PDA

View Full Version : 2 Pack or cellulose

nambduke
02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Looking for some advice here.....I have some car parts to spray and wondered whether I should use 2 pack or cellulose?

I know the safety issues with 2K but I can take the necessary precautions - air feed mask etc.

Thanks in advance............

Regards,
Mark

Kato
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
If you want a show finish then cellulose is the way to go, if you want hard wearing & dont want to polish it every other week then 2K, you will have to be much more meticulous with your prep if using Cellulose it is also more sensitive to temperature when being applied.......

You might find it tricky to by cellulose due to the new regulations, tell the supplier is for painting furniture and they won't question you, if you mention vehicles you will have to fill out a disclaimer

gremlin
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
it is illegal to spray cellulose onto a motor vehicle, you can still buy it but you will have to sign a disclaimer saying you wont use it for that purpose. modern 1 pack paints are acrylic and are relitively easy to get a good smooth finish, but they are not petrol resistant, and can dull quickly if applied too thick.

CK & AK
02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
it is illegal to spray cellulose onto a motor vehicle, you can still buy it but you will have to sign a disclaimer saying you wont use it for that purpose. modern 1 pack paints are acrylic and are relitively easy to get a good smooth finish, but they are not petrol resistant, and can dull quickly if applied too thick.

Vehicle yes, its illegal (but you can sign a disclaimer) but its not illegal for bikes.
Double check with your local paint shop like Brown Bro.

AK

nambduke
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I wondered why places like Halfords wouldn't sell me a half litre can! Has the world gone made? So am I right in saying I can buy 2K which is cyanide based but not cellulose in bulk?

Paint is for a bike and/or a disclaimer solves the problem......pass me a pen!

I'll see if we have a Brown Brothers still in the area and try there....

Thanks,
Regards,
Mark

gremlin
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I wondered why places like Halfords wouldn't sell me a half litre can! Has the world gone made? So am I right in saying I can buy 2K which is cyanide based but not cellulose in bulk?

Paint is for a bike and/or a disclaimer solves the problem......pass me a pen!

I'll see if we have a Brown Brothers still in the area and try there....

Thanks,
Regards,
Mark

yup, but youcan only buy one type, if i remember correctly its a high solids form, not the stuff trade sprayers tend to use.
if you do a google on the subject, you will find lots of evidence to suggest that cellulose is just (if not more ) hazzardous than 2k

Ak, you may be right, but that was what i was told by my local supplier. :fou:

anyway, if you think buying paint is a headache, you should try to buy battery acid !!! (well around the norwich area) kin nightmare :hissy: