PDA

View Full Version : crap Ducacti quality

jerry
06-03-2009, 12:41 PM
OK OK we know the clocks are crud and the fasteners are made of cheese and the paint is kiddies watercolor But how about Ducati Carbon fibre....hmmm methinks its ****E.. have a C/F clutch cover 2nd one ..never fitted properly now split and junk after 2 years .
will replace with a standard tin cover and gasket

Space Cadet
06-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Have had to send back a DP carbon rear-hugger, cam-covers and rear tea-tray, all were crap quality, either/all warped or really bad finished or mounting holes off-line.

Wont bother ordering any more, have bought a couple of after-market carbon bits and the finish has been spot-on.

Perhaps the after-market companies put a bit more effort into their production because they’ve got more to loose, Ducati it seems just assume we will buy whatever rubbish they churn out.

Nickj
06-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Ducati probably buy the stuff in from the same suppliers. Possibly why it's so hard to get hold of 'seconds' from the original makers LOL

OplayneO
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Anyone had any problems with wing mirrors on the 696? i was moving my bike and caught the mirror with my hand as i was going for the bars, next thing i knew it was on the floor! i didnt have gloves or a jacket on so felt exactly hard i touched it. spoke to riders who are ordering a new one but a 2 week wait. Cant rule out that someone didnt knock it off and balance it back on there for me to find later but seems a strange thing to happen. If its a common fault it may be worth getting some aftermarket ones or forget them all together as i am concerned putting my bike cover over them now.

only had the bike a week and running into expensive ducati spares, all good fun though and not going to stop me having fun. ;-)

bigredduke
06-03-2009, 07:15 PM
In my experience, most of the DP stuff is poor. They seem to use a number of different suppliers which may account for the variable quality. I have bought cf items from carbonworld in Germany and QB carbon in the uk. Both of those supply top quality stuff & the service is excellent.

jerry
07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
AHHHH HHA so now we Know ,,, boycott Ducati Crap.

littlejimmy12
07-03-2009, 10:57 AM
my seat cowel just broke off its mounting bracket after only been replaced in October! not good, I'm on my third one in 9 months

AndyP
07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I bought a pair of the DP carbon air intakes last year. What a mistake!
The fitting kit is a joke and the edges are trimmed differently. I might get round to making them fit but they'll need some sort of edging or protection on the frame to stop scratching.
Other DP stuff I've had has been fine though.

Seb_uk
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
AHHHH HHA so now we Know ,,, boycott Ducati Crap.

Apart from the bikes..... :D

Redkite
07-03-2009, 03:42 PM
After reading this post I examined the carbon on an 1100s at a dealers today and it is indeed low quality, thin and brittle looking. Some of it was marked too. Nowhere near the quality of the hugger on my S2R1000.
That said I don't actually like carbon. It might be lighter but I'd I'd rather have shiny black. Have a friend who's carbon obsessed; tank, cowl, everything. He SO proud of it, I think it looks f-in awful, :chuckle:

OplayneO
07-03-2009, 06:07 PM
After reading this post I examined the carbon on an 1100s at a dealers today and it is indeed low quality, thin and brittle looking. Some of it was marked too. Nowhere near the quality of the hugger on my S2R1000.
That said I don't actually like carbon. It might be lighter but I'd I'd rather have shiny black. Have a friend who's carbon obsessed; tank, cowl, everything. He SO proud of it, I think it looks f-in awful, :chuckle:

i agree with you on the carbon front, but everyone to there own. saying that i probably got some kit that make a few people scowl or even laughhttp://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/images/icons/icon10.gif it might be the tassles of the bars ends that really catch the eye!

does anyone know where i can find a price list for a set of termis for the 696 on the net or a good supplier, thought i would be happy with the standard cans for a little longer, but today thought best to earlier rather than later (not the carbon ones obviouslyhttp://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/images/icons/icon12.gif).

banditloon
17-03-2009, 06:01 PM
In my experience, most of the DP stuff is poor. They seem to use a number of different suppliers which may account for the variable quality. I have bought cf items from carbonworld in Germany and QB carbon in the uk. Both of those supply top quality stuff & the service is excellent.

I was just about to order a C/f clutch cover today from QB, only to find out they now order in Ducati own brand stuff and don't make their own :worried:

bigredduke
17-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I was just about to order a C/f clutch cover today from QB, only to find out they now order in Ducati own brand stuff and don't make their own :worried:

Then I suggest you try carbonworld in Germany, they sell a few different clutch covers & the stuff is really good. they often have items on Ebay, just search for Ducati Monster carbon.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/clutch-cover-closed-carbon-for-Ducati_W0QQitemZ350177919090QQihZ022QQcategoryZ104 48QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l12 62
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/clutch-cover-special-carbon-for-Ducati_W0QQitemZ350177919105QQihZ022QQcategoryZ104 48QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l12 62

BluprintZ
18-03-2009, 11:19 AM

I've got a C/F clutch cover going spare, replacing it with semi-open cover.

Send a PM if you're interested, then i'll send a pic back.

G.

JerryXt
18-03-2009, 01:30 PM
guys, with all due respect, re carbon, you're not making sense.

DP carbon is indeed sourced from many different suppliers, hence the difference in quality. I've never had a bad part yet, and I've just picked up a genuine F-03 fairing for my 749R - it's marked as DP and has the manufacturers mark too. The quality is outstanding. It's REALLY strong and extremely light. Crashes well - I've seen a couple that have serious battle scars and were still repairable.

Re the comment that carbon is thin - it's supposed to be thin - in fact, often the best way to rate carbon parts is in how thin and stiff it is - often thicker stuff is glass fibre with a carbon sheet over the top. That is expensive crap.

QB is quite good stuff, but it's wet lay rather than prepreg, hence the price.

Sorry if you've had a bad experience, but mine is all good.

jerry
18-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Comparing my 2000 M750 to the 2001 S4 the 750 is a far better finished product , paint is thicker and smoother on engine and frame and tank.In fact although it is the older bike and both have seen the same mileage 15K both have been cherished and had money spent but the M750 looks and feels like new wheras the S4 feels and looks decidedly used.Its paint on frame engine tank and the alloy are not as good quality as the older bike.Amazing !

gary tompkins
19-03-2009, 04:04 PM
guys, with all due respect, re carbon, you're not making sense.

DP carbon is indeed sourced from many different suppliers, hence the difference in quality. I've never had a bad part yet, and I've just picked up a genuine F-03 fairing for my 749R - it's marked as DP and has the manufacturers mark too. The quality is outstanding. It's REALLY strong and extremely light. Crashes well - I've seen a couple that have serious battle scars and were still repairable.

Re the comment that carbon is thin - it's supposed to be thin - in fact, often the best way to rate carbon parts is in how thin and stiff it is - often thicker stuff is glass fibre with a carbon sheet over the top. That is expensive crap.

QB is quite good stuff, but it's wet lay rather than prepreg, hence the price.

Sorry if you've had a bad experience, but mine is all good.

Sounds like you got lucky Jerry

I've bought many DP carbon add-ons over the years. Fit/quality was generally crap and for the £££ it cost a complete rip off IMHO

banditloon
21-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I've got a C/F clutch cover going spare, replacing it with semi-open cover.

Send a PM if you're interested, then i'll send a pic back.

G.

Cheers guys, my mate finally got one from Moto Rapido and left me to look at the sorry mess that is my Monster in peace! :D :chuckle:

Phatty
22-03-2009, 04:05 AM
I can relate to this totally. The front mud guard on mine is pretty crap, has bubbles in it and a noticeable joint

I'm also noticing bits of rust on the frame, under the seat where the grab handles are welded on, and paint is starting to flake off the engine at the front, between the front downpipe and the front wheel.

S4Rs MacK
27-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Yup, Carbonworld in Germany or try Felpham Bikes 01243 855297 ( south coast near Pompey I believe). I had a C/F short tail end from Felpham when I did my tail chop and its great. They do other bits as well.

rockjock620
28-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Felpham are good. The guy used to ride Ducati too.

Duc of Earl
21-04-2009, 09:12 PM
The DP rear hugger for my S2R 1000 works, fitted & looks great, but the price was a little high! Bought a "Diversion" front fender from Carbon world Great price, finish, fit & arrived in Canada in 3days!
Got some DP Titanium on E-bay & at least it won't crack.