PDA

View Full Version : tail-chop kits? and drop bars?

MonstaChicky
10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Can someone tell me where to get a tail-chop kit? Found number-board thing on ebay but don't think that's it?...

Am also planning on getting drop bars...how much do they restrict movement?

Many thanks :)

Pomp1
11-03-2009, 12:29 AM
drop bars as in clip-ons? you need to like them. I bought some cheap ones and see if I liked them and just spanked on a new set, much nicer than the old ones.
In most cases they're not a straight swap, you'll find all sorts of things:
probably throttle cable fouling the headlight, front brake pipe too short, fork need to come up a bit and steering angle needs to be adjusted too. If you change the front brake lines for braided, I've used race SS one on a double banjo(bit longer than the monster one), but bleeding is a bit of a nightmare.
What year is yours?

singletrack
11-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Drop bars! Crikey you most have long arms for a girl, I can only just reach the bars as they are!

Seb_uk
11-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Can't advise you about the bars I'm afraid, but as far as the tail chop kit goes you're better off getting one fabricated.

They do sell them on Ebay, the most popular one being the competition Werkes kit from the USA I believe, but it is mighty expensive for a piece of metal!

A local engineering firm / metalsmiths should be able to make you one out of some nice stainless steel fairly cheaply. Just make up a template out of a piece of cardboard so they know the dimensions, etc.

BluprintZ
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Drop-bars?, Clip-ons?...ooh me back, wish i was young again. : )
I got a JMo chop kit a while back, although it wasn't specifically for my model, a bit of jiggery-pokery got it to fit properly, lookin' good.
As has been suggested, make up a cardboard template, then take it along to your friendly engineering shop, flutter yer eyelashes at them, you might get two. lol.

G. :thumbsup:.

Seb_uk
11-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Forgot to mention - When you mark up the mounting holes on the carboard template, it's better to get then cut as slots rather than holes so you can move the bracket side to side slightly when you go to line it up on the bike. I made the mistake of getting mine cut as holes and they were slighly off, so had to get them drilled out into slots. Stainless steel is a nightmare to drill!