obviously have to take the rear wheel off, I need one of those tools to make sure the wheel and sprockets are aligned when I put it back on.

slob
11-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I bought a Profi Laser CAT last year, after years of happily aligning things the old way
(essentilally a steel ruler at the end of the swingarm and hope the legs are even)
I saw one in action and bought one the following week.
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catRef=537904

Space Cadet
11-03-2009, 04:34 PM
That's the one, thanks!!

CK & AK
11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I bought a Profi Laser CAT last year, after years of happily aligning things the old way
(essentilally a steel ruler at the end of the swingarm and hope the legs are even)
I saw one in action and bought one the following week.
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catRef=537904

Brilliant things, wonder where you saw it Rob? ;)

slob
11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I wonder....

chris.p
11-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I like that, I use a some what more Heath Robinson mthod, but it works.
two 6 foot lengths of 1" "U" profile aluminium, a 2" length of threaded rod and a couple of nuts.

bike onto a rear paddock stand check your front wheel is straight, lay the lengths of channel each side of the rear wheel and the front wheel, pass the bolt through a hole made in each length of ali and through thee lower part of the rear wheel, nip up the lengths of ali to the rear wheel, check the gap each side of the front wheel and adjust the rear wheel till the gap either side of the front wheel is the same, works for me :mand:

Chris.

Pedro
11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
You can always measure from the centre of the swingarm pivot to the centre of the axle - if both sides measure the same the wheel should be aligned

johnsy
11-03-2009, 07:05 PM
And there's me still saying 'let your eye be your guide' Oh well

slob
11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I've done it by eye for years too, if it's not straight you see uneven wear on the rear sprocket soon enough.
At Anglesey helping CK&AK out last year, we must have done about 10 tyre changes a day between both bikes and when you're in a hurry the Laser CAT is an excellent way of checking everything's spot on.